Lucknow Local Customs

cureous girls
    Hindustan 10th January
    by irisbe
  • stray dog catching some rest in the Wintery sun
    stray dog catching some rest in the...

Most Recent Local Customs in Lucknow

Photo shooting of people

by irisbe Updated Aug 1, 2011

flower vendor at Ganj

I have never been to any place before where people mostly liked so much to have their picture taken. But still if possible it is best to ask first. In some situations they might object and then you have to respect this.
    In some cases it is almost impossible to ask, but take pictures as you think would describe best the situation. Our guide often wondered why I would take picture of elder people and I had to explain that their faces tells so much of the history of their lifes. Each wrinkle tells a story.
    Of course children as well are such a greatful subject. With their lovely smiles and twinkling eyes they just lighten op your day. Even at a degree of15 celcius, they can warm you up from within.
    It happened frequently people came to aks if they could be at your picture and if you really want to make them happy you should show the result. Pity there is no time to give them a printed version, that would have been the summum.

So often it happened that if I photographed a vendor in the street all the others were like teasing him with you get famous and all that stuff :) and secretly but not unnoticed they would straighten up their backs, turn their heads toward you and hoping you would photograph them as well. I was a bit embarassed to see sometimes disappointed faces if I just walked by without taking a snap.
    I was not used to this as I was still too shy to go very near to make the best pictures but maybe next time I will ;)

At the other hand, if people come to you and ask if they could take a picture of you and preferable be with you on the picture, then just be polite, smile and say ofcourse? why not?
    I think this openess should come from both sides. You might wonder what they will do with yours? show off to their friends ? but then what am I doing with theirs? showing of on here ofcourse!
    live and let live, be polite and open and hope it comes back at you... good karma :)

Ganj

by irisbe Updated Aug 1, 2011

Hindustan 10th January

Pouring their heart out for Ganj.
    That was the heading of the article at Metro page 3 of the Hindustan Times on Lucknow on Monday 10th of January.
    It was published the day after our arrival and are rather unnoticed strolling along the main street called Ganj. At the same page it said that 3.4 degrees cold wrap continues.

Indeed, we just escaped a very cold Delhi and on our first day at Lucknow we were welcomed by a shy sun. The temperature raised till 16 degreees celcius and walking in the sunshine gave us a great boost. The busy street of Ganj got repainted in yellow and pink... new green fences, romantic streetlights and benches were added while the crowed was passing by. We spotted a coffee shop and a bench in the sun so we decided to go over there and treath ourselves on a cup of coffee and a little rest in the sun. Suddenly there was this tumult and a main with a canvas rushed our direction, followed by an exited crowd of pupils and journalists.
    He put his canvas just next tu our bench and started to paint the street. The eyes of the journalists turned our direction... a group of foreigners, here? so within two minutes we were questions on why were visiting, if we liked the city (we just got here 2 hours ago) and how long we would be staying etc etc. I told them I was hapily suprised with the brightness of this street and that it started to look so nice. My companion who was here before could only confirm that it was quite a metamorphose with the last year he was here.
    So there we were in the newspaper, the Enlgish version titled: new avatar wows foreign tourists and our campanion got quoted as being Professor of history in Belgium University. I think that should be a Belgian University.
    He got his picture and bigger article in the Hindi version of the Hinustan times. Lucky he knows Hindi.
    Ofcouse this was not all about us. It was about a Goeroe painter from Bihar lectureing at the Lucknow Academy and he was fast painting 11 places of the new (not yet finished) street.
    We thought we would got rid of the journalists... oh yes... but not of the photographers.
    When you are a caucasian lady with a big camera taking pictures of their local proud as the Ganj then you are hunted by clicking cameras. I have no idea how many they took and where my pictures is or was published, but who knows if you are from Lucknow you found out :)
    I hope to get my hands on that picture taken by one of my friends when 6 photographers are sitting there in front shooting me :) figuratively.

Stray dogs

by irisbe Written Jul 28, 2011

stray dog catching some rest in the Wintery sun

I was not suprised to find so many stray dogs in Lucknow: in the parcs, in the street, and near litter containers, in search of food.
    I think it is wise you don't touch them because they can have flee, but some have a high hug factor.
    It is unbelievable how quiet and friendly these dogs are... let's say most of them are just afraid and never ever once we encountered any problem with them. I assume that a dog with big apetite and no food to have it satisfied would turn nasty... but no, not at all.
    They just make a part of the street and parc life and they are in a way little litter cans as they consume what we throw away (although that is very little here!).

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Washing

by Willettsworld Written Jun 23, 2007

Wherever you find water in India, you'll bound to find people washing clothes or themselves in it! These people were washing very colourful sheets and other garments and they were then hung neatly on lines to dry beside the river. You can see some guys scrubbing and beating clothes against purposely made stones that are set an equal distant apart from each other. It was some operation.

• Incredible_India's Profile Photo

Be Polite.

by Incredible_India Written Mar 14, 2004

Lucknowites are very kind and helpful, Well it's all over India guest are treated as God, but especially in Lucknow people are very soft spoken, so they donot like people talking to them in rude tone and using impolite words.
    Be respectful to all and then see the love showered on you.
    We donot value people with money but with heart, so if you are kind and sweet you are welcomed by all, be it Hindu or Muslim.

Instant Answers: Lucknow

Comments

Lucknow Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Lucknow local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lucknow sightseeing.