Ketambe Warnings and Dangers

A fast flowing river we needed to cross
    by Daihappydai
    'Leech-proof' socks while jungle treking
    by Daihappydai
  • A leech fattened up on my friend's stomach!
    A leech fattened up on my friend's...

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Ketambe

• Daihappydai's Profile Photo

Water crossings in the jungle

by Daihappydai Written Mar 10, 2012
    Preparing for a river crossing

Whether you are on a day trip or overnight hike, the chances are that you will need to cross a river or two as you trek through the jungle. This will mean removing shoes and socks and possibly stripping down so your trousers don't get wet. But, the most important thing is ensuring your camera and other valuables are safely package in a waterproof bag or plastic and stored so they can be carried securely and easily. Currents can be quite strong and river floors are likely to be rocky and slippery.
    Take care! While the guides seem to do it easily, my thinking was slow and steady - I just wanted to make it safely.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

• Daihappydai's Profile Photo

Be aware of the 'Creepy Crawlies'

by Daihappydai Written Mar 3, 2012
    A large tick waiting to suck my blood!

Treking in the jungle is a great experience but it does come with a certain amount of risk in terms of insect 'bites'. Most guides in Ketambe will give you 'leech-proof' socks, which are basically pieces of material sewn into a sock that you wear over your own socks and then tie up just under the knee. This certainly does offer additional protection for your feet and legs. But remember, leeches and ticks will latch on anywhere they can. My suggestion is, if yo feel an itch, look before you scratch! At times a leech or tick will find its way under a shirt and scratching may result in removing part of the insect but leaving the actual mouth/head attached.
    The insects appreciate the moist, warm climate and this includes accommodation along the river. I had a close encounter with several wasps - although they weren't really interested in me per se, more than likely it was the salt on my skin they were after.
    And one night I awoke to a loud, banging noise. Something was inside my room bashing itself against the ceiling. Light revealed it was a cicada making an incredible racket. The only way to encourage it outside was to turn off my light, go outside, and shine a torch, hoping the cicada would be attracted to the new source of light. Eveentually it was and I could go back to sleep.
    All part of the adventure.....

• Hiking and Walking
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

Instant Answers: Ketambe

Comments

Ketambe Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Ketambe warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ketambe sightseeing.