Old Fort, Delhi
The ruins of this fort are located on a small hill which once stood on the banks of the Yamuna river. Legend has it that the fort marked the site of Indraprastha, the magnificent capital of the Pandavas, though the construction was carried out by Sher Shah Suri any time between 1538 to 1545 A.D.The structure houses a mosque which has a double-storeyed octagonal tower. It is said that the Mughal King, Humayun, fell from the tower accidently and died. At the foot of the hill is a lake where the Delhi Tourism has arrangements for boating and also a sound and light show.
The location of Purana Qila is not new to history, as the earliest reference to this site is made in the Hindu epic, Mahabharata. Recent excavations at the fort site have yielded painted grey ware pottery which dates back to 1000 B.C.The fact that until 1913 there was a village within the fort called Indrapat gives credence to the belief that Purana Qila was built on the ruins of Indraprastha. The walls of the fort are 18 metres high at some points and there are groups of holes arranged in patterns on the walls which were apparently meant to be nesting spaces for birds.
The fort has three gates- Humayun Darwaza, Talaqi Darwaza and Bara Darwaza, through which one can enter the fort today. Inside the fort is the Kuhna Masjid built by Sher Shah in 1541 and is considered to be a masterpiece of architecture. The inner west wall of the building has five arched openings which are richly ornamented in white and black marble. On a marble slab inside the mosque is an inscription which when translated reads: ' as long as there are people on this earth, may this edifice be frequented and people be cheerful and happy in it. A new light & sound show is held by the Department of Delhi Tourism every evening. Timings and Tickets are available from the tourist office.
This magnificent fort was built by Shah Jahan in the 17th century, inside are lovely buildings, some of which are of marble inset with semi-precious stones
The moat outside is crossed by stone bridges built in 1811, originally these were wooden drawbridges, the moat has been dry since 1857
Inside the fort is a small bazzar, originally these were shops where the ladies of the court could buy silks and jewellery
It is believed that the Pandavas had built their capital, Indraprastha at the place where the old fort stands today. This fort, now in ruins, was the seat for administration for many emperors. The legendary Prithviraj Chauhan ruled from here till he was defeated by Abdali in the battle of Panipat. A new light & sound show is held by the Department of Delhi Tourism every evening. Timings and Tickets are available from the tourist office.