Safety Tips in Delhi

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Delhi

• DAO's Profile Photo

ELECTRICAL PLUGS.... AND PLUGS AND PLUGS

by DAO Written Feb 8, 2013

India uses 230V and 50 Hz for their household electrical supply. That's the easy bit. India uses 3 kinds of plugs and sockets. They use types C, D and M. The ‘C’ Plug is a round 2-pin also known as the Europlug. That is relatively easy to plan for. The other 2 are just a smaller and larger version of the same plug. They have 3 round pins with the one at the top being larger. Just to make matters worse – these plugs are only found in India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, South Africa, Botswana and Namibia. The D and M plugs are considered the most dangerous in the world as you can pull them halfway out and still be electrocuted. Fatally.

Also the voltage will blow up a North American laptop unless you have a good transformer.

My suggestion is to plan for a Europlug. That makes life easier. If you really need an adapter for the D or M plugs, you can buy them very cheaply here in Delhi.

TYPE 'D' TYPE 'C' THE EUROPLUG
    • Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad

• Bennytheball's Profile Photo

The Risky Rickshaws

by Bennytheball Written Jan 23, 2013

Public transport in India can be unreliable, slow, unpredictable and sometimes dangerous....

I used to travel frequently from the Crown Hotel, in the old city of Delhi to Connaught Circus in the new city, on the motorised rickshaws, some were Lambretta scooters with a cab built on to the frame, others, and my favourite ,were ancient Harley Davidson motor bikes with a larger cab, often overloaded with passengers.

One day on this regular journey, the rickshaw I was travelling on was involved in an accident, almost head-on, with another rickshaw, I was ejected by the force of the collision on to the road, but only suffered bruising. The man sitting in front of me was not so lucky, his arm was badly gashed and he had to be taken to hospital.

The Delhi traffic is chaotic, whatever traffic regulations exist are universally disregarded by the rickshaws, intent on completing journeys as quickly as possible to maximise revenue. After this experience, I always kept my eyes on the road to anticipate a crisis and be ready to jump to safety!

Benny.

A rickshaw race! A man risks the Harley rickshaw!

Inefficiency Everywhere!! Drinking Water in Street

by 37SingleMaleInDubai1 Updated Jun 28, 2010

Hello Travelers,
    Well in summer temperature rise to above 40 degree celsius and public has to drink water because of thirst. The cost is 1 Rupees (About 2.5 American Cent per Glass).
    I doubt if ever a tourist may drink from street water which is supplied in glass, but this is a good reminder and warning to all that NEVER DRINK FROM STREET WATER SUPPLIERS!! This street water sellers offer water in a glass, that's fine. After one drinks from the glass they just pour some water in the glass and wipe the glass with their hand as that makes the glass clean and sterile for the next customer!! Please check the pictures, the first two are when they supply the water in glass and the next two shows when they clean the glass with water and wiping with their hands.
    I just wonder if there is any health official in this city or not. Are there any Doctors specialized in communicable diseases to stop this unhygienic practice or at least advise the authorities to provide disposable cups. There are 1.2 billion living in this great country and why nobody stand up to stop this wrong practices (Probably they have shortage of skilled individuals). Well as the golden rule here, NOBODY CARES ABOUT NOTHING AND THE LEAST VALUABLE THING IS THE HUMAN LIFE HERE. Probably many members of the public fall ill on daily basis for this unhygienic practices but as usual NOBODY CARES ABOUT NOTHING AND NOBODY WANTS TO IMPROVE THE LIFE OF THE PUBLIC!!Next time when someone says to me Incredible India I respond that yes the only thing which are incredible in India are LACK OF ORDER, PROPER ADMINISTRATION AND CARE AND VALUE REQUIRED FOR THE HUMAN LIFE. Shame on the people who are on the seat of power and do nothing to stop this MESS.
    Take care and be safe.

Water Supplid in the street to the public Are you thirsty?? Now cleaning it with some warter!! Wiping with hands finishing touch :-(
    • Singles

Be Careful while Taking Food and Water in Delhi,

by 37SingleMaleInDubai1 Updated Jun 28, 2010

Hi travelers,
    Well to start with I should say there is no efficient system of monitoring food handlers in the small shops in Delhi. Absolutely there is no sense of hygiene when the food is prepared and surprisingly local people they don't care :-( To be exact, when you go to have a sandwich, snack, sweet , or (gol gappe) the food handler picks it with his/her hand and place it in a dish (God knows if the dish is clean or not) before offering it to you! As if their hand is the proper way of handling food. Well, they don't have any fault, they have never seen a better way of life and mostly they are illiterate. So my best advise is to always take food in 4 star hotels and above (Or if you cant afford it always ask for your food to be heated before serving (Either in Microwave or on the direct heat source). I am living in Delhi and Mostly having food (Fruits, Salads, canned food) at home and when I really like to get out I visit KFC, Subway or a good hygiene hotel!!
    Another advise is never accept water in a glass when you visit different places, ALWAYS carry your own bottled water.
    Sadly, India has a long way to go to reach the minimum basic standards (Health, Hygiene, transport,etc.....) that exist in other parts of the world!!
    A friend of mine now is sick with Hepatitis A.

Every thing is served by bare hands :-(

• 37SingleMaleInDubai1's Profile Photo

Inefficiency Everywhere!! Public Parks)

by 37SingleMaleInDubai1 Updated Jun 27, 2010

Well, at the moment I live in New Delhi and I am very disappointed with everything I see in this beautiful city. First let me clear myself, I love India and the warm hearted people living in this great country!! However whatever so far I have seen leads me to believe that nothing is planned, there is no regulation, nobody is there to check the problems, many obvious ways to improve the life are ignored and number one NOBODY CARE ABOUT ANYTHING HERE!! The pictures you see in this Tip belongs to a park that is near my residence. But there is a big problem. The main entrance of the park is meant for the entrance of Cars, Motor Cycles and pedestrians all together!! There is no separate entrance for public (Pedestrians) and they have to slide among the cars and motor cycles in busy hours to get in or out. This is a problem by itself which does not bother me much but the main matter which is making me upset is that, isn't there any civil engineer, town planner, park official to come and see the problem and at least to draw a plan to provide a separate gate for pedestrians?? Well as I said here NOBODY CARES ABOUT NOTHING AND THE THING WHICH IS THE LEAST IMPORTANT IS THE LIFE AND SAFETY OF TE PUBLIC. PERSONALLY I HAVE TRIED TO CONTACT newspapers, officials, etc.. but the more I struggle to get to them the less successful I am.
    Go ahead and check the pictures yourself, it clearly shows the mess at the entrance of the park. Heaven knows how many people have got injured while entering or exiting the park due to an accident. NOBODY CARES ABOUT NOTHING AND HUMAN LIFE IS THE CHEAPEST HERE!!

The Park Near my Resident Main Gate for Entr of Cars, Motor Cycles & Public Main Gate for Entr of Cars, Motor Cycles & Public Main Gate for Entr of Cars, Motor Cycles & Public
    • Business Travel

• NYTim's Profile Photo

Sleeping at New Delhi Airport

by NYTim Updated Dec 15, 2009

You cannot sleep in New Delhi Airport. The arrivals hall has no place for one to rest -- no chairs or benches and the cops will move you to the outside. There is a resting place outside where you pay a few rupees and there you can sleep. But you must check in a least two hours prior to flying out. How much time do you have to kill?

• Photography

• Tuc-Tuc Tactics

by Stubbsn Written Nov 25, 2008

If you look like a tourist, 50% of the tuc-tucs you get in will try and take you via a 'shopping centre' or 'government travel agent'. Be clear before you get in when you are negotiating your price that you want to go stright to your destination, you don't want to go shopping and you don't require the services of an Travel agent. You may have to be firm and maybe walk away if necessary.
    One guy told us that 'Chadni Chowk was closed that morning (yeah right - I don't mind them touting for business but not lying) and dropped us outside his 'cousins' shop anyway, despite our insistances, telling us that the Chowk was just around the corner. Another stopped his vehicel and told us to get out when it was clear that we didn't want to go to his brothers travel agency. To be honest it's not a great problem - just don't over any money until you are where you want to be.

• alecua's Profile Photo

SAFETY 101

by alecua Updated Jul 5, 2008

Many first time travelers to India find themselves falling victim to scams and touts, and unfortunately Delhi has lots of both. Be on guard for anybody trying to help you by giving you unsolicited directions or travel advice, and take any advice from taxi and auto drivers with a grain of salt, especially if they tell you the place you want to go to is closed, dangerous, etc. If this is your first time to India do not admit it, as this will make you a mark for the scam artists.

Delhi is an increasingly unsafe place for women. It is not uncommon to receive lewd remarks or even physical touching. If you are coming into Delhi at night, stay in the airport lounge, or well lit areas until daybreak. Try to avoid walking around alone or hiring cabs alone. Dress conservatively (preferably in Indian clothing so as to blend in), learn to shout, and consider carrying mace/pepper spray. Police vehicles (called PCR vans) are parked almost on every major intersection. Dial 100 in case of emergencies.

Carry your cash, passport, and cards in a secure money belt, with only enough cash for a few hours at a time in your wallet or other acccessible place. Some travelers recommend carrying an expendable wallet with a few ten rupee bills in it in an obvious place such as your hip pocket as a decoy to Delhi's ubiquitous pickpockets.

As a general rule, expect anyone handling your cash in Delhi to attempt to shortchange you; you may be favorably surprised once or twice during your visit. Learn the currency, count out your payment and change carefully, and be insistent in any dispute.

• traceyspacey's Profile Photo

Make sure you get the right train station!

by traceyspacey Written Feb 1, 2008

We were due to leave Delhi for Kalka on our way up to Shimla. We got to New Delhi train station to find that there was no sign of our train. We were at the wrong train station with half an hour left before our train left. We needed to be at Old Delhi train station. We ran out of the station, got a taxi driver down from 400 to 300 Rupees (excessive I know to get to Old Delhi train station). The taxi driver saying that the traffic is bad so it costs that much. We did not have change and surprise surprise neither did the taxi driver, so it cost us 500 Rupees. We got to the station with minutes to spare only to find that the train was due to leave at 10.20pm not 10pm as one of the stations was closed.

We made it!

Coming back our train stopped at New Delhi train station.

Public inconveniences

by Willettsworld Written Nov 17, 2007

Delhi was my first port of call during my 4 month tour around India and so everywhere and everything was a novelty during my week long stay in the city. Its sights, sounds and smells are pretty strong and in your face - especially the last of those! Nothing can quite prepare you for what you find in Delhi. This is an open urinal on the street which are a fairly common sight throughout India but they are pretty appalling when you walk past them. This one is just down the road from New Delhi Train Station on the way to Connaught Place and so gets very well used. The smell is terrible and you really have to hold your nose as you walk past.

Security

by Willettsworld Written Apr 9, 2007

I have to say that for a large capital city, Delhi has to be one of the safest places I've ever visited. There's no malice directed at you and I never once felt threatened. In fact, its just the opposite. You start taking photo's with your digital camera and people will come up behind you and look over your shoulder to see the image on the display! In other places, such as at the Qutb Minar, a group of middle aged guys came up to me and chatted and shook my hand as if they've never seen a foreigner before. I ended up having my photo taken with them and I felt like a famous Bollywood film star! This happened to me all over India. People are inquisitive about you and just want to chat. Let them and you'll feel right at ease.

Safety

by Willettsworld Written Apr 9, 2007

Like everywhere in India, you have to watch where you're walking in Delhi, especially in Old Delhi. Pavements, (when they exist), are particularly dodgy and if you're tall, like me, then you also have to watch your head on things. So you end up walking along looking at about three things at once. Also, as there's a lot of cows and other animals roaming around, another thing to watch out for is their, erm, droppings. Also, be careful when crossing roads and make sure you look both ways about three times as traffic goes in all directions. Sight-seeing in or on old buildings is another thing you have to watch out for as there basically are no signs and barriers to warn/protect you from unsafe areas. One example was whilst I was visiting the Firoz Shah Kotla (just south of Raj Ghat). There's an iron pillar stuck in the top of a building and you're able to take stairs up to the roof and walk on the roof where there is nothing stopping you from falling off the edge. India, is a health and satefy officiers nightmare!

Health

by Willettsworld Written Apr 9, 2007

When I first arrived in India, Delhi was my first port of call. For the first few days, I was paranoid at everything I was eating and drinking and wandering when or if I was going to get ill within the first week of arriving. You hear horror stories of people getting ill with all matter of things and even some of the people I spoke to told me their stories. I was lucky (or maybe I was cautious), and was only ill once during my 4 month trip around India and that happened some 6 weeks into it. You will probably be just like me, paranoid that is, but as long as you avoid places that are blairingly dirty and try and avoid street food, you should be OK. If you do get unwell then there are plenty of small chemists in Pahar Ganj (the backpacker centre) where you can obtain all matter of pills and potions.

• jag_hond's Profile Photo

Fake snake sadhus

by jag_hond Written Jan 16, 2007

one terrible terrible practice in delhi is that a bunch of guys dressed up in saffron clothes approach you innocuously and when close enough, they pull out a snake - real and live - from their bags and shove it in your face. then they ask you to give some money which they'll say they will put in the snake's mouth and it will double. They also dont settle for anything less than fifty rupees! then they actually put the money in the snake's mouth and then they say ok now the snake's eaten it up!

the best thing to do with such people is - first dont let them get too close. if u see some such saffron clad big bag on shoulder person just walk fast and dont even look at him even if he's calling out to u. And if he does manage to catch up, just yell at him and run!

• ellsasha's Profile Photo

Airport

by ellsasha Written Oct 1, 2006

Be aware that international passengers are not allowed to enter the airport terminal until 3 hours before their flight departure time. I tried to do so and was told that I could either wait on the road directly outside or pay 30 rupees to wait in the passenger lounge on the opposite side of the road. I chose the latter and found a reasonable restaurant there, a coffee bar, and a couple of gift shops.

Security at Delhi airport is commendable, I found the passenger screening to be very thorough.

Controlling passenger flow during aircraft boarding is quite an experience, passengers don't wait for their rows to be called and flood to the gate en masse as soon as the flight is called, making it difficult for people whose rows have been called to get through to the check point.

Delhi Hotels

• The Imperial

Few hotels in the world impress me in the way the Imperial did when I stayed here in Feb/Mar 2009...

• Taj Mahal Hotel

We stayed here three times during our trip to India. We were on the 10th, 3rd and 4th floors, in a...

• Oberoi New Delhi

I have been to the Oberoi but I did not stay overnight!! I had the opporunity to sample the Buffet...

Latest Delhi Hotel Reviews

Jaypee Siddharth
YMCA Tourist Hostel
Latest: Jun 19, 2014

Instant Answers: Delhi

Comments

Delhi Warnings and Dangers

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Delhi locals.
Map of Delhi