Kolkata (Calcutta) Restaurants

Their Mutton Biryani ( Just okay type)
    Kadai Chicken
    Mutton Pasinda
    by goutammitra

Most Recent Restaurants in Kolkata (Calcutta)

• goutammitra's Profile Photo

The Royal Indian Hotel of Chitpur, Kolkata!: Famous Chhap ( Spareribs) & Biryani

by goutammitra Updated Jul 1, 2011

The Famous Chhanp of Royal.

This is perhaps the Oldest Restaurant in Kolkata, started in the year 1905 by Md.Ahmad who came from Lucknow. It started with very few dishes and soon their Mutton Chhanp ( Spareribs) cooked in spicy Mughal style , became very famous. Those days restaurants mean The Firpos and the Restaurants of Park Street. They were limited to The Europeans and some aristocrat Bengali, who the British allowed.

Soon, the Indian crowd started pouring in and the Royal hotel ( It was popular by this name then) became very famous with their dishes like Biryani, Chhanp, Roomali Roti, Firni ( Rice pudding) and Shahi Tukra ( a sweet dish made of bread and sugar with Kheer) excellent.

Those who like Spicy and Mughal style a visit is must to see the glory days! It is also a perfect example to see how this hotel/ restaurant survived 106 long years without changing the venue and Menu!!!!

Now they have air conditioned section at the top for families but the food tastes the same, just superb. Over the time the business grew and this property is now called Royal Indian Hotel Private Limited, ably run by the grandsons of Mr.Ahmad , MrSohel Ahmed and Mr.Irfan Ahmad.

Md.Sohel & Md.Irfan, Ahmad. 1905 . Lucknow

• goutammitra's Profile Photo

Souravs' at Park Street: Great Sizzler & Lamb Chops!

by goutammitra Updated Apr 4, 2011

We are savouring red wine

On 23rd October, we visited Sourabh's along with our Bangladeshi friend Dr. Mhamud Hassan and his wife. The place is owned by Sourabh Ganguly, the famous cricketer and former captain of Indian cricket team. It is a combination of four restaurants spread over four floors of the building. There is a party section, Bengali food section, Chinese and international food sectioncalled Maharaj to suit every palate and people. The restaurant people will guide you to choose your favourite place and food and shall also help you to select the menu of your choice and wine/ spirits.

This also an exclusive dining place in Kolkata, where you will feel extremely comfortable to treat yourself and your guests. The serving people are extremely polite and helpful. They will suggest about the food, whether it is spicy or may be heavy on you, which makes the place really different than the other Park Street dining places. The waiters dont' look drunkards like many Park Street restaurants. The food and beverages are served with smile & care and dont' just wait for tips for everything they serve. This is surely a welcome place in Park Street dining culture for generations. Kudos to our captain for this place as he has maintained the real Bengali tradition of hospitality for the place and have maintained the perfect ambience.

Favorite Dish: We ordered many dishes as our friend Dr. Mahmud Hassan is a great food lover , has a penchant for fine dining and great taste for good Red wines. While, I like Red wines but he seems to a real Connousier for good wines, so I always leave it to him when it comes to wines. We had the following dishes.

Lamb in Szeehuan sauce, Lamb in Chilli sauce, Prawn in hot garlic sauce, Spaghetti in lamb sauce, lamb chops provaneale, grilled lamb chops, mix grilled sizller & gardens' platter.

• goutammitra's Profile Photo

Mainland China-Part II: Best of Sea Foods!!!!

CHICKEN IN A SAPO.

Our liking for good chinese food brings us to this place again and again. We like to experiment with the vairious type of food available here with our friends and family. Today again( we are one of the regulars here) on 14th Jan07, we had lunch here and this time we selected the menu without much help from the house, though they were quite helpful to suggest us the menu. To our surprise we wre not disappointed neither with the food or the service. Above all their Hostesses Tabassum and Priya were always accomodative when ever we called for table reservation. Tabassum always ensured us the best available seat in the restaurant.
    This time thre was a slight disappointment for me my favourite, Draught Beer was out of stock. I had to satisfy myself with the regular bottled beer, which has lot of Glycerine added as preservative.

