New Delhi Favorites

by lynnehamman

Most Recent Favorites in New Delhi

• Delhi's best kept secret right in the center Delhi

by Malousb1210 Written Mar 11, 2013

Favorite thing: In this little piece of heaven I found myself a beautiful store in the heart of Delhi, which is also Delhi’s best kept secret.
    When you enter the store from the beautiful garden in front, you will see handcrafted items everywhere. You will find everything from Pure Silver to Silver plated unique gift items.
    They also have some exceptional designers who filled their shelves with beautiful silk and linen jackets. You’ll find handcrafted accessories and bags. So beautiful!
    After shopping I got a refresher in the lovely back garden, with the company of the beautiful peacocks who come for a visit every evening.
    I just felt in love with place.

Ask for discount and you will defiantly get it.

Visit the website: www.iksilver.com

• Women's Travel

• bohemiancloud's Profile Photo

A day at Delhi

by bohemiancloud Written Oct 30, 2012

Favorite thing: From a travelers point of view Delhi has options of activities and places to visit. It All depends upon what you want to do while you are in Delhi. If its just the regular sightseeing trip then visit Monuments, Chadni Chowk and evening hang out at the pubs, bar or coffee shops somewhere near CP.

Cheers

Fondest memory: Exploring Chadni Chowk, eating Gol gappa at Chadni Chowk and roaming around inner circle of CP

• ArushiK's Profile Photo

Delhi Metro is best transport medium in Delhi

by ArushiK Written Jul 2, 2012

Favorite thing: Delhi Metro is one of the best opting to traveling because of many reasons
    1 Fully Air conditioner
    2 No jam problem
    3 Effective and fast transport service
    4 connected to whole Delhi
    5 All tourist spot is around metro route
    6 Lavatory available to metro stations.
    7 Service of metro with interval of 3 minutes.
    8 Good, secure, fast, without jam , connected to whole Delhi

and at last one another transport line is going to develop .

• Business Travel

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

A Honest and respectable tour company !!!!!

by jlanza29 Updated Mar 4, 2012

Favorite thing: Coming to India isn't for everyone ... the sounds, sites, traffic, and pure chaos is very intimidating for a traveler ..... and it took me a couple of months to find a tour company that we could trust .... and we were really happy to find this one here on VT ..... the name of the company is call Travel Force .... the owner Mr. Duni Rava answered so many email's from me, that I lost count.

The service he provide was 1st class all around ... we took a Delhi day tour with driver and tour guide ... the driver, and guide was at our hotel on time and we were well taken care of ...... We saw all the sites of Delhi and never felt rushed or pressured to go anywhere we didn't want too !!! Very important in a country like India where everyone wanted to take you to a store to buy things.

And Mr. Duni also set up a day tour of Agra to see the Taj Mahal also .... we were picked up at the hotel at 5:00 am .... we were literally walked to the train platform .... on arrival in Agra, there was a person waiting for me literally at the bottom of the steps of the train ..... again we were provided a driver and tour guide in a A/C car .... were taken to all the sites we desired. Same on the return from Agra, we had agreed on a meeting spot with the driver since the train station is chaotic and no more than a minute did we arrive and the driver was waving at us at the meeting point.

Now this is what we call great and friendly service !!!!!!

Mr. Duni was more than helpful and all his people excellent, all spoke great English, and he's services made our trip to India very special.

His websites are as following ....www.indiantraveltour.com .....he's email is duniindia@yahoo.com or contactravelforce@gmail.com or his cell phone # +91 9811171495, 9990308598

I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY !!!!!!! The prices were great and very reasonable !!!!!

If you have any questions about this company I'll be more than happy to answer them !!!!!

• Luxury Travel

• Suet's Profile Photo

Getting around.

by Suet Written Jan 4, 2011

Favorite thing: You definitely connect with New Delhi more closely from a tuk tuk rickshaw. Isolated in the back of a taxi cab you miss quite a lot. I would most certainly agree a price BEFORE you start off on your journey. You can easily get ripped off by taxi drivers charging $34 for a short trip when the going rate is around $2-3. For a tuk tuk is about 7 pence. I do agree, though, that a decent tip at the end of the trip is a good thing.

I found New Delhi very safe and walked around quite happily looking in shops and things. However, taxi drivers will constantly accost you and try and charge huge fees as above.

They know the drill and will take you to the usual tourist places. I would avoid the Emporiums, as the driver gets a fee for taking you there. The idea is that you buy things for quite expensive prices. Good for business.

I would wander around and get the feel of the place. If you get lost, just hail a tuk tuk and they will take you back to the hotel.

Fondest memory: Don't be worried about the several near misses that your tuk tuk driver will have. How on earth the traffic system works without major pile ups is beyond me. However, your driver knows what he is doing.

It is very noisy on the street as everyone uses their horn even before they have started off from the traffic lights. The air quality is not terrific and you can get quite a sore throat from all the dust and pollution. Have some throat lozenges or wear a mask.

If you get hungy, the driver will know where a good restaurant will be. Chicken is around £3.00 but do try the vegetarian dishes. Superb.

• Photography

• sharonsoon's Profile Photo

“When the Old Delhi meets the New”

by sharonsoon Written Jul 5, 2010

Favorite thing: “When the Old Delhi meets the New” was what I felt during the city tour. From the comfort and safety of my car, I witnessed some of the most appalling living conditions in Old Delhi. Right next to luxury shops there would be slums. Occasionally you could see men relieving themselves by the side of the road. There were bare-foot children knocking on your car windows at the traffic lights, begging for money. Their wide-eyed stares made me uncomfortable. If you gave to one, more would come. The government told people not to give, unless you wanted swarms of people chasing after you, hanging off the windows of your car. The beautifully shot commercials did not prepare me for this. Even the honestly filmed documentaries could not prepare me for such a sight, right in the heart of Delhi.

• Work Abroad
    • Photography
    • Architecture

Visit India Tour's

by georeiser Updated May 18, 2010

Mr. Bilal Ahmed from Visit India Tour

Fondest memory: I arrived at my hotel in New Delhi late at night, and told the staff I wanted to visit Agra, but I had no idea on how I should travel. It took 10 minutes, and Mr. Bilal Ahmed from Visit India Tour came to the reception. He was at least a very good salesman because I accepted all his ideas. But I guess I paid for some extra luxury I didn't need.

Visit India Tour's
    e-mail: info@visitindiatours.net

The traffic in Delhi

by georeiser Written May 18, 2010

The traffic in Delhi

Fondest memory: The traffic out of Delhi towards Agra was hectic with many chaotic crossroads. It looks like the drivers disregard any traffic rules. There are no "zipper-method" when two cars want to drive at the same time. They use the horn all the time. The more you use the horn the stronger you look like. "OK, you win this time, but I shall win in the next crossroad."

• georeiser's Profile Photo

Hotel information desk at the airport

by georeiser Written May 18, 2010

Dehli tourism at DEL domestic terminal

Fondest memory: There is a hotel information desk at the airport, just in case you don't have a hotel... I came to DEL domestic airport at 9 PM, and they booked a hotel and taxi in New Delhi. And not too expensive eighter. Of course, they got their commission, but this was good for me since I was too tired to find a hotel by my self.

• Lunaina's Profile Photo

Don't go...

by Lunaina Written Apr 18, 2009

Favorite thing: Hi! We returned home after three days, all these people trying to trick you into things, it is not like this in other places in the world, this is India! And if that is India, I do not want to see it, I'm sorry.......

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

My favourite things about Delhi

by lynnehamman Written Mar 8, 2009

Palatial Homes

Favorite thing: The historical monuments, forts and wonderful chowks in old Delhi are typically where most tourists head for first. If you have the time, try and walk around areas like Nizamuddin East, and Prithviraj Road. The houses, trees and wide avenues show another side of this amazing city. They are upper-class areas, but still nevertheless close to parks like Lodhi Gardens, and old historical monuments. Safdarjungs tomb is very close to Nizamuddin East.
    The architecture of these houses, and the gardens, is so different to the 'other'Delhi. I was amazed the first time we saw the grandiose mansions on Prithviraj Rd. It is known as 'Ambassador Row'.
    Nizamuddin East is a 'gated' suburb, and thus very safe to walk around in.
    The trees and shrubs are lush, and bougainvillia thrives here.
    Birds - especially eagles, fill the skies with their distinctive cries as they ride the currents above Delhi.

Fondest memory: The sound of birds- that is everywhere in Delhi. In Old Delhi- racing pigeons fly back to their keepers, at a given signal. Eagles perch on overhead wires, and rooftops. Crows cheekily peck at anything in sight. And they all call to each other. That is the sound that I miss most when I am away from Delhi. What is astonishing is that all this bird-life flourishes in the busy city. But then- with so many trees, and wonderful parks- it is understandable.

• Rupanworld's Profile Photo

Animals

by Rupanworld Written Feb 1, 2009

Favorite thing: Delhi is a very modern Indian city with amenities that can be compared to any big city of the world. But as one of my VT friends had put it, Indian roads cannot be imagined without animals, Delhi too is no exception, or should I say, it is full of animals all around! In Delhi, just keep an eye for it and you will come across horses (and horse drawn carriages), cows (and cow-pulled good carriages), buffalos, camels, goats, donkeys (with loads on their back), monkeys (ofcourse), apart from cats, dogs, pigeons and crows that are all around as usual. Delhi seems to have too many of them, and I guess it must be interesting for tourists, if ofcourse, you are not too nosy and choosy about surroundings. This is life in India, and we are just so used to it that we don't even notice.

• Rupanworld's Profile Photo

Monuments everywhere

by Rupanworld Written Jan 22, 2009

Favorite thing: While someone is visiting New Delhi, he/she should keep an eye around as Delhi is full of monuments from its glorious past. One comes across monuments on way to other monuments, some just lying beside the roads, unvisited, unknown. If you are curious, you might go in and see. Many of my tips have resulted from things that I just passed on my way and did not plan to visit and only later I came to know as I searched for those images on internet. This is very interesting. Here are pictures of some such monuments that I am still to know names of but which I crossed while on my way to someplace else. Amazing!!!

• 850prc's Profile Photo

Deepa Kapoor - a great guide in Delhi

by 850prc Written Nov 5, 2008

Deepa Kapoor, a super guide in New Delhi

Favorite thing: We were very pleased with the services of our local city guide in Delhi. A very pleasant and elegant lady named Deepa Kapoor, she was hired for us by our friend Navin of Gatik Eventures.

Deepa is a very hands-on and involved tour guide, sharing a great and intimate knowledge of the great city of New Delhi. Her explanations are concise, interesting and she obviously gears her presentation to the particular interests of her clients.

We particularly enjoyed that Deepa found "involved" ways to see the city and get a feel for India's capital. An example would be the choice of taking cycle rickshaws through the tangled, teeming and infinitely lively streets of Chandni Chowk, the series of old streets and alleyways in old Delhi. Cycle rickshaw was definite the way to get up close and personal to the pulse of the city, and it was incredibly entertaining.

Later, when we were deciding to eat lunch, Deepa had what many of you might think is an odd suggestion, but we loved it. She said that "McDonald's is different in India, because they don't serve beef", and she wanted to know if we'd like to see how this American culinary pop icon had been adapted for the subcontinent. So, we all went into "Mickey D's in Delhi" and enjoyed veggie burgers, fries and soft drinks. Very familiar and reminiscent of home, and yet so very Indian in the differences.

Deepa did an excellent job of sharing the intense and deep history of many sites we visited, most particularly over at Qutab Minor. Her passion for her culture, her city and her country were quite evident and inspiring to us, on our first day in New Delhi.

If you'd like an adaptable, flexible and extremely competent and knowledgeable city guide, I'd suggest you get in touch with Deepa. Tell her we said hello.

Fondest memory: Here is Deepa's contact information:

Deepa Kapoor
    skapoor_76@yahoo.com.au (yep, that's an Australian yahoo address!)

Mailing address

+91 41 602 688

• NYTim's Profile Photo

Currency exchange

by NYTim Written Jun 19, 2008

Favorite thing: You cannot buy Rupees outside of India. When you arrive and just before you leave the secure area there is a Thomas Cook currency exchange. Buy some Rupees before you leave the airport.

Fondest memory: I loved watching the crazy traffic, people and the animals in the streets. The food was also fantastic.

• National/State Park

Instant Answers: New Delhi

Comments

New Delhi Favorites

Reviews and photos of New Delhi favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for New Delhi sightseeing.