The statue of Joseph Francois Dupleix is situated in the beach road, you reach it at the end of the promenade road and is hard to miss. Dupleix was an integral part of Pondicherry’s colonial past. He was the governor of Pondicherry between 1742 and 1754.The 2.88 m tall statue of Dupleix stands at the southern end of the park. Even though Dupleix left Pondicherry in 1754, French recognition of his contribution came only in 1870, with the commissioning of two statues-one in Pondicherry and the other in France. It is situated in Goubert Avenue.
Joseph Francois Dupleix (1697-1763) was the French governor here between 1742 and 1754 and much of Pondicherry's colonial past lies around him. He tried to prevent British supremacy by forming alliances with local princes. This power struggle was aggravated by the War of Austrian Succession in Europe between England and France. With the final defeat of the French in the Second Carnatic War, Dupleix relinquished his governorship and returned in disgrace to Paris.