Favorite Dish: Well we had many dishes this time and all are favourite. Today we had Crispy Fish Golden Ginger ( Rs.240/- USD 6), Chicken in a Sapo( Rs220/- USD 5.80), Clay Pot Rice Chicken (Rs.165/- USD 4), Fukien Crabmeat Fried Rice( Rs.170/- USD 4), Lamb in Choilli Broth ( Rs.230/- USD 5.80), Mongolian Turkey ( Rs.450/- USD 10), Squids Sichuan Chilli Sauce( Rs.200/- USD 5) and Kingfisher Beer ( Rs140 USD 3 Per Bottle) all these attarct VAT of 10%.

In my view Mongolian Turkey was a disappointment and highly overly priced.

• goutammitra's Profile Photo

Mainland China-Part III: Best of Chinese Food- Part III( Buffet)

by goutammitra Updated Apr 4, 2011

Priya & Tabassum  the hostesses.

At Mainland China you can have excellent Buffet everyday during Lunch time. Priced at Rs400/- Plus Tax about USD 10, per head it is a steal. You have the choice of menu with Turkey, Crabs, Prawns, Chicken and several desserts to end with. You will surely like it. Sundays and holidays are full with many guests having Buffet spreads at Mainland China.

My Tip is not complete if I dont' mention about the Hostesses Tabassum and Priya and the Crew. Well as in all good places some of the crew here too is not helpful or snob(?), or just indefferent ( can they afford to do do!!), you cant expect much from them. But these two beautiful ladies make your day pleasant by apologising and putting the things in order, when their male counter part is ready to spoil your day!!! You certainly dont' want to spoil your day after spending so much of amount of your hard earned money!!!
    I think someday Mr.Chatterjee ( the owner ) will take notice of this.

Favorite Dish: Many!!

But the price is not included the choice of wine or beer! It is only food price I have mentioned.

Rajdhani at Mani Square Mall: The Best Vegetarian Thali meal in Kolkata

by goutammitra Updated Mar 27, 2011

This is surely the best Vegetarian Thali meal, we ever had in Kolkata. Rajdhani is a chain of restaurants all over India, known for serving wholesome and variety of Rajasthani food. It will have Rice, Chapati/ Roti of at least 3 varieties, score of 4/5 vegetables, Chas, pickles, papads,salad, Lentil soup, sweets etc. You can't make so many dishes at home.

The food is very tasty, you are going to love it. Service is a-1 and very high standard of cleanliness is maintained.

The standard Thali costs Rs260/- plus VAT @13.5% , but worth it every penny.

To visit again!

• goutammitra's Profile Photo

Veg Guru at Bangur More, Jessore road: The Best Aloo Pratha & Mix Vegetable in Kolkata!

by goutammitra Updated Dec 25, 2010

We found this wonderful eating house Dhaba ( Small Rustic eatery , serving Punjabi Food) while looking for some food joint for lunch during October/ November 2010. This is when my colleague Chandan Singh suggested, that if I am looking for nice vegetarian food then we must try this. His suggestion was not wrong as here only we tasted our best Aloo Parantha ( Paratha stuffed with Mashed potato)and Mixed Vegetable cooked in pure Punjabi style. Since then we have been visiting them whenever I am working near Dumdum, Bangur or VIP road area. We have tasted their many dishes all cooked in Pure Ghee ( Purified Butter one of the basic ingredients for better vegetarian food) many times since then.

This small eatery at Bangur Crossing ( on Jessore Road) started by soft spoken Sardar Gurbachan Singh in the 1990's. Now it has become very famous for it's mouth watering vegetarian dishes and tandoor dishes made in the evening. This place runs in full swing in the evening time when many people visit them with families for dinner.

Favorite Dish: Aloo Parantha, Mixed Vegetable, Dal Tarka, Masala Kulcha, Paneer Butter Masala, Laccha Paratha Tandoori etc.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

The Big Boss: Chinese Food in Kolkuta

by Callavetta Written Dec 24, 2010

Kolkuta has a large Chinese Hakka population. Since two of our travel party have Hakka roots, they wanted to visit this restaurant in Kolkuta's Chinatown.

We arrived about 1 pm and there were hardly any patrons. When we left at 2:30 the place was packed with people, all Indian.

Favorite Dish: I really enjoyed the food at Big Boss, more actually than I liked in China! The crab hot and sour soup was really good, although it gave me pause to eat something that came out of that river. After all, I've read about what people do in that river.

The Chinese noodles were excellent, as was the roast duck. I was really happy to have something other than Indian food after nearly two weeks in India.

• global-drifter's Profile Photo

Blue Sky Cafe: It may be a tourist haunt, but the food's awesome!

by global-drifter Updated Nov 27, 2010

Favorite Dish: Veg MoMos are fantastic, I opted for the fried variety but you can also get them steamed.

