Varanasi Favorites

by TracyLB

Most Recent Favorites in Varanasi

Street scene

by l_joo Written Mar 8, 2005

Favorite thing: Perhaps after looking at this street scene, I should keep silence on what happened on the street in my country. I think almost every big or small town of India, the situation of traffics are about the same. Drivers here must learn how to punch the horn more than how to drive properly, what do you think?

by l_joo Written Mar 8, 2005

Favorite thing: This is a goat eating the flowers that peoples put on the dead people, the moment they dumped into the river, the goat can eat as breakfast perhaps. Then worldwide tourists can take their boat ride here to snap photos insanely, with video cam, digi cam, SLR, compact etc. I was here too, on the central platform looking at all these, 3000 years of tradition unchanged.

by l_joo Written Mar 8, 2005

Fondest memory: You can see my shadow on the cremation site, the sunlight was strong, good photo opportunity. There's a goat waiting there to eat whatever possible, nobody care, they care more on the fire I guessed. Temperature here was quite high, not so comfortable to stand too long but for taking photos.

by l_joo Written Mar 8, 2005

Favorite thing: At first I thought to look at such thing was very difficult, but when I was there, I saw they did this endlessly and open to public. I walked here many times to look what they have and I saw some rich peoples performing some cremation rituals of pouring water into the dead people's mouth and while they do this, other peoples busy washing clothes less than 20 feet beside and goats waiting to eat the flowers which they had on the deap people, two peoples busy searching the river nearby this crematorium, for probably valuable stuffs. I put my digital camera close to my jacket partly hidden to snap all the photos.

Going to school

by l_joo Updated Mar 6, 2005

Favorite thing: Picture is a school and young hopeful students are busy going home after class. The reason I upload this picture was the boat boy that morning told me his father died when he was very young, so he could not read write and had to wash plate at small age until now. Now he can speak simple English and he worked for the hotel in the restaurant for some 3000Rs a month but 1000Rs only after new boss came. So he had to take boat as side income, 200Rs for 2 hours of ride and share 50-50 with boat owner.

Somebody's home?

by l_joo Written Feb 27, 2005

Favorite thing: This picture is perhaps somebody's home, I'm not so sure but I saw so many such scenes in this city. If you want to know what is this, best to ask a local Varanasian. I met a good well educated young man on train, he was a Varanasi born went to New Delhi for study. Told me quite a lot about Varanasi in good fluent English, he loves his country for sure and wanted so eager to ask tourist's opinion about his hometown, so I told him some and we chat for hours, nice man I met.

Varanasian fuel

by l_joo Written Feb 27, 2005

Favorite thing: If I take a tuk-tuk, the driver most probably will stop at this petrol station for few ruppees of refill. While waiting, I usually take photo, so here is a Varanasi refill picture. One noticeable thing in refill was the pump attendant would pour a small cup of additional 2T oil into the machine somewhere up front, probably some kind of services.

Local inhabitants

by l_joo Written Feb 26, 2005

Favorite thing: This is one of the local peoples near the ghats, the way they live. Don't ask me what they do here, it just a photo. I like the way the photo look, so I want to share here. You can see inside the door is always very dark, probably they don't switch on lights at day time or some other reasons.

Semi aerial view

by l_joo Written Feb 24, 2005

Favorite thing: Took this picture on the rooftop of my hotel. This is a good point to shoot good Varanasi photos if you have good strong lenses, but I don't. Houses here almost all built flat top with cement. They don't build Greco-Roman rooftop, very Varanasi perhaps.

Traffic policemen

by l_joo Written Feb 24, 2005

Favorite thing: The junction here were controlled by policemen each take turns to do the job. The chairs are for them to sit or rest. Probably traffic lights won't work in this city. There are too many cows, dogs, pigs and small individual vehicles going at different speeds, so maybe policemen are better way for them.

At work

by l_joo Written Feb 24, 2005

Favorite thing: In narrow street here, heavy machines are not a good idea, that's why they use man powers for works like this. This is in front of our hotel, I saw them working two days in two peoples carrying tools as shown. Then I saw cows dogs etc walked on it before the cement dry. The third day, I saw some parts already broken and few drops of cow dungs on the new surface.

What is this?

by l_joo Written Feb 24, 2005

Favorite thing: This is something really special I saw in Varanasi in local peoples' house. This is actually a mail box built beside the door, so that postman can easily drop the mails into it. Probably in the other side has a box but I stood outside couldn't see anything.

Door

by l_joo Written Feb 24, 2005

Favorite thing: Picture is a house door taken by me. This door is nothing so special but it is from Varanasi and that makes it special. Not many peoples would upload a door to show you but I. Looking at a door is part of my travel experience, why not build as a tip.

Architecture

by l_joo Written Feb 24, 2005

Favorite thing: Somewhere in Varanasi I took this photo. Nothing particular to tell but as general tip for readers to have a glance at how Varanasi look on street. Cows can be anywhere, cars, bikes, bicysles, trishaw, rickshaw, autorickshaw, horses, truck, van, etc and pedestrains. You can see dogs, donkeys, buffalos, monkeys too.

Sadhu

by l_joo Written Feb 24, 2005

Favorite thing: Sadhu is some kind of religious peoples who want to practice their religious lifestyle in such a way to challenge their ownselves for some attainments for better next life, this is my explaination and what I knew so far. I haven't yet practice such way of lifestyle, nothing to tell you but only watch from a distance and read some from others.

Instant Answers: Varanasi

Comments

Varanasi Favorites

Reviews and photos of Varanasi favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Varanasi sightseeing.