Kolkata (Calcutta) Off The Beaten Path

Maulana Abul Kalam Azad
    by zuhur
    A Fox is basking in the Sun.
    by goutammitra
  • Off The Beaten Path
    by goutammitra

Best Rated Off The Beaten Path in Kolkata (Calcutta)

• global-drifter's Profile Photo

Take a tour of Kolkata's Muslim corner.

by global-drifter Written Nov 9, 2010

I get the feeling that this part of town sees few travelers, as before long I have a crowd of people following me. They jostle in position, push and shove in order to get a better view of the westerner in the midst. The braver ones approach me, asking me where I'm from and shake my hand.

After asking if it's alright to take a picture of an eye-catching Mosque, I soon have a group of street children acting as tour guides, showing me their neighborhood and practicing their broken English. They disregard a 'Do Not Enter' sign and show me their pride and joy, a larger than average aquarium, home to several species of fish. There is no light, so I can't quite make out all the fish that they are squealing excitedly about, but I feign a great deal of interest for their benefit. When it comes time to go, the kids ask me for an autograph. They extend their hands, and some even indicate their foreheads for my scrawl. I comply, bemused, but opt instead for paper and ink. I've never given out autographs before, so I don't know quite what to write, but their smiling faces and jubilant attitude tells me I have done well enough.

• Work Abroad

• pix_d_bix's Profile Photo

39 hours among 49 thousand storks

by pix_d_bix Written Feb 17, 2005

The overnight bus from Calcutta travels a little more than 400 kilometers to drop us at Raiganj, in North Dinajpur. A fifteen minutes ride on cycle-rickshaws lead us to the Kulik Bird Sanctuary. On our way we meet our first Asian Openbilled Stork, a lone glider above the Kulik River.
    Later, from the guesthouse we look at trees laden with thousands of nesting storks. Last years census records declare 49,000+. These large white birds with black wingtips and tails derive their name from their bills which always remain open in the middle, probably a tool for breaking open mussels and snails.
    Inside the sanctuary a meandering river is lined up with small trees bending down with birds and nests. Besides Openbilled Storks, we find glistening black Little Cormorants, Median Egrets in breeding plumes, and slate blue Night Herons. The forest floor is strewn with feathers, droppings and broken eggs which attract ants and other insects. A monitor lizard, scurries over dead leaves.
    Before sundown we cruise the river on a dinghy (manual boat). White-throated Kingfishers bob on transmission lines. Pied kingfishers hover and dive-bomb. At a bend of the river we find flocks of Openbilled Storks catching mussels and deftly prying them open for a tasty morsel.
    The next morning we venture into the woods, on the opposite side of the sanctuary. Red capped Babblers flit around. Spotted Doves coo softly into the misty morning air. A Jungle Crow calls out in deep bass. Pond Herons scuttle around water lilies in the marsh. A Blue-throated Barbet keeps repeating, ‘Kuturruk, Kuturruk!’
    Back at the guesthouse, we climb up to the terrace to watch the storks; courting and nest-building. Looking up at the sky, we find thousands of them riding in circles on ascending thermals (hot air currents).
    At nightfall a full moon pops up behind the trees, silhouetting the roosting storks. Trucks rumble on the highway. Crickets sing in choir. The enigma of night descends slowly on Kulik. We pack up to be in time for the night bus.

Open-billed Storks
    • Birdwatching

• jrober37's Profile Photo

Old Neighborhoods

by jrober37 Written Dec 21, 2009

Definitely spend a day in North Calcutta - home of the Babu's. Many interesting sights on Chitpur Road. A second must in Entally below Sealdah Station.

Twin Shiva Temples Jorasanko - Chitpur Road Pathuriaghata Convent Road Entally Monsoonh

Bandel, view at the Ganges

by sachara Updated Aug 27, 2003

In Bandel are beautifull views at the Ganges river. There is a lot of green along the river.
    We enjoyed the rustic and peaceful atmosphere of this area, just a few KMs north of city Calcutta.

Bandel,  the Hooghly River

• sachara's Profile Photo

Bandel, shield of the church

by sachara Updated Aug 27, 2003

The church of Bandel is decorated with a shield "Shrine Basilica Bandel 1599''.
    So if you don't know which church you are visiting -I couldn' t find anything in my guide-book- the shield helps you.

Bandel, church

• sachara's Profile Photo

Bandel, view from the church.

by sachara Updated Aug 27, 2003

From the tower of the church of Bandel you have a nice view at the lifely streets of Bandel.
    In the streets a lot of rickshaws were waiting for new customers.

Streets in Bandel

Bandel, old mosque

by sachara Updated Aug 27, 2003

After our visit to the church in Bandel we visited also the old mosque.
    The mosque has a very nice decorated inner court with a peaceful atmosphere.

Bandel, mosque

Chandernagore, at the riverside

by sachara Updated Aug 27, 2003

In Chandernagore we saw lovely small buildings at the riverside.
    These places are very favourite. The local people liked to visit and to sit here for some time with a nice view at the river.

Chandernagore

• sachara's Profile Photo

Chandernagore, view at the river

by sachara Updated Aug 27, 2003

In Chandernagore there are very beautifull riverviews. The atmosphere is very peaceful.
    The small buildings at the riverside are very inviting to stay there for a while.

Chandernagore, riverview

• goutammitra's Profile Photo

A Bengali Marriage Ceremony-Part-II

by goutammitra Written Feb 28, 2008

Bengali marriage is an elaborate affair. It takes almost 3 days to complete the Bengali Hindu rituals.

• husain's Profile Photo

St. Pauls Cathedral

by husain Updated Mar 8, 2007

another picture...
    couldnt resist clicking one of this guy who was dozing at this interesting spot...

lazy afternoon nap...
    • Business Travel

• billus's Profile Photo

Dakhineswer Temple is about 30...

by billus Updated Aug 24, 2002

Dakhineswer Temple is about 30 kilometers north of Calcutta, but a long 2 hour drive up the congested Trunk Road

Instant Answers: Kolkata (Calcutta)

Comments

Kolkata (Calcutta) Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Kolkata (Calcutta) off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kolkata (Calcutta) sightseeing.

View all Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels