Day Trip, Bali

Danau Tamblingan
    Puncak Bagus Cafe'
  • Day Trip
  • meggy88's Profile Photo

Want to learn how to cook Balinese Food!!!

by meggy88 Updated Feb 16, 2008

Watching

If you are interested in cooking and love Balinese/Indonesian food definitely book a cooking class at Bumbu Bali. The menu you cook includes fifteen dishes which are predominantly Balinese cuisine as opposed to Indonesian. Its an early start to the day to as its off to the markets to buy the fruit, meat, seafood and spices that will be used in the cooking. After your shopping trip its back to the school to have a fantastic breakfast with local fruit, typical balinese breakfast treats and of course that very strong but wonderful bali coffee. Then comes the cooking and what I think is really good is that whilst you help do some of the cooking you do not do it all. I have previously done a cooking school where you cooked all the food and by the end of it there was too much food plus you were well and truly did not feel like eating even a portion of it. The end result at Bumbu Balia was a feast that was out of this world and I could not stop eating even though I was full. Best Meal I have had in Bali and well worth the cost.

• Cathy&Gary's Profile Photo

White Water Rafting

by Cathy&Gary Updated Apr 4, 2011

White Water Rafting

Well, this was one tour I have never had any interest in and I was talked into doing it.
    For some reason I was terrified and even considered pulling out before we got into the rafts.

Boy am I glad I didn't. It was so much fun, I absolutely loved it. The guides are fantastic and full of local knowledge, they are all trained in Safety and First Aid etc.

Sobek's two-hour rafting trip takes you through some of the most spectacular scenery Bali has to offer.

World-class river guides and modern safety equipment make this a fun day for all the family, a mix of wild excitement and fantastic sightseeing as you switch between Class II and III rapids and wide, leisurely stretches through tropical rain forest.

Throughout your trip the guides not only skillfully maneuver your rafts, but also take the time to pass on their knowledge on local Balinese lifestyle and the local flora and fauna of the Ayung River valley.

Air-conditioned transport takes you to the start point north of of Ubud to collect your rafting equipment and a thorough briefing on the correct way to raft the Ayung sets the scene before you head off down the 25 rapids that connect SSobek's two river bases.

See spectacular waterfalls, beautiful rain forests, locals bathing in the river as you cover the 12 kilometers to the Kedewatan finish point.

A buffet lunch is also included.

What to wear
    * Shorts or bathers
    * T-shirt, a change of clothes
    * Strictly sport / river shoes

We highly recommend White Water Rafting.

Lots More Photo’s Here

• Adventure Travel
    • Photography
    • Rafting

• Lemukih Trekking Tour from Lovina

by Stiller Updated Dec 9, 2009

I recommend strongly to do the stunning Lemukih Trekking Tour, starting in Lovina. It is a rare and unique opportunity to experience the traditional culture and the beautiful nature of North Bali. But to save money it is best to book directly with the guide. His name is Ketut Ariana, phone: +6281337377110. The tour is not cheap but fantastic and not organized somewhere else. It takes about 8 hours. The price is for the hiking tour > Min.2 people = 26 euro/person, 3 - 4 people = 24 euro/person. Price includes: Transport, Lunch, Snacks, Fruits, mineral water, local donations and Guide. Use this website only for the information and make the reservation directly with Ketut it is the best way to make sure that the money gets directly to the person who deserves it and you will save money as well.
    I did the tour with my wife and it was the best expierience in 45 days of traveling through
    Bali and Lombok. Yo will need good walking shoes and if possible also water shoes.

• Jungle and Rain Forest

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Bali Day Trip

by easterntrekker Written Aug 7, 2011

Barong Keris Dance

We arranged for a driver to take us around to see the sites. This is easy to do as there is a "travel agent" every few feet along the main drag in town!
    We paid 400,000 RM which seems to be the going rate. We leave at 9AM and return at 6PM.
    Our driver spoke good English and we had a wonderful day stopping at all the "tourist spots" and villages along the way.

• Seniors

• Travel Guide

by LA-IBIZA Written Feb 12, 2009

We were just in Bali for 6 days actually. I was great. However, I strongly suggest you get a guide. We used Wayan Budiasa thorugh American Express Travel Services. His English was perfect, he showed us all the cool local spots, and we could just sit back and relax until we got to our destination. There is quite a bit of traffic in Bali so it is best to take it easy and have someone let you take you around....Don't forget to go to a waterfall.
    Wayan is more than a guide, he's like a best friend. His contact info is +081 79749793 dwibali@dwidayatravel.com

Enjoy!

• Beaches

• DaHongHua's Profile Photo

Bali Bomb Memorial

by DaHongHua Written Feb 9, 2014

The 2002 Bali bombings occurred on 12 October 2002 in the tourist district of Kuta on the Indonesian island of Bali. The attack killed 202 people and 240 people were injured.
    The memorial was dedicated on 12 October 2004, the second anniversary of the attack.
    The memorial is made of intricately carved stone, set with a large marble plaque, which bears the names and nationalities of each of those killed. It is flanked by the national flags of the victims. The monument is well-maintained and illuminated at night. ( above text were cut and paste from Wikipedia )
    In 2011, we purposely requested our driver, Norman to drop us there to pay respect to the deceased before we flown for home.

• sueta's Profile Photo

Trip around Bali

by sueta Written Apr 23, 2008

Hi,

If you want to explore the different scene of Bali, it is really fabulous to have a trip around the islan of Bali where you can make sucha wonderful tour over the central, north and even west and east Bali. There are so much to explore a part from the busy southern part of Bali which is more commercial. The area further north and central of Bali offering you the real scene and life of the people. I am sure that you are going to discover a different Bali with the trip around. It is also save you much time commuting from one area.

Please email me if you want to get more idea and suggestion.

• Sharna.'s Profile Photo

Get Lost!

by Sharna. Updated Dec 3, 2013

Wander down the streets

One day I set off on my own with the intention of getting lost so I could find the real Bali. I do it everywhere I travel and it works. I wandered through streets and paddocks and saw pigs in muddy garbage piled up in paddocks, cows tied to trees grazing the grass beside modest homes and mangy mutts sniffing around for a free feed.

Some local kids were laughing at me. "You lost lady?" I smiled and waved and answered, :No I'm not lost thank you." They just laughed hard and said, Oh lady you ARE lost you want help?(insert hysterical laughter)" It took a few goes to convince them I was fine and eventually they zoomed off on their mopeds - still laughing. I couldn't stop smiling, it was such a funny experience.

Next I met an elderly lady carrying so many objects she was struggling. I offered to help her and she accepted. We shared a lovely walk and I delivered her packages for her. Such kind eyes and a beautiful smile. Even without words its amazing how much we can communicate with eachother.

There is no photo of the kids on mopeds or the women I helped. It wasn't appropriate to take a photo and to be honest it didn't occue to me - that's waht memories are for.

• Cathy&Gary's Profile Photo

Have a Tattoo

by Cathy&Gary Updated Oct 9, 2006

Gary's Dragon Tattoo

Gary decided he would like a full back tattoo of a dragon, so now the search was on. After checking out quite a few shops he decided on Mr Dolphin, they are over the road from the Ramanyana Hotel's Stadium Cafe.

The dragon was done freehand and of course he loved it, so after negotiating a price (about $400 Aussie Dollars) he booked in for the next day.

The tattoo was done over 2 days. This was a bit boring for me of course, so off I went shopping. I don't know how someone can sit there for so many hours and by the end of the second day, it was obviously hurting, due to some imflamation, so was a welcome relief when it was finished.

Mr Dolphin's studio is spotless, sterile etc, everything you would expect in a top tattoo studio.

We have also recommended this place to quite a few people who in turn are very happy with what they have had done.

• Hire a car and explore the city!

by Beabea16 Written Feb 25, 2012

Bali is such a beautiful place with temples, mountains, lakes, volcanoes and beaches to explore. I was there last May 2011. The perfect way to go around is to hire a driver. I highly recommend Bram, you can contact him at bramsadia@yahoo.com.

You can read more about Bali here.

• sybille's Profile Photo

Not a single tourist or souvenir seller in sight

by sybille Written Feb 4, 2012
    sign post for Yeh Masem

Living and working in Bali, it's easy to get into a routine which is not so very different from living elsewhere. Sometimes I forget why I am here, and that's when I take a day out, trying to visit places which I either have not been to before, or have not been to for quite a while.

Last week my first stop was a few kilometers out of Amed, on the east coast of Bali. I had read about a place called Bangle Yeh Masem - the 5 Holy Springs. The narrow, slippery path winds down to a river which needs to be crossed, so don't wear your dancing shoes. On the other side one enters a beautiful bamboo forest. The sound of bamboo whispering in the breeze, to me, is pure magic. I came across a family with a tiny baby, carried in a sling by the father, and proudly shown to me. When I came to a small temple, I had a break and then turned around, to get back to the car. Because my second destination of the day, was about two hours drive away.

Pura Pasar Agung

Although a fair distance away, the Pura Pasar Agung Group, located on the higher slopes of Mt. Agung at 1600m, is considered to be part of the Besakih Group, the Mother Temple of Bali.

From the car park I noticed steps, and more steps, leading steeply up towards the temple (Pura means temple). Neither being the youngest, nor the fittest person, I started climbing with a sense of trepidation, not sure that I would make it to the temple. But I did, and luckily I only found out afterwards that it's some 300 steps. On the way up we met some young men coming down, still wearing their beautiful temple clothing. It never fails to impress me how closely religion is interwoven with day to day activities here in Bali. Pura Pasar Agung is an impressive group of temples and shrines, with Mount Agung a mighty pressence in the background. It is also the start of one of the Mount Agung hikes - which I had no intention of doing. On the way home I stopped and bought some freshly harvested salak, the famous and very tasty local fruit which we call snake fruit.

Neither at Bangle Yeh Masem near Amed, nor at Pura Pasar Agung did I meet any tourists or souvenir sellers, and I once again remembered why I live in Bali.

• Daihappydai's Profile Photo

Take a Batik making class

by Daihappydai Updated Apr 30, 2011
    Batik making class, Bali

One of the arts that exemplifies south-east Asia is batik, and you can learn about the techniques involved in the art at classes in Bali. A number of companies, many supporting village industry, offer half-day, day, and multiple-day classes. Learn about the design process, applying the wax and the dyeing process. Take care with the wax, it is very hot! When I attended a class, I clumsily spilt wax on my hand - very painful - but fortunately the family-run class had fresh aloe vera growing in their back yard to soothe the burn.
    Check the web for courses - many held around Ubud.

• Diane_Ash's Profile Photo

Island Hopping in Nusa Lembongan

by Diane_Ash Written Jun 7, 2012
    Devil's Tear

I always love to visit islands, they give me the ultimate sensation of being on a holiday.

currently visiting Bali, i read in a travel guide about Nusa Lembongan, an island of the coast especially known for diving and surfing.

I like diving and love watching waves, so gave it a try.

Getting there was pretty easy, just take a boat from Sanur and in half an hour, you put your feet in the sand at Jungut Batu Village, one of the main villages in Nusa Lembongan.

What i loved instantly about this place is that you really feel like you're in Bali, or the Bali that you had 30 years ago in the Kuta area. Sea weed is spread on the beach to dry, chickens are running around everywhere, i encountered very few touts and the combination of sea sun and sand gave me an amazing sensation straight away.

I dived with one of the local dive operators and was lucky to see some manta rays, turtles and beautiful coral formations. Some dive spots have colder water, but the variety os marine life made me forget about the chilly water instantly.

I also rented a scooter and drove around lembongan. I found there was a little bridge crossing to the small island next to lembongan, nusa ceningan. Cool! Island hopping was never this easy!

In the evening I had an amazing sunset dinner at a beach club, next to the dramatic rock formations at Devil's Tear.

People on the island were overall really friendly and always helpful.

I'' be coming back here to explore some more!

• Beaches
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• DaHongHua's Profile Photo

Trip to Puncak Bagus for the Twin Lakes

by DaHongHua Written Feb 26, 2014
    Puncak Bagus Cafe'

On doing the day trip, Mr. Norman drove us to Puncak Bagus at Jl. Raya Pancasari where from the top of the hill, the big Danau Buyan is on our left and the smaller lake, the Danau Tamblingan is at the right. There are a few coffee shops where the tourists can have a rest and have a cup of Kopi Luwak. It is cool at the Puncak Bagus. Joining pictures 2-5, form the panorama view of the twin lakes from Puncak Bagus.

• Photography

• Temples and Gods - Balinese Purification

by gobali Written Oct 26, 2011
    Tirta Empul - Tampak Siring Bali

Have you have ever done a Balinese Purification? We did it with Baliroomz Tours and Travel. First stop is the Tirta Empul Temple (located in Tampak Siring, between Ubud and Kintamani) for a bathing and self-purification ceremony, which is conducted by a Hindu priest. An special offering is made during the ceremony. After praying for a permit to use the holy waters the priest leads you to a deep bath of holy water to get purified. This is followed by prayers at the inner area of the temple's courtyard to get blessing water. The journey continues to the Gunung Kawi Temple, a legacy of the 11th Century Udayana Dynasty, passing the beautiful lush rice terraces of Tampak Siring village along the way. The temple complex comprises 10 rock-out "candi" (shrines), standing seven meters high, carved into the sheer cliff face. We then had a nice lunch at Cafe by the River at Hotel Maya in Ubud, whose charming design gives the feeling of being one with nature. After lunch, we continued our journey to Pura Goa Gajah (Elephant Cave Temple) for the next stage of purification. Goa Gajah Temple nesltes in Bedulu Vilage in the Gianyar regency. Wrapping up the day was the 2 hour massage treatment we got at the Pita Maha Resort. Our guide Nyoman of Baliroomz Tours and Travel was excellent. He explained every little detail

Instant Answers: Bali