Chandigarh Transportation

Most Recent Transportation in Chandigarh

Bus to Kalka

by Willettsworld Written Apr 12, 2007

Most bus stations in India are pretty hectic places and Chandigarh's is no exception. I was staying nearby so it was very handy for me to simply take a bus to Kalka in order to take the Toy Train up to Shimla. The buses leaves leave roughly every hour and take approx an hour. There is one at 9.30am (the one I took) and another at 10.40am and it costs Rs17.

Train

by Willettsworld Written Apr 12, 2007

Chandigarh is very well connected by train. I came here on the early Kalka Shatabdi (No. 2011) which left New Delhi station at 7.40am and arrived at 11.25am (was supposed to be 11am dead but I'll let them off!). A Chair Class seat cost Rs435 and you get plenty of legroom plus breakfast and tea/coffee.

City tour bus

by Willettsworld Written Apr 12, 2007

I saw this double decker bus outside the Rock Garden and even though I didn't use it, I suppose its fairly useful for getting around as its both informative and cheap. Remember, Chandigarh is a large city and all the main sights are a fair distance apart from each other.

A complete whole trip costs Rs25 (without getting on or off) and lasts an hour. If you wish to get off and then back on and only take half a day, it costs Rs50. For a full day, it costs Rs75. It runs in the summer from 9.30am-6.30pm and in the winter from 10am-5pm. It leaves from the parade ground in sector 17.

Auto rickshaws

by Willettsworld Written Apr 12, 2007

For some reason the auto rickshaws are blue in Chandigarh. They operate just like they do in most other places in India i.e. without the meter running, so you have to negotiate and agree on the fair with the driver before getting in. I took one from the station when I first arrived to my hotel in sector 22 and it cost Rs80 (bear in mind that the train station is some 8km away from the city centre). The only other one I took was from my hotel to the Capitol complex (approx 4km) and that costs Rs45. There is a pre-paid booth behind the bus station.

• Well-Connected Chandigarh

by lachydragon Written May 15, 2004

Just a typical Nth Indian bus

Chadigarh is the capital of the Punjab and Haryana and is thus well connected by public buses. My friend and I arrived from Haridwar in Uttaranchal bu bus and then caught one to Kalka North of Chandigarh. The bus stand is located on the corner of Himalaya Marg and Udyog Path where sectros 17, 18, 21 and 22 intersect.

You will be able to walk around and find the bus that I heading your way and usually you will take luggage on with you (everyone seems to put it in the aisles). If it is a standard bus you will pay your fare from a conductor-wallah on board but some buses (to Delhi) etc may run as express or luxury services and these tickets may need to be pre-paid.

As for snacks etc, stops can be too frequent or not nearly frequent enough so I suggest that you buy a few goodies for the trip and take them on with you.

Buses really are a great way to get around and not too much hassle really!

Instant Answers: Chandigarh

Comments

Chandigarh Transportation

Reviews and photos of Chandigarh transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Chandigarh sightseeing.