New Delhi Warnings and Dangers

• Your plane.  Are you at the same airport?
    Your plane. Are you at the same...
    by 850prc
    Crowds in Chandni Chowk
    by lynnehamman
    The temples on Chandi Chowk
    by NYTim

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in New Delhi

• Taxi Drivers

by Angel0305 Written Apr 24, 2007

While in Delhi we decided to travel around the area to see the sights - there are a lot of beautiful temples and building around. The easiest way round is to hire a taxi driver. You can hire them pretty much for as long as you like. They drive you to different areas and they are really cheap. My experience however, was changed after travelling to Agra to see the Taj Mahal. The roads in the area are not fantastic and can hardly be called roads. It is "some concrete" on a bit of land that is classed as a road. There is only enough room for one vehicle at a time (if that) and there are a lot of shanti towns on the sides of the road.
    While driving down one of these "so called roads" a child ran out in front of our taxi and the driver knocked him over. Obviously we panicked. The driver got out and was trying to placate the people who had very quickly surrounded the car and were shouting (we later found out that they were shouting kill the driver - but glad I couldn't speak Hindi). Everyone was trying to open the car doors – which I had locked. Not sure what the would have done had they have been able to get in. The child was thrown into the back of the taxi with me and then we had to find a hospital. After driving round we managed to find a hospital sign – good job, as the hospital was a house with some rooms and a couple of beds in it. Thankfully the kid survived – he had a bump to the head but apart from that was fine. In order for us all to be let go, the child’s father wanted money. The driver obviously had no money and we had to pool our resources in order to be let go. Now call me cynical but how much of this was an accident and how much was done on purpose – guess with these things you will never know – just be careful with people running out in front of you. If anything does happen – throw money in the air and run – I was later told this was the best thing to do.

• castorp75's Profile Photo

Downtown Delhi - drunk&zonked out rickshaw drivers

by castorp75 Written May 4, 2007

It is rather a warning since we did not get into any trouble using their services but be prepared that after sunset many bicycle rickshaw drivers (not the autorickshaw wallahs) will be drunk and/or zonked out because of smoking too much charas. This way in the traffic congested streets of New Delhi they not only endanger themselves but also you. Besides, losing their inhibitions they will try to grossly overcharge you or ask you to buy them some booze. Don't do it and don't give them more than 40.- Rs for a 2km trip even if they really insist, they won't go to the police or beat you and this is a fair price for them. Give them the Rs. 40.- and walk away.

• Applelyn's Profile Photo

Monkey Attack

by Applelyn Written Jun 25, 2007

Monkeys are considered sacred in India and it is illegal to kil them. They grew in numbers and began to attack people with bags of food. They even sneaked into houses to find food and destroyed the furniture. You have to be very careful if you spot one nearby. Try to avoid going too close to them.

• adite's Profile Photo

Things you should NOT do

by adite Written Mar 28, 2006

1. If you can avoid it, never stay in a cheap hotel near the New Delhi railway station or in Old Delhi areas like Paharganj. There will be a lot of touts hanging around in the New Delhi station and in popular shopping districts like Janpath and Connaught Place...Just be firm and DO NOT listen to them, no matter how attractive their deal sounds. If you need help approach the nearest tourist centre or ask somebody to guide you to a Tourist help booth.

• Seniors
    • Women's Travel

• Health Concern: DELI BELLY

by txmsle Updated Oct 10, 2004

Never Never eat at any food stalls on the street.
    Never Never eat salad , raw vegetables and fruits from any food stalls or any small restaurants. Try to stick to any restaurants in the big hotel or any upscale restaurants. By following this advise, it's still not guarantee that you would not get sick from eating at any big restaurants. Delhi Belly is not just a simple diarrhea symptom. Some people may have nonstop diarrhea and vomitting at the same time. Some may experience terrible abdominal cramps. Remember Peptobismo or other anti-diarrhea do not treat this problem since the problems may be caused by micropscopic organism. The lab technician may determine if you have Amoeba or ghardia (??sp) from your stool sample. Remember always have your hand sanitizer handdy with you. Try to stay healthy as much as you can. while you're in India.....

• melocoton13's Profile Photo

Every1s a Chancer

by melocoton13 Written May 16, 2004

I just hated how every1 was a chancer in India. if u go to the toilet theres some guy ther to collect money for maintainance no matter what kinda horrible state its in.
    the worst was at the airport when I was leaving. a guy came to my car with a trolley and the driver put my bags on it. this guy pushed the trolley bout 50m to the door of the terminal and asked for R100! ($2.50). I only had a R100 note but said Id give him R50 and he said he had no change and wanted me to go to a shop to get change. still feeling sick I was not going to do that so grabbed my trolley and walked off. then like magic the guy produced change for my R100. You just cant relax there for a second.

• Architecture

• samiray's Profile Photo

A horrible midnight in new Delhi

by samiray Written Nov 4, 2007

It was March 2005 which I visited Delhi. My friend and I took a local tour to visit Agra. It was a bus with about 45 Indian people. It was actually a low price one day religious tour.
    We planed to leave Delhi at 8 morning and back to Delhi by 8-9 evening.
    We wanted our driver to pick us up at the same time, and if we were a bit late, then will reach home by a public vehicle.
    Unfortunately the trip get finished at 2 morning, the driver dropped us up in front of the agnate which was already closed. He denied helping us to go home in such bad time.
    We didn’t have cell phone and there was not any public phone around.
    Two young girls in the middle of the city in the midnight, and there was nobody to help us.
    By chance we figure there was a taxi station which we accidentally find. There was also too dark and seemed unsafe, but finally we trusted and saved ourselves.
    What I learned from this experience were:
    1- don’t count on Indian local tours’ schedules;
    2- try to have a cell phone;
    3- make sure about the vehicle in case you ask the local drivers instead your own driver;
    4- Control yourself to find a good solution.

• Women's Travel
    • Work Abroad

• Helen64537's Profile Photo

Travel Agents

by Helen64537 Written Nov 26, 2007

After a day tour of Delhi we found ourselves in Ashok Travels & Tours, recommended by the Lonely Planet, being offered a two week tour of Rajasthan. We said no and wanted to leave to get something to eat, having not eaten all day because the driver had not stopped for lunch. After an hour of being talked at we gave in. I felt a lot of pressure from the agent to do so and was very unhappy.
    After a few days we began to realise that the agent was not fulfilling our signed agreement. He did not refund the train we had already booked as he agreed. He did not cancel the hotel bookings we had made ourselves, as he had said we would, resulting in demands of even more money from one hotel. When I spoke to him he shouted down the phone at me and said we must pay, then he told my boyfriend that he would in fact pay, then told the hotel that he would not. We did not have time to spend on our own in most of the towns, as promised, because the driver deemed it unsafe to wander around without him. The last hotel we stayed in was one of our choice. We paid Ashok £75 for these 3 nights (over double what we would have paid directly) only to find that we then had to pay the hotel too! Our driver left before the end of our tour for personal reasons, but there was no refund. At the end of the tour for our onward journey Ashok bought waiting list tickets for us, not the reserved AC2 as agreed. Sleeper Class was not what we expected and as a woman I did not feel comfortable boarding a carriage at 1 in the morning with 70 other people on it (the majority being men).
    Whenever we tried to resolve the above issues, either Ashok's phone was off or he said he would call back when he was less busy but never did.
    All in all I would strongly recommend that people avoid this travel agents unless they want to pay a hugely inflated rate for a driver, car and average hotels accompanied by a lot of hassle, upset and terrible customer service.

• pedestrian beware!

by mollynsteve Written Jan 17, 2008

Pedestrians have no rights. Drivers ignore you, cut you off as you try to cross the street, and do not slow down as they approach. No wonder so many pedestrians are killed on New Delhi's streets every year!

• l_joo's Profile Photo

Warning tip XX

by l_joo Written May 10, 2005

Another contribution for my readers. If you look closer, one portion of the thing has a shoe print on it, somebody must have just step on it. That's all, I am in no mood to contribute anymore warning tips.

• marinka_malinka's Profile Photo

Beggars

by marinka_malinka Written May 27, 2006

There are a number of beggars on the street, please keep an eye on your belongings. Don't try to give them money or food as if you ever try you wont be able to get rid of them.
    They are very persistent, try to stay away from them.

• Larnie's Profile Photo

Dodgy cabbies!!!

by Larnie Written Mar 7, 2005

When you arrive at Delhi airport and exit the doors, you will be rushed with cab drivers wanting to take you to places “they” want you to stay.
    If you don't have anywhere to stay try not to let on to this.
    I was taken to a hotel where they tried to charge me US$70 for a night (and it was already 2am).
    After much arguing and me threatening to leave, I ended up staying there for US$7 for the night.
    The cabbies near the airport, know all the owners of the local hotels and as they get a cut, they will try to rip you off as much as possible.

• ghajela's Profile Photo

Single women travellor

by ghajela Written Mar 24, 2008

The data shared by people in this forum is indeed true about womens but what it does not reflect it that majority of cases occurred due to alcohol or drug influence. This can be bad in any part of the world why only India. Its quite safe to travel alone at delhi what is required would be bit of a caution. Try and dress decently so not to attract undue attention. Be very reserved in making friends and at nights strictly avoid making new friends. Do not let others buy you a drink.

Try a stick to single mode of transport for the travels at delhi. Delhi is damn good place to visit and as mentioned in the tip above there are lot of things which can be seen. DO NOT stay at Paharganj/Old delhi area when taking a hotel.

Avoid buying a golden triangle from your place as you will get damn good deals once at delhi.

• PeterVancouver's Profile Photo

Lack of Danger

by PeterVancouver Updated Jun 4, 2006

There seems to be a number of comments around about the dangers of travelling in India. Whilst it is perfectly true that if you look the typical tourist and leave cameras or wallets around, or more or less anything of value for that matter, they may suddenly disappear. It is, however, extraordinarily unusual to come to any physical harm, although the poorly lit or unlit streets, do look somewhat menacing and in market areas, pickpockets are often on the look out for possible customers. Be prepared for very persistant hawkers and beggers, who are exceptionally tenacious, especially in underpasses, which, certainly in daylight hours, are normally perfectly safe, with far more danger being in the overhead traffic which stops for no one.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo

New Dehli

by Luchonda Written Dec 5, 2003

Give me a light please !

It is in fact no danger - but even lightners are interesting for some people - the ask a light - and often forget to give it back !!
    I know it sounds silly - but i respect Indian people - they have to respect me aswell !!
    The picture is showing our guide - a great one !!

Instant Answers: New Delhi

Comments

New Delhi Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of New Delhi warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for New Delhi sightseeing.