St James Church, Delhi

6 Reviews

Been here? Rate It!

hide
  • St James Church
    by MM212
  • St James' Church - Mar 09
    St James' Church - Mar 09
    by MM212
  • St James Church
    by Rupanworld
  • MM212's Profile Photo

    Saint James' Church

    by MM212 Updated May 24, 2010

    This beautiful, Renaissance style edifice, is Saint James' Church. It was built in 1836 by Colonel James Skinner, who was the son of a British aristocrat and a Rajput Princess. Because of his mixed blood, he was denied entry into the forces of the British East India Company, so instead he joined the opposing Maratha army, before eventually being admitted into the British Indian army. He paid for the church with his own money and employed the architect Major Robert Smith, who designed a domed Renaissance church on a Greek cross plan. St James' Church immediately became the most important church in Delhi until the completion of the Cathedral Church of the Redemption in New Delhi in 1935. St James' Church is located near Kashmiri Gate, at the northern edge of Old Delhi.

    St James' Church - Mar 09
    Related to:
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Rupanworld's Profile Photo

    St. James Church

    by Rupanworld Written Jan 27, 2009

    The St. James Church, located at the intersection of the Lothian Road and Church Road, was built by Colonel James Skinner in a Greek design. It is said that Colonel Skinner was once badly wounded and had prayed to God to help him escape death and in return he would build a Church. This church was the result of that promise. It was consecrated in 1836. It was said to be an imitation of St Paul's Cathedral of London. There is the grave of Colonel James Skinner in the complex of the Church in front of the altar. The Church is octagonal in shape and on top of the dome there is a ball and a cross.

    Was this review helpful?

  • nightcowboy's Profile Photo

    St. James' Churh Delhi

    by nightcowboy Written Sep 20, 2007

    This the first Church built in Delhi.
    After a vow, made by James Skinner on the battlefield.
    It was as James Skinner found himself with his battalion badly beaten and wounded. It was 3 o'clock in the afternoon when he found that he had been stripped of everything except his pants. He was surrounded by the dead and the wounded. they were tortured by thirst and unable to move. He made his Vow, Was to build a place of worship[ St. James Delhi ]

    The Skinner's Horse is raised
    Sikander Sahib was the cry that went up. This was the beginning of the famous irregular cavalry corps know as SKINNER'S HORSE.
    He chose yellow for the color of the regimental uniform.
    The regimental motto is [ Himmat-i-Mardan Madad-i-Khuda ]

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Religious Travel
    • Study Abroad

    Was this review helpful?

  • Willettsworld's Profile Photo

    St James’ Church

    by Willettsworld Updated Mar 17, 2007

    Located at the intersection of Church Road and Lothian Road, St. James Church was built by the famous Colonel James Skinner in a Greek cross design. Consecrated in 1836, the beautiful church was said to be an imitation of St Paul's Cathedral in London but according to Percival Spear the church was actually modeled on a church in Venice. With its beautiful gardens and peaceful atmosphere, the church was once situated in Delhi's best European shopping area. A ball and a cross surmount the dome of the church. The original ball and the cross were damaged during the 1857 fighting and were later replaced by their replicas. The center of the church is octagon in shape with circular columns supporting the dome and the main seating arrangement being in the central portion of the dome.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • ukirsari's Profile Photo

    Saint James's Church stained-glass windows

    by ukirsari Updated Aug 23, 2004

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Such a lovely place. Not a truely huge church, but you can feel >> how peaceful inside.
    The church built in 1836, has a Greek cross and two stained-glass windows, installed in 1860s.
    The man behind the history is Colonel James Skinner, a man who rejected by British Army because of his mixed parentage [from a Scotman and Indian Rajput]. Then he raised his own cavalry regiment; Skinner's Horse.

    Stained Glass of Saint James's (c) ukirsari
    Related to:
    • Religious Travel
    • Arts and Culture
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • ukirsari's Profile Photo

    Saint James's Church

    by ukirsari Written Aug 23, 2004

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The oldest and the most historic church in Delhi, built in 1836 by Colonel James Skinner [1778-1841], a son of a Scotman and a Rajput.

    Saint James's Church of Delhi (c) ukirsari
    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Architecture
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Delhi

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

16 travelers online now

Comments

View all Delhi hotels