Unique Places in Delhi

• Off The Beaten Path
  • Off The Beaten Path

Most Viewed Off The Beaten Path in Delhi

• goutammitra's Profile Photo

View of New Delhi from Airplane!

by goutammitra Written Aug 28, 2011

Those who visited New Delhi 3 years ago will get a shock of their life as the Delhi skyline has totally changed for better! New Delhi now has not only better wide roads, buildings, shopping malls but it is also now fully secured. Courtesy Asiad 2010 , they spent money like water and made the city just like an international city which can be compared with any good metro in Europe. We were pleasantly surprised to see it's cleanliness when we visited the city in October'2010.

Please have a look at the New Delhi skyline , the pictures taken from air!

New Delhi from Air. The Green Delhi!
    • Architecture

• 7ContinentsOrBust's Profile Photo

Sewing Machine Donated by Rotary Club of Pacifica

by 7ContinentsOrBust Updated Apr 4, 2011

When I travel to a country, to any new place, rather than just do the touristy things, I like to learn about a culture. I like to see if I can make just a little bit of difference in the lives of the people I meet. If we all did that, wouldn't the world be a better place?

My Rotary club back home in Pacifica,California donated a number of sewing machines and educational supplies to this school, which was started by the Rotary Club of Delhi.

The Rotarians in Delhi who started this school are really an inspiration to us all.

Working hard with a new sewing machine.
    • Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad

• husain's Profile Photo

shooting the NSG drills

by husain Updated Apr 4, 2011

The NSG provides security to VIP's, conducts anti-sabotage checks, and deals with terrorist threats. Its many drills are meant to tune them to engage terrorists in specific situations, responding to hijacking in the air or land, and responding to hostages situations...
    Needless to say the drills were more about guns than roses

commandos carrying out a drill
    • Business Travel

• 37SingleMaleInDubai1's Profile Photo

Grilled corn on the cob is a great Snack!!

by 37SingleMaleInDubai1 Updated Sep 16, 2010

Hi there Travelers :-)
    Something that I love the most as a snack is the Grilled corn on the cob. Its widely available in various parts of Delhi (During the season from May to October:-) and its a tasty snack!! Its a way of earning few rupees for many and it costs 10 Rupees per Corn (About 20 American cents) Cheap :-)
    But the catch is after grilling they apply some lemon with Masalla (Salt and Herbs mixed) to the corn. I always ask the person preparing my corn cub to apply lemon and Masalla before keeping it on the fire for grilling. Their hands touch everywhere and after the corn cub is grilled by applying lemon and Masalla they add a lot of germs to the Corn Cob. I prefer they apply those before grilling, so the germs gets cooked as well, frankly cooked germs taste better :-) and less harmful!!
    The following pictures are taken when I was near a corn cob stand and they (Two Indian ladies) prepared me 3 sweet corn on the cob and I loved the taste!! :-) Since I don't take prepared food because of hygiene matters daily I take some corn cobs as a snack and rest at home such as Tuna fish , fresh fruits and Vegetables and sometimes canned food. In addition to visiting KFC, Subway, MacDonalds, ETC.... :-)
    Go ahead and enjoy yourself with one or more Grilled corn on the cob :-)

• Singles

• alycat's Profile Photo

Hear well...meet Dr Clean up

by alycat Updated Apr 26, 2009

Take a walk round Old delhi, chandni chowk, chawri bazar and you will find a lot of interesting things happening around you.

I guess the royalty is still alive and thriving here, I found this guy getting his ears cleaned near Sunehri mosque, Chandni chowk. Cleaning your ears is such a simple and personal errand to do, but no I think royals didnt bother to do that themselves, so here is one for you....:

Roadside saloons

by Rupanworld Written Feb 1, 2009

Ever thought about having a haircut or shave at a streetside saloon? They are pretty cheap in India. A haircut for Rs. 15 (25 euro cents approx) and shave for the same amount I guess. I know some of my VT friends have given it a try and do recommend it :)

Underground police station

by Rupanworld Written Feb 1, 2009

I guess this must not be an amazing thing for most of the tourists from the developed nations of the world, but it is unusual for India. Just in front of the Red Fort, on the main road, one can see the underground police station. Ever since the Red Fort has been given the status of a UNESCO World Heritage, it has been decided that all facilities will be made underground, including transport facilities and the police station (!) in the area around the Red Fort in order to ensure better visibily of the Fort and to help tourists take advantage of less congested area around. I found this really interesting.

Begum Samru's palace

by Rupanworld Written Jan 27, 2009

Begum Samru's palace is located in the Chandni Chowk area of Delhi. It was built in 1822 AD on 75 acres land in the area by a witty Kashmiri Muslim women who later married an English soldier and lived in the same palatial house. The building was then called the Dilkhusa Kothi and she was famous among the social circles for throwing lavish parties at her house. Today, the building is called the Bhagirath Palace and it houses North India's biggest electrical goods wholesale market. It was once one of the biggest and most beautiful houses of Delhi with huge columns and large rooms.

How it looked like-courtesy: www.indianholiday.com

• dmac4418's Profile Photo

Be spiritually open-minded

by dmac4418 Written Jan 1, 2009

when walking around India, especially the smaller villages, keep an ear open for the chanting and singing that occurs in the early mornings. It's everything you visualize about India and you are suddenly right in the center of it. Not only the sounds, but take note of the smells of the incense burning, or the bread baking in the wood stove ovens in the tiny homes.

• vpas's Profile Photo

a few holy rivers of india

by vpas Written Jun 25, 2008

The ganges which is the most sacred of the Indian rivers is in varanasi,old name benaras,also called kasi.you could go by train.Some parts of it are not clean.there are ofcourse many other temples that have a river running close by where people bathe.According to our beliefs it helps us overcome our sins and elevates us towards Godhead.
    You could also visit Haridwar,and Rishikesh which are closer to Delhi and are less crowded and cleaner and also are very holy.

• Religious Travel

• NedHopkins's Profile Photo

Aggressive camel jockeys

by NedHopkins Updated Nov 7, 2007

Just over the Hapur Bypass, a bridge over the Yamuna River, I asked my tuk-tuk driver to stop so I could get a picture of these camels. After I took my shot, someone approached the tuk-tuk and demanded 100 rupees. I didn't know he had some connection to the riders; he must have, because when I refused the four camels boxed us in. They held us captive for a couple of minutes. The riders' audacity angered me; I said 'No money!,' my driver said something (in Hindi I assume); and the camels moved off.

• NedHopkins's Profile Photo

The 'third sex'

by NedHopkins Written Nov 6, 2007

Hajiras are voluntary eunuchs (or nullos). The greatest concentration of these members of the 'third sex' is in Mumbai; Delhi, however, also has a large community. In both cities, and elsewhere, they make their livings mostly by singing and dancing -- at weddings, parties of many kinds, and store-openings.

I saw this group in Chandni Chowk. Another tourist stood close to them, took a picture, and was immediately importuned for a 'donation.' I backed away. A bit later I saw a chance to take a photo from a distance. . . .

Though generally held in contempt by most Indians, a hajira recently won election in an important state election. After nearly seven (7) years of George W Bush, I'd probably vote for a hajira myself.

Hajiras about to entertain in front of a new shop

a rare view point

by jag_hond Written Feb 27, 2007

i think a trip to the Jama masjid is a must for anyone who visits delhi. whether one's interested in history, architecture, or just some peace and quiet. but more importantly, one thing people often miss out on is the minaret in jama masjid.

if u visit at a time which is NOT the prayer time, for a small fee, one is allowed to climb into and up one of the minarets of jama masjid. there's something wonderful about that place. there's a constant breeze and gives a rare view of that part of delhi, particularly the complete layout of chandni chowk.

I love everything about that minaret - the smell, the feeling, the sight..

but beware - sometimes the guys in charge create a problem. first time i went, i was allowed with a friend to go up (and so were 5 other people) with my bag on my shoulder. next time they wanted me to go alone and without my bag... my guess is there's no rel rule -they just make it up depending on what i dont know! nevertheless, its worth a try for sure!

a sight to behold

by jag_hond Updated Feb 11, 2007

the time's here. the mughal gardens are open. even if you dont know a thing about flowers - like me - and dont have any interest in them beyond the external beauty etc - like me again, this place is a must to visit - at least once.

its gorgeous.. a riot of colours and some breathtaking scenes.. any verbal description is not enough to sell the idea, so a chance will have to be taken!! but definitely check it out.. sorry, no photos tho

• jag_hond's Profile Photo

Mutiny Memorial-caught me offguard!

by jag_hond Written Dec 20, 2006

Its just a small minaret set up in north campus. went there once by chance. I presumed it was a memorial for the lives of indian soldiers lost in 1857 revolt. Was quite surprised to find that it actually is a memorial set up by the British in memory of the British lives lost during the 'mutiny' (as britishers like to call it)! not very well kept but not bad either, located in a quite little space. can sit around for a while, rather peaceful there. felt like i'd found a treasure for there arent any openly pro-British marks of 1857 left in delhi as far as i know.

sorry tho, dint take any pics!

Delhi Hotels

• The Imperial

Few hotels in the world impress me in the way the Imperial did when I stayed here in Feb/Mar 2009...

• Taj Mahal Hotel

We stayed here three times during our trip to India. We were on the 10th, 3rd and 4th floors, in a...

• Oberoi New Delhi

I have been to the Oberoi but I did not stay overnight!! I had the opporunity to sample the Buffet...

Latest Delhi Hotel Reviews

Heritage Inn
Latest: Jun 19, 2014
Taj Palace Hotel

Instant Answers: Delhi

Comments

Delhi Off The Beaten Path

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Delhi locals.
Map of Delhi