This place also does a decent pizza, but it's the snacks and starters that were the real standout for me.

• global-drifter's Profile Photo

Blue Sky Cafe: Not just a name, but a mighty reputation

by global-drifter Written Nov 9, 2010

I've heard great things about this cafe, from the guidebooks that recommend it to the travelers that frequent it, so I thought I'd try it out. I haven't had a bad meal in India yet, and the trend continues within this fabled haunt of backpackers. The clientele is a 50/50 mix between locals and foreigners, which is always a good sign. The prices are very reasonable. I'm able to buy an elaborate feast for myself and three different beggars, all for under 200 rupees - $5! I buy way more than I could possibly eat, which allows me to try a little of everything whilst sharing the food with those less fortunate. This place does decent western food too, for those who grow weary of Indian food.

Favorite Dish: They do a lot of international snacks really well, like their pizzas and other 'continental fare.'

The veg momos are a delight. They're also best deep fried.

Bachan Singh's Dhaba: Try their Chicken Chaap & Tandoori Roti

by goutammitra Updated Oct 3, 2010

Picture blurred due to frost over the lens.

Kolkata is famous for it's food of various kind. One of these Sundays we tried this Punjabi Dhaba to taste their rustic food. We have been there before but this time with the camera. This place is about 50/60 years old started in 1927 as small tea shop for the Sikh taxi drivers at Rashbehari Avenue, just next to Rashbehari Avenue Gurudwara ( Sikh temple for worship). With time they have developed their business many fold with their good tasty meals and very reasonably price!

They have two sections, one with air conditioning and the non air conditioning but the food remains the same. With many classy people falling for Rustic Punjabi Dhaba food, their business is brisk and very busy. Since, the place is on the main Rashbehari Avenue, parking is a problem, people prefer to visit the place after 10 in the night to taste their food.

Favorite Dish: We had their Chicken Chaap, Chicken Biryani, Kadai Murg & Tandoori roti. Amongst them Chicken Chaap is the best. It will be lot better, if they put little less oil & butter.

• goutammitra's Profile Photo

Balwant Singh's Eating House:: The Oldest Vegetarian Dhaba in the City of Joy!

by goutammitra Written Sep 18, 2010

The Balwant Singh's Eating House at Gurudwara.

My this tip is dedicated to our VT friend Sinjini Bannerjee Ghosh, who is also a great foodie and a great cook herself. This rustic eatery was started in 1928 by Sardar Balwant Sing, who came from Punjab as a freedom fighter with the other freedom fighters and settled at Bhawanipore Gurudwara at 10/B, Harish Mukherjee Road, Kolkata. He started this Dhaba( The rustic eating house) as he found the simpletons, bravadoes from Punjab are finding it very difficult the food of their choice( comprising Roti, Dal, Tadka etc) in the area. That was the time, when the Oldest Dhaba of Kolkata City was born. That time, there was hardly any traffic in the area as the road was small, and the area was almost unknown. Situated next to the Gurudwara ( Prayer house for Sikh Religion), he started making those simple but tasty food, which now attract thousands from the city an attract many celebrity as well, as told by his son Mr.Lakhvinder Singh, who is also the Vice President of " Sri Guru Singh Sabha" of Kolkata. His simple eatery not only fed the ordinary people who came from North India and could not afford high priced meal but in the process, he made many friends as well. His business grew by leaps and bounds as people would get attracted to his sweet behaviour and helping attitude. The tradition is being followed by his very able son Mr.Lakhvinder Singh , his son and daughter ( who lives in London) who are now his flag bearers. They have now opened many posh eating houses in Kolkata like " The Five Rivers" at Mani Square Mall and Dhanoa at Bangalore , the business is in millions today, but the success has not changed the behaviour of soft spoken Mr.Lakhvinder Singh, who promised me to look for a place in South Kolkata as well.

No wonder they have made many followers as well. Their clientèle goes as the great actor Sri Prithwi Raj Kapoor, Raj Kapoor, Uttam Kumar, Dharmendra, Ashish Bidyarthi,Kareena Kapur , great singer Kundan Lal Saigal, Anuradha Paudwal, Hemanta Kumar, Great Movie Director Satyajit Ray, Industrialist Harsh Neotia of Ambuja group the list is very long.

The place has a capacity of accommodating only 30/35 people but hundreds wait outside in their cars and eat.

Favorite Dish: There are many dishes, we like here, but we had Butter Naan, Masala Kulcha, Dal Tadka, Mixed vegetable, Vegetable Cream Masala. But their USP is Roti, Tadka, Tea, Samosa Sarson da sag & Makki di roti.

Tea: Mr.Lakhvinder Singh shared with me that their famous tea is made with a combination of Darjeeling & Assam Tea, and water is not boiled directly over the fire but it is steamed to give it a perfect Dhaba Taste. No wonder the tea tastes great!

South City Mall Food Court: Try Indian & International Food at:

by goutammitra Updated Aug 26, 2010

Subway counter

South City mall has a full fledged Food Court, comprising of more than 20 outlets serving Indian, Thai, South Indian, North Indian, Italian, American and other International food delights. We too frequents these places, whenever we go there for shopping or other related things.

We are also fond of Subway burgers and sandwiches. There is a sitting arrangement for at least a few hundred people.

Roof: Bytes, the Food Court: Cornflakes, Chinese, Pasta, Tandoori all under one

by goutammitra Updated Aug 18, 2010

Indian Chaat

This is one food court, that has come up in the IT hub of Kolkata in Sector V of Salt Lake, Kolkata. The place is opposite Bar Be Que Nation. This place serves foods of various kind like Bengali food, Himalayan delicacies, South Indian , Chinese, Pizza & Pasta, North India, Chaat and so on. All the food stuff is very reasonably priced, place is very clean and self served. We visited there on two consecutive days Saturday & Sunday.

Favorite Dish: We had Indian Chaat, Himalayan Chicken Pasta Sizzler, Chicken Fried, Ice Cream and Coke.

Tung Nam: at Sunyat Sen Street at Territy Bazar: Don't miss their Wanton Soup

by goutammitra Written Jul 6, 2010

Chicken Wanton Soup

The city of Kolkata, has numerous Chinese eating places, most of them has shifted to more spacious place at Tangra, the China Town. But the original China town is at Territy Bazar, near Dalhousie, where there still some Chinese families live. But out of the 15/20 odd Chinese family run restaurants only a few are still there serving home made, cheap, healthy, clean Chinese food, which serves mostly to the office goers a very few come to eat dinner. These places also dont' serve drinks and does not have air conditioning.

We go there regularly to have lunch from the office as the place is situated in the office district. The restaurant is about 112 years old ( next to the famed Nanking restaurant, which is now closed). I have found their meal is excellent, tasty, less spicy and very cheap compared to the Tangra food. Their food is perfect for office lunch.

Favorite Dish: Our all time favourite is Chicken Wanton Soup. I think, I had it at least 50/ 60 times in the last four, five years. Then we also like the mix rice noodles and chicken cooked in Haka Style, fish cooked in Cantonese style. We continue to change the menu. Since it is near my office, I don't carry a camera there and I have taken all the picture with my cell phone. We also keep changing the menu. We have tried so many varieties here that I forget all the names, but I shall now write something on this very small place.

Oh yes! Their clientèle during the day is not bad. They are closed on Tuesday. All dishes are priced less than Rs.100/- or about USD$2. The chicken wanton soup is priced for Rs.50/- or USD$1 enough for two servings! A good meal for two will cost less than Rs200/- or USD$4. Don't you think, it's a deal!

From The kitchen of Maraja Ranjit Singh: Fish Amritsari at Five Rivers

by goutammitra Written Jul 6, 2010

We at the entrance

One of the Sunday in May,10 we decided to give this place a try. As the name suggest, it serves the finest delicacies from Punjab. But we found the buffet has almost everything we wanted to try. We had enough starters, which had Fish Amritsari, Chicken shreds, veg. pakoda, various salads, we were full with starters. The buffet lunch had two rices, fish, mutton curry Punjabi style, chicken cooked in tandoor with gravy and the deserts.

They have tried this menu in the style of Flame Sigree & Grill but I shall still rate the food at Sigree is far better and their grill is excellent. But this place is not bad at all, worth try and a revisit is a must.

The Sunday buffet is priced @Rs.399/- per person, plus you can have drinks at extra cost.

Favorite Dish: Fish Amritsari, we had so much that we almost could not eat or try the menu at lunch!

Instant Answers: Kolkata (Calcutta)

Comments

Kolkata (Calcutta) Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Kolkata (Calcutta) restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kolkata (Calcutta) sightseeing.

View all Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels