Agra Restaurants

Nice and beautiful dining area
    by businessdev
  • airport/station to Clarks hotel and to Taj
    airport/station to Clarks hotel and to...
    by PeterVancouver
    Between Taj and entrance
    by toonhut

Most Recent Restaurants in Agra

• BIKANERVALA: Don't miss variety of Indian Cuisine & Sweets

by businessdev Written Sep 26, 2012
    Nice and beautiful dining area

This place was an accidental find as no agent/tout near the Taj mahal told us about it. While walking in the main street of Agra - sadar bazaar, almost every local walking by, pointed us to this place.

Sadar bazaar is the main shopping street of agra, which is very near to the Taj Mahal. If you staying in the city, you can take a short drive to sadar bazaar (all distances are short in Agra say about 10 minutes drive). You anyways might land up at sadar bazar for any shopping.

This restaurant or shop is part of a national brand of Indian Restaurants - Bikanervala. They have been the most renowned food band which sells authentic Indian food from almost every part of the country. Someone - I don't remember his name, told me that they have over hundreds of different food items at their restaurant in any given year.
    OK I forgot to mention - they are vegetarian restaurant. They have a huge selection of deserts - Indian Sweets.

Its more of a family, nice and clean place, but does not serve any alcoholic drinks.

Location - Very conviniently located and an easy find. Ask anyone and he should be able to point you there. They have additional locations within agra itself, so ask only for sadar bazaar location, if you wish to be near the Taj Mahal Area.

Ambiance - The ambiance is very pleasant. Nicely done interiors with comfortable seating, appealing displays and clean setup overall. I could see that they were high on hygiene as probably they are a national chain. They also had a wall art which told me that they have locations all over the world.
    The air condition was working well, lighting was adequate and the overall ambience was inviting.

Taste - I would highly recommend their dosa (from southern india), chana bhatura (from north) and the thali - this had a large variety of oven baked dishes. My son used a chinese platter and that he said was awesome. My wife tried the sweets - Man, was she happy :)

Variety / Range - HUGE is my take. I havent seen any restaurant during my visit to India which had such a vast range of Indian dishes in their menu. Sweets, something that they are known for from eastern, western, central, northern part of India were a great thing to try.

As for drinks, try the local sherbets or smoothies. A must try is their almond milk. Rich with nuts and great taste. They do have a huge lineup of beverages including indian teas and coffee.

Price - Dishes are reasonably priced. Most of the main dishes were approximately 75 - 150 Rs, meaning (at the time) about US$1.5-$3.
    Deserts were all reasonably priced as well. The had italian espresso which was for approximately $1.2. Overall, my family tasted many different dishes and we had to pay around Rs 400 i.e. $8 in USD terms.

Other
    a nice local place with great food and excellent food safety standards. It served various different Indian cuisines, along with other Asian and continental dishes.

If vegetarian is your culinary choice, I am sure you'll enjoy your visit. I can write more, but I guess this is enough to contribute to anyone visiting Agra to see the Taj Mahal. Ask your guide or driver to take you there.

Favorite Dish: We ried several different dishes. I particularly liked the thali (a platter with lot of different indian dishes and breads). Besides I enjoyed the Almond milk with my food. It was awesome to describe the least.

• MM212's Profile Photo

Peshawri: Tandoori/North-west frontier cuisine

by MM212 Updated Apr 16, 2011

Located at the ITC Mughal Sheraton hotel, Peshawri Restaurant is the sister restaurant of the famous Bukhara Restaurant in Delhi. Peshwari serves Indian cuisine from the north-west frontier, which is quite different from other regions, consisting mostly of savoury spicy kebabs and delicious bread, but served with no rice.

• Wine Tasting

• Don't Miss the Moghul Nonveg Food

by raj_barara Updated Apr 4, 2011

The restaurants at Agra serve delicious, mouth watering Mogul Non veg dishes. One should not miss it. The food given at the hotel you are staying in may not satisfy your palate. So go for these restaurants and hope for a never forgetting eating experience.

Favorite Dish: All the Mogul non veg dishes are great especially the chicken dishes. You could go for Tandoori Chicken (Roasted chicken), Chicken curry, or Kadhai chicken and for Mutton they have Mutton Afghani, mutton rogan josh and barbecue.

• bonio's Profile Photo

Riao: Tasty food

by bonio Updated Apr 4, 2011

Very close to the hotel we stopped in and a fraction of the price of their restaurant. We visited twice and enjoyed our food both times and with no unpleasant after effects!
    It's airconditioned inside with a large outdoor eating area too, chose inside ourselves (mozzies). Vegetarian options are very good here and all served with a smile, good prices too.

• toonhut's Profile Photo

Really!: You have been warned

by toonhut Written Mar 28, 2011
    Between Taj and entrance

Be careful of where you choose to eat. Delhi-belly exists. It sounds like awfully trite advice but I have reason. In all my experience of backpacking (and living for years in India) it is safe to assume I can gracefully withstand much of the shabby food that one comes across. However, Agra was spectacular in that sense. At a dhaba (OK, my fault) or even at a LP & Rough Guides favored place like Chiman Puri Wala, I got hit. So fellow travelers, take extra precaution in this city - lightning Can strike you twice.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Rooftop Restaurant at Saniya Palace Hotel

by MalenaN Updated Dec 25, 2010

Eating with a view over Taj Mahal

There are several restaurants and hotels in the Taj Ganj area with a rooftop restaurant. Some have a good view over Taj Mahal, others doesn’t. One of the best views is from Saniya Palace Restaurant and it was also one of the most popular ones. As it can be very hot in Agra it is nice to sit on a rooftop in the evening and feel the breeze, overlooking Taj Mahal and maybe a few kites flying in the air.
    There were quite many flies on the table cloths though!
    I came here for dinner twice and service was good. This is what I paid in July 2010:
    Lemon soda Rs 20
    Plain nan Rs 20
    Navratan korma Rs 120
    Malai Kofta Rs 110

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Restaurant at Hotel Sheela

by MalenaN Written Nov 22, 2010

Breakfast at Hotel Sheela

At Hotel Sheela there is a restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner and you can have both Indian food or western food like pasta. It is a nice relaxing place to sit in, but the bad thing with the restaurant is that there is no roof over the outdoor area to protect you from rain, and inside the air condition is too cold. To me it looked nicer in old photos when there was no air-conditioned indoor area.
    I was disappointed that there were no fresh fruit juices on the menu. This is what I paid for a few things in July 2010:
    Black coffee Rs 20
    French fries

• illumina's Profile Photo

Saroj Restaurant: Friendly welcome

by illumina Written Mar 4, 2010

I remember very friendly people running this place. We had a lovely aloo tomato curry with chapattis, which cost 90rupees. Handily this place was just across the road from the Shanti Lodge Hotel.

Their business card subtitles restaurant 'Tibetan Kitchen', and advertises Chinese, Continental, Korean and Japanese food too, but the local dishes are good quality.

• Sheena: Sheena

by berttie73 Written Jan 21, 2009

The rough guide described it as the only place worth going to near the Taj, and it was good.
    Just outside on the left by the East Gate, the only place that did not have people outside trying to drag you in
    Food was better than the other places we had had in town and a lot cheaper, i liked it

Berttie

• 850prc's Profile Photo

Only Restaurant: The ONLY restaurant in Agra

by 850prc Updated Oct 30, 2008

Sara's massive egg roll at Only.  (see above tip)

OK, by now you see the "only restaurant in Agra" joke. This place is called "ONLY". It was recommended to us by our local host (Mr. Nadeem Khan, see my separate tip concerning Nadeem) in Agra. We asked for a nice local place with good food and excellent food safety standards. He said that Only would make us happy, and that it served Indian food, along with other Asian dishes.

The ride to Only from our hotel (which is out near the East Gate of the Taj) only took about 10 minutes, and that's because of heavy traffic. Only is a pleasant little place with an interesting and simple interior.... the entire ceiling on the inside is made up of heavily lacquered bamboo. We were in Agra during a dry season, and we surmised that Only MIGHT have a little leak problem when the monsoons happen. Confirming our suspicions, we saw a "roped off table" and some strategically placed buckets over in the corner. :)

The food at Only is good and tasty. It's nothing fancy, and it's probably geared a little more to the Anglo-American visitor than the native Agran, meaning that it's not quite as spicy as you'd probably find in some less-tourist-visited spots. Still, there's a nice kick to many of the dishes, and I have to tell you that Only had THE best Butter Chicken that I had on my trip. A perfect sauce with a nice complexity - one of those items that each time you savored it, another of the spices would get your attention. VERY good. As for the tourist label, do consider this... Only is a recommended entry in the Rough Guide to India, 2008. These guys generally have a true disdain for anything they feel is totally tourist, so perhaps Only is a bit more genuine than I may have indicated. Whatever its culinary DNA, I think you'll enjoy your visit.

My daughter had one of the Chinese dishes, and she was pleased. There was one very funny part. Sara wanted an egg roll, and when it came, it was maybe 10 times larger than the sort of egg roll you'd see at a Chinese restaurant in America. It's a good thing that we didn't get her two, I'd say. The photo below shows Sara's giant egg roll.

Only is a good place to go if you'd like to eat somewhere other than your hotel. Good food, friendly service, moderate prices and excellent food safety. Oh yes, one other important thing.... they have a very functional air conditioner.

Favorite Dish: As I say above, their Butter Chicken was the best I've ever had. Perfect. I'm still thinking about it. Like I say, the sauce was layered in complexity. I think that it's really cool when you can keep getting different sensations and tastes as you eat the same sauce... that's really a mark of very special spicing and blend.

As for drinks, I highly recommend - anywhere in India - to get yourself a cold Kingfisher Beer. Tasty brew indeed.

Dishes are reasonably priced. Most of the main dishes were approximately 150-200 Rs, meaning (at the time) about US$3-$4.

• NYTim's Profile Photo

Only: Great Grub

by NYTim Written Oct 28, 2008

The place has a Hawaiian feel to it because of the bamboo and palm decor. It was packed with tourists from buses but as I was dining alone i was able to get a seat. This place was recommended by my guide book.

Favorite Dish: I had a nice creamy chicken massala, nan bread and Kingfisher Beer -- all good.

• Beer Tasting

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

Motel Gangaur: on Agra-Jaipur road

by uglyscot Written Dec 9, 2007

Motel Gangaur

The restaurant was clean and the service good. We wanted our driver to eat with us, and realised why he refused, as most of the clientele were tourists and Indian families or businessmen.

Favorite Dish: The food was excellent. I ordered sweet corn soup which was very tasty for 110 rupees, Melai kofta [potato dumplings] which were delicious for 320 rupees. My husband had Kadai mushroom for 315 rupees, also very good.

• Priya Restaurant: Don't miss the opportunity to hv great food

by johndenham Written Oct 16, 2007

We were glad to be suggested this restaurant other than our hotel's, so we gave it a try.

The quality of food was just outstanding & the service is also good.There is a puppet show going on for entertaining the clients which is free of cost.I just love the whole things which are going on.

Favorite Dish: Shan-E-Priya
    In my opinion it is the pride of Priya.It is a complete package for 4 persons.The way it is served that was amazing.

• Priya Restaurant: Don't miss the opportunity to hv great food

by GauravGupta Written Oct 16, 2007

Favorite Dish: Shan-E-Priya

• BIKANERVALA: WOW so much to offer at One place - Not to miss

by businessdev Written Aug 29, 2007

I was pleasantly surprised to see such an awesome restaurant in Agra, much exceeded my expectations. Agra is my native place and I've been travelling to agra almost everytime I go to India, although my folks have moved out of the area.

I know of many places to eat in agra, but when someone mentioned to me about this restaurant, I wanted to visit it, and try for myself. Being a vegetarian, it was a delight.

They had it all, Indian Chinese, Continental, Gujrati, Rajasthani, Mughali alongwith Indian a wide variety of Indian Snacks, and a beautiful array of Indian Sweets, deserts and more... Although I could not feast on all items (the counter boy said they make some 700+ items in a year) as the range was HUGE, but the four things I tasted, I thoroughly enjoyed. In the midst of a hot season in Agra, this fully air conditioned restaurant with something for all age group is a recommendation I'd make.

Favorite Dish: Pao Bhaji
    Paani Puri
    Chole Bhatura
    Raj Kachori
    Kulfi Faluda

Other items I would have love to eat (although I ran out of tummy space)
    Dal Makhani
    Masala Dosa
    Idli
    Dhokla

and some bengali sweets alongwith Badam Milk

Instant Answers: Agra

Agra Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Agra restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Agra sightseeing.