Chandni Chowk, Delhi

4 out of 5 stars 35 Reviews

old delhi, opposite the red fort.

street food at Chandni Chowk
    A barber street Shop at Chandni Chowk
    A cobbler at Chandni Chowk
  • vinod-bhojak's Profile Photo

Chandni Chowk:Real life of Delhi

by vinod-bhojak Written Dec 10, 2013

Chandni Chowk

If you want to understand bits of Delhi and real life of India, you must visit this Chandni Chowk. So much is there, jam-packed all on this chaotic area. Great place to explore into Old Delhi's street foods which is a quite some variety. Too much rush mostly and things disorderly around. Yet wide cater of Paranthas,lassi,rabri,chats,and lot more.The charm of old Delhi is incomparable. We loved the tiny lanes and the colorful jewelery and clothing. footwear, camera and wrist watch wholesale market and many street shops its very near to Red fort and Jama Masjid.

• Photography

• Wheelz India

by markkwheelz Written Jan 15, 2013

I love Chandni Chowk in Delhi. I think it is the heart of Delhi.
    There are lots of market e.g kinari bazar, nai sarak, fawara chowk, Sis Ganj Gurudwara, Lajpar rai market and more.
    I have enjoyed there lots of. I have seen all famous places in chandni chowk.
    I have just booked a taxi with Wheez India.
    They gives me discount for Delhi tour.
    You can also enjoy such memorable places by just go to http://www.wheelzindia.com/ and book a taxi for Delhi tour

• Religious Travel

• BabuS11's Profile Photo

Forgey Alert

by BabuS11 Written Jul 14, 2012

Guys i went lajapathi rai market at Chandini chowk for procure a moblie phone. one of the shop keeper asked me that what is your budjet and i said Rs.3000 to 3500.
    He showed me a samsung smart phone and i pad and said that it was seconds and the price is only 4500/-. I said i dont want i have only 3500/-. but he agreed for give Rs.3500/-.He made the bill and get signature from me and collect the money. after that he informed me that the mobile was robbed one and if u activate with sim police may caught you like that. So i sought him why u not informed me earlier and i dont want the moblie and asked my money back. But suddenly 5 more persons sourrounded me and try to attack myself and forced me to bring another mobile which was worth not even 1500/- and said that is 3500/-. So i dond have other option if i refused they try to attack me. So guys please alaret

• Derek70's Profile Photo

One of the highlights of our trip to India

Old Delhi Bazaar Walk & Haveli Visiting Tour

When reminiscing about our holiday to India my sixteen year old daughter and I inevitably speak about our evening doing the Old Delhi Bazaar and Haveli Tour with Dhruv. The evening was definitely one of the highlights of our trip.

We were collected at 18:15 as promised and whisked into Old Delhi where we walked through the streets sampling traditional food, visiting businesses which make the most beautifully detailed invitations and generally experienced life in Old Delhi. Delhi is frenetic, even in the evening!!! Dhruv immediately sensed when it all became too much for my daughter and he diplomatically sourced a rickshaw for us and we made our way to his beautifully restored Haveli where we were warmly greeted by his lovely family. Our evening was spent learning to fly kites and watching fireworks on their roof top, getting henna artwork on our hands and chatting to his family about traditional Indian family life. Dhruv’s wife is gracious and friendly and her generous and engaging manner makes you feel as though you’ve been friends for years.

Much to my daughters delight, Dhruv offered to take us on his motor bike back to the main road where we were to meet his driver - What a wonderful experience to ride on the back of a bike through the streets of Old Delhi!!

We thoroughly enjoyed our evening and Dhruv personally saw us home and made sure we were perfectly safe. From the first contact to the very end the whole tour was professionally executed and what makes it superior to other tours is it is so personal - rather than the standard “cookie cut” tour, which one usually receives. Even the places where we stopped off to sample “street food” had all been carefully selected.

To those of you who are wondering what to do whilst visiting Delhi, I have no hesitation in assuring you that you’ll thoroughly enjoy this tour!

Old Delhi Bazaar Walk & Haveli Visit

• Business Travel

Old Delhi Bazaar Walk & Haveli Visit

Choatic traffic on Chandni Chowk

Old Delhi's main thoroughfare, Chandni Chowk, runs westwards in a straight line from the Lahore Gate of the Red Fort to Fatehpuri Masjid. It is one of the most fascinating streets in Delhi, and due to its chaos and crowds, it may seem like a circus to the unprepared traveller! It is home to a series of grand temples from the mosaic of different religions represented in India, which stand amid busy shops and crumbling old buildings that seem to be sewn together with sagging electric wires. What a difference this sight is from the spotless and orderly avenues of New Delhi, only a short distance south. Hard to believe, but when it was created in 1648, Chandni Chowk was once the most luxurious avenue in Shahjahanabad, as this city was known under the Mughal Empire. Trees lined the sides and a ornamental water canal ran through the middle, while only the richest merchants and noblemen could afford the sumptuous palaces and havelis overlooking Chandni Chowk. A walk through Chandni Chowk is a must when visiting Old Delhi and have your camera handy!

Central Baptist Church

Central Baptist Church - Mar 09

One of Delhi's oldest churches, the Central Baptist Church was built in 1814 by the British Missionary Society. The construction of their church took place a little after Delhi came under the protection of British East India Company (in 1803), but a few decades before the city officially became part of the British Empire. The church is located in the heart of Old Delhi, on Chandni Chowk among a mosaic of temples from different religions represented in India.

Sunehri Masjid

Pastel colours of Sunehri Masjid - Mar 09

This tiny mosque on Chandni Chowk is one of two mosques in Delhi named Sunehri Masjid, or "Golden Mosque" (the second is Shahi Sunehri Masjid, located just south of the Red Fort). The triple onion-shaped copper domes were once gilded and had earned this mosque its name. It was built in 1721 by Roshan-ud-Daula Zafar Khan during the reign of Muhammad Shah. The mosque's prayer hall is elevated above street-level shops and consists of an open interior. A hasty recent renovation had the interior painted in pastel colours, which may be pretty, but it is definitely not true to the original design. Sunehri Masjid is adjacent to Gurdwara Sis Ganj Sahib, the grand Sikh temple.

Fatehpuri Masjid

Interior of Fatehpuri Mosque

Fatehpuri Masjid is located at the western end of the busy Chandni Chowk in Old Delhi. It was built in 1650 by Fatehpuri Begum, a wife of Shah Jahan. It follows the typical Mughal-period design and was built using red sandstone. The enclosed courtyard is surrounded by a portico which seems to serve as a madrassa (theological school) and a residence for the students. Although the mosque is generally well kept, it is clear that in its most recent renovation untraditional materials were utilised. The interior was simply painted over with multiple colours, including faux gold, white and green, which do not conform to the typical Mughal-period colour palette. Still, it is a pretty prayer hall with numerous pillars supporting polyfoil arches.

Old Town Hall

Old Town Hall - Mar 09

Built in 1866 by the British, the Delhi Town Hall could have easily been in central London. Its Victorian architectural style stands out in the heart of Old Delhi, near Chandni Chowk. When it was built, the Town Hall was probably in pale sandstone, but at some point since then it was painted over in yellow and white. Note that when it was constructed, the city of New Delhi had not been conceived yet (the capital of the British Raj was Calcutta), which is why the Town Hall seems so far away from the administrative heart of the city in New Delhi. In recent years, the building housed the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD), but there have been plans to turn it into a heritage museum.

Gurdwara Sis Ganj Sahib

Golden domes of the Gurudwara - Mar 09

One of Delhi's major Sikh places of worship, Gurdwara Sis Ganj Sahib lies on Chandni Chowk in Old Delhi. The imposing building with its recognisable bulbous golden domes is said to have been built on the site where Sikh Guru Tegh Bahadur was killed and martyred by Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb in 1675 AD. His commemorative temple was constructed a century later, but the present structure dates from a 1931 reconstruction.

Gauri Shankar Mandir

Gauri Shankar Mandir

A Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shiva, Gauri Shankar Mandir contains an 800 year old lingam (the phallus stone which symbolises Shiva). Although the temple has existed for much longer, the actual structure is from a reconstruction in 1959. It is located on Chandni Chowk in the heart of Old Delhi, right next to the Jain temple, Lal Mandir.

Shri Digambar Jain Lal Mandir

Lal Mandir - March 2009

The principal Jain temple in Delhi, Shri Digambar Jain Lal Mandir, is also its oldest. It was built in 1656, during the reign of Shahjahan, and expanded a few times thereafter, particularly after India's independence when the shikaras (mountain domes) were added. The temple is commonly referred to as Lal Mandir (i.e. Red Temple) due to its red colour. Its interior contains rich decorations, including frescoes, but photography inside is not permitted (also note that shoes must be taken off before entering). This temple is famous for having a bird hospital on the premises.

• illumina's Profile Photo

by illumina Written Feb 14, 2010

This street, whose name means Moonlit Square / Market is the main street in Old Delhi (originally Shahjehanabad). It runs through the centre of the old walled city, leading from the Lahori Gate of the Red Fort in the east, to the Fatehpuri Masjid at the western end. It may have received it's name from the moonlight reflecting from either a pool in a central square, now vanished, or from the canal that once ran down the middle.

It is a very bustling, busy place, as it is still a thriving market area, and different lanes or 'galis' specialise in different products.

Sadly I was so overwhelmed by it all that I didn't take any photos!

Instant Answers: Delhi

Comments

Hotels Near Chandni Chowk
4.0 out of 5 stars