Agra Restaurants

Nice and beautiful dining area
    by businessdev
  • airport/station to Clarks hotel and to Taj
    airport/station to Clarks hotel and to...
    by PeterVancouver
    Between Taj and entrance
    by toonhut

Best Rated Restaurants in Agra

• 850prc's Profile Photo

Only Restaurant: The ONLY restaurant in Agra

by 850prc Updated Oct 30, 2008

OK, by now you see the "only restaurant in Agra" joke. This place is called "ONLY". It was recommended to us by our local host (Mr. Nadeem Khan, see my separate tip concerning Nadeem) in Agra. We asked for a nice local place with good food and excellent food safety standards. He said that Only would make us happy, and that it served Indian food, along with other Asian dishes.

The ride to Only from our hotel (which is out near the East Gate of the Taj) only took about 10 minutes, and that's because of heavy traffic. Only is a pleasant little place with an interesting and simple interior.... the entire ceiling on the inside is made up of heavily lacquered bamboo. We were in Agra during a dry season, and we surmised that Only MIGHT have a little leak problem when the monsoons happen. Confirming our suspicions, we saw a "roped off table" and some strategically placed buckets over in the corner. :)

The food at Only is good and tasty. It's nothing fancy, and it's probably geared a little more to the Anglo-American visitor than the native Agran, meaning that it's not quite as spicy as you'd probably find in some less-tourist-visited spots. Still, there's a nice kick to many of the dishes, and I have to tell you that Only had THE best Butter Chicken that I had on my trip. A perfect sauce with a nice complexity - one of those items that each time you savored it, another of the spices would get your attention. VERY good. As for the tourist label, do consider this... Only is a recommended entry in the Rough Guide to India, 2008. These guys generally have a true disdain for anything they feel is totally tourist, so perhaps Only is a bit more genuine than I may have indicated. Whatever its culinary DNA, I think you'll enjoy your visit.

My daughter had one of the Chinese dishes, and she was pleased. There was one very funny part. Sara wanted an egg roll, and when it came, it was maybe 10 times larger than the sort of egg roll you'd see at a Chinese restaurant in America. It's a good thing that we didn't get her two, I'd say. The photo below shows Sara's giant egg roll.

Only is a good place to go if you'd like to eat somewhere other than your hotel. Good food, friendly service, moderate prices and excellent food safety. Oh yes, one other important thing.... they have a very functional air conditioner.

Favorite Dish: As I say above, their Butter Chicken was the best I've ever had. Perfect. I'm still thinking about it. Like I say, the sauce was layered in complexity. I think that it's really cool when you can keep getting different sensations and tastes as you eat the same sauce... that's really a mark of very special spicing and blend.

As for drinks, I highly recommend - anywhere in India - to get yourself a cold Kingfisher Beer. Tasty brew indeed.

Dishes are reasonably priced. Most of the main dishes were approximately 150-200 Rs, meaning (at the time) about US$3-$4.

Sara's massive egg roll at Only.  (see above tip) Exterior view, The Only Restaurant in Agra Look for this sign

• thelittlevoice's Profile Photo

Pizza Hut: Pizza Hut

by thelittlevoice Written Apr 18, 2004

If I recommend this place at other places, people will say I'm stupid but you'll thank me I do it here :)

I personally can't take any Indian food so this was the best place to have something different. May I just say that time spending in Pizza Hut was the best time I had in India?!!

Favorite Dish: Ebony and Ivory...it's vanilla ice cream with a brownie. I felt like heaven since the first bite! It's 50 Rupees.

• thelittlevoice's Profile Photo

Indiana Restaurant: Indian Restaurant

by thelittlevoice Written Apr 19, 2004

This is probably one of the places that your drivers would take you to. My auto's driver also took me here. I just had a simple chicken fried rice and some naan, they're both good.

What I don't like about it though is that the waiter kept mentioning he wanted tips.

• shintarojon's Profile Photo

Gulzan Lodge & Restaurant: Better than others....

by shintarojon Written Mar 9, 2004

Not bad! Better compared to others! Just prepare only yourself for an unsanitary food preparations>>>this makes food tastier?!

Favorite Dish: (last date visited - Jan. 25, 2004)

Breakfast:
    1. spaghetti italiana - Rs 25

Dinner:
    1. kashmiri buriani - Rs 35
    2. lemon tea (half pot) - Rs 15

• shintarojon's Profile Photo

Lucky Restaurant: Am not lucky enough...

by shintarojon Updated Mar 8, 2004

I was with other Hongkong travellers and we took our lunch in this resto. The local guy who served us gave us dirty glasses.

There was a fly too inside my glass and I even told him to replace my glass. What he did was he removed the fly and he did'nt change my glass! But I insisted him to change it and he did!

I guess, am not really lucky enough...

Favorite Dish: (as of Jan. 24, 2004)

Lunch:
    1. vegetable rice buriani - Rs 35
    2. tea with mint - (big size) - Rs 20

Fly

• zumodemango's Profile Photo

Joney's place: Small but very nice

by zumodemango Written Oct 5, 2004

It's is a very small place in Taj Ganj area. We met there two Spaniards from Palma de Mallorca and we were speaking with them about the adventures we had!
    The waiter was very happy when he knew that we were Spanish because the restaurant is in a Spanish book about India adn he showed us the photocopies!

Favorite Dish: The best thing, in my opinion, are lassis. The best ones i tried and breakfast are good , too!
    It's good when you are tired refresh with a lassi!

Peshawri: Yet Another Great Tandoori Cuisine

by Audrey118 Written May 5, 2004

Sister restaurant to the well known Bukkhara in New Delhi (voted one of the 7 top restaurants in the world???), this is really the young twin. Looks identical in setting, decor, albeit slightly smaller and less bustling.

The menu delightfully similarly, but better priced.

I was not hungry and opted for some roti...and geez - it was almost like pizza. Roti with tomato base complete with cheeze toppping...very greasy but still finger licking goood. Sharrie had the works; yummy crispy roti in the shape of a violin like, and of course more chicken!!!

• radz's Profile Photo

Dashprakash: Nice place to have lunch.

by radz Written Dec 21, 2003

This Restaurant nice place for breakfast,lunch..After all sighseeing at Taj,fort where one can have lunch :)
    Yes Agra u have many restaurants near Taj ganj.

Favorite Dish: They do have Indian &few other International
    dishes.
    My favouriste is Lasgne,where u get veg Lasgne :))
    Try Indian foods too.

Dashprakash
    • Women's Travel
    • Seniors

• diageva's Profile Photo

At the city: Restaurants at the city

by diageva Written Aug 25, 2004

There are lots of terrace to eat something at the centre, at a walking distance from Taj Mahal. You have some directions at Lonely Planet, but ... they are all nearly the same, none of them really great, just a place to have something. The difference is that at the ones at the guides you will find one or two tourist.
    Just remember that is very easy to get stomach problems, so if you need to travel the next day have special care. Avoid things that need refrigerating cause as electricity goes sometimes these things are not in good conditions.
    You will not find this places very clean.

Terrace Restaurant

• Audrey118's Profile Photo

ONLY restaurant: the very famous Only restaurant

by Audrey118 Written Apr 21, 2004

When I first read of Only Restaurant...i thot the VTers were playing a prank...not to realise that indeed it was a very good restaurant. The biz card claims that it is recommended by Govt of India Ministry of Tourism, Lonely Plante, Glove Trotter, UP Tourism.,.....maybe they should print VirtualTourst on it as well.

The restaurant has a small but well kept garden...see pic

• RAJASTHANBYCAR's Profile Photo

Shivskash Restaurant: Shivakash Restaurant

by RAJASTHANBYCAR Updated Apr 8, 2007

After the visit to the Taj Mahal.We had our first Indian dinner in this restaurant.Indian beer is servrd ice-cold, and the lassi is very nice.
    We tried both vegand non-veg food.The chicken curry is very nice, and also paneer masala is delicious.The pottions are quite big and well served-service is ok and price reasonable Chiara & Luca Udine-italy.

Our Food Resturant Food
    • Beer Tasting
    • Seniors

• tremendopunto's Profile Photo

Only rooftops!!! For the view over the Taj!

by tremendopunto Updated Aug 2, 2007

There is only ONE way of having breakfast, lunch, dinner in the Taj Ganj quarter:

You just have to take it on one of the trillions of rooftops, for this view over the TAJ MAHAL! Everything else would be a crime! Everything goes here with the Taj, and who wants to miss that?
    Whatever your meal might be, it tastes waaaaaaaay better with a look on the Taj!

rooftop view on a monsoon day Omed enjoys the view ok, but the view is FANCY!

• tremendopunto's Profile Photo

Karma beer: Do something for your Karma!

by tremendopunto Updated Sep 13, 2006

When in Rome - do it as the Romans do!
    So stick to the local stuff! On my daily search for the best Indian beer, I found this funny-named KARMA beer. So you drink it AND do something good for your Karma at the same time, or what ?!?

Do something good for your KARMA

Only Restaurant: Thali

by Audrey118 Written Apr 21, 2004

I ordered this thali - which is like set dinner. It is very popular in India, and it comes with silver platter and smaller dishes inside. They have rice, some roti (bread) and accompaniment of vegetarian and non vegetarian dishes. Some of the dishes inside were not my favourite n the waiter was so kind to change it to some others. I particularly enjoyed a vegetable dish whcih had nuts, cauliflower and bananas in it. I was a little concern over that dish having some raw stuff...but I never had any stomach problem. It was very very enjoyable. Portions were also big, I never finish my meal

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo

Shanti Lodge Restaurant: Dinner on the rooftop

by kentishgirl Updated Apr 11, 2007

This is a fabulous budget restaurant with a fantastic view of the Taj Mahal.
    The food here is great, the service is good and the menu is diverse.

Favorite Dish:
    Offering local Indian cusine, with as always in India a huge Vegetarian selection. We ate here for four nights in a row! They serve breakfast, Lunch and dinner and if you sit up here in day you can see all of the monkeys on the surrounding rooftops.
    As we were staying here we could also eat in our room if we wanted to.

Us eating at the Shanti Lodge

Instant Answers: Agra

Agra Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Agra restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Agra sightseeing.