Bali Warnings and Dangers

• Warnings and Dangers
    by flynboxes
  • The Shop name kinda sums up the place.....
    The Shop name kinda sums up the...
    by flynboxes
    traffic jam in Kuta (1)
    by DaHongHua

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Bali

• balisunshine's Profile Photo

Bitten by a dog!!!

by balisunshine Written Mar 21, 2010

In recent times,
    there have been more and more
    cases of rabies in Bali.

If you ride a motorbike at night,
    you may get chased by a territorial dog.

If you have the unfortunate experience
    of being bit by dog,
    immediately flush the wound with water
    and detergent for at least 10 minutes.

Then apply iodine or alcohol.
    Call the rabies tam at Sanglah
    at 081-23958111
    or go directly to Sanglah Hospital.

You may require an urgent vaccination
    and immunoglobulin depending on the
    category of the bite and/or the severity of the wound.

Call the Bali Animal Welfare Association (BAWA)
    holine 081 138 9004
    and they will pick up the dog for observation.

Arrrrggghhh!!!

• nancy80's Profile Photo

Trickery

by nancy80 Updated Sep 21, 2006

If u r being hassled to buy sth on the street, be very careful. Some ppl can be masters of trickery with words. They will say anything to grab ur attention and get u 2 agree 2 buy what they r offering. Once u've agreed, the rules change.

We had an incident in Kuta where a girl was offering me a manicure but i was not interested so she kept bringing the price down untill she gave us a "special morning price" of $1. I did not even want the manicure but was intimidated into it as i felt bad 2 turn her down when she was so insisting and hey, whats a dollar? So i agree and i let he give me a manicure and then when we r ready 2 pay, she asks for $10! She tried to convince us she meant $1 per nail and acted as if we were mad to believe u could get a $1 manicure! Anyway, we started to argue but we refused to give in and just walked away with her shouting and making a scene, trying 2 embarass us.
    Second incident, someone trying to sell us a nice wooden carved statue of a fisherman with a fishing rod...we were not interested so he kept bringing the price down untill he brought it down from $40 to $15. So he gets our attention and we agree. We try 2 pay him the $15 and suddenly he acts as if we r crazy, he claims he said $50. When that doesn't work, he claims he meant only the fishing rod is $15. We start to get irritated, lose interest and walk away after which he finally gives in and we get it for the $15.

To avoid these type of incidents, tell them very clearly what u understood from what they said before agreeing into anything. If they still manage 2 trap u, stand ur ground and just walk away.

• Extremely Corrupt Immigration Police at Airport

by levan32000 Written Oct 13, 2006

I just came back from my Bali trip. At the airport, the immigration police demanded bribe from me. They said that my U.S. passport only have 1 page left even though the passport is still valid until 2009. They asked me "Do you have anything to give me?" I pretended not knowing. They just kept fidgetting with my passport. He then passed to his boss and then they asked me to pay them $60 U.S. dollars on top of the $25 Visa fee. When I gave the money to them, I saw them just putting the money into their own pocket. I later met an Australian who have visisted Bali many times. When I told him of the incidence, he said that I should tell the Immigration police to go "f**k themselves." His passport has no pages left and when he made a scene shouting out loud that they are a bunch of corrupt officers in front of the tourists, they left him alone -- too ashamed to demand bribe. It is a well-known fact that the Immigration police at the Bali airport is extremely corrupt. Most of them are very uneducated but due to the money they got from the police, they drive luxurious Mercedes cars and live in extravagant villas while most Balinese people suffer in dire poverty. This is an embarrassment and a disgrace to the Balinese and Indonesian people.

• DennyP's Profile Photo

BEWARE OF INFECTED ANIMALS HERE

by DennyP Updated Sep 6, 2011

BEWARE WHEN HANDLING ANY ANIMALS HERE.

Wherever I travelled anywhere on the Island of Bali I was extremely careful of DOGS, MONKEYS, CATS or for that fact any animals as many animals here are infected with rabies
    The local animal welfare Charity BAWA (Bali Animal Welfare Association) I learned .. the local Animal charity Vaccinates ,Spays,and Neuters captured or surrendered animals...This is a huge and expensive undertaking by local volunteers...The free clinic and Animal shelter located in Ubud is the only Rabies Quarantine Centre on the Island of Bali..
    Bali being a huge tourist destination and a major part of the local economy this is a major problem..all animals that have been treated for the disease wear a VERY NOTICEABLE RED COLLAR..SO...You may like to stay clear of other animals especially the monkeys... Also you can volunteer if you like .. PHOTOS TO COME

• amyLbrown2002's Profile Photo

Take both American Dollars and Rupiah

by amyLbrown2002 Written Jan 2, 2007

We took only Rupiah - and when we went shopping around Ubud for paintings, woodcarvings and silver, were unable to purchase some of the things we wanted as we didn't have the US dollars.

They can convert it into Rupiah, and you can pay by that, but for the larger and more expensive items, it was just too much Rupiah.

• brigitte_lee's Profile Photo

wear your thinking cap all the time!

by brigitte_lee Updated Jun 18, 2011

In general, it's good to keep on your toes and just be vigilant when traveling. Bali is of no exception. There are quite a lot of so-called "surfers" who wanted to entice you to a surfing lesson, but in reality wanted a bit more. Oh sleazy.

So long as you say no, just smile back at them, and be on your way - everything will be fine.

P.S. Heaps of these kinds around Kuta area, down south Bali - where the night life and happenings are.

• cokes's Profile Photo

Mischievious Monkeys

by cokes Written Aug 14, 2006

Becareful when going to places like Uluwatu and Monkey Forest and any place in Bali where there is alot of monkeys. The monkeys here is very mischievious and will grab your food , sunglass and so forth and please take care of your camera as well.

Monkey eating someone`s sunglasses

• Tripack's Profile Photo

Drive or not to drive…

by Tripack Updated Jan 15, 2012

Drive or not to drive…

My first Balinese word that I learned was “hati hati” = be careful... seen on many road signs. From my experience, driving there is more than challenging... numerous potholes, lack of signs for danger, no direction (GPS is useless), break down car in the middle of the road, overflood roads, heap of sand on the road, rash ovetakings, dogs, cats, chicken crossing, traffic jam in city area, hazarding mountainous roads, din of horns… Honestly don’t take the risk to drive yourself, hire a safe driver who will well know the roads and its traps. Morever he will be your attentive and friendly guide and will be please to discover his welcoming island.

The local road code is only know by the locals, if you apply yours for sure you are getting in trouble. Scooter accidents seem to be the 1st cause of causality for tourist in Bali.

So be safe!

• Motorcycle

• meiyergani's Profile Photo

Take carefull with Monkey Forest

by meiyergani Written Apr 6, 2007

, There are so many places for visiting a monkey forest sanctuary in Bali, but don't visit the one in SANGEH, the monkey in Sangeh is a very bad habit one, they can steal everything of your own, even something from your pocket, your money, sun glasses, necktie, camera, your wallet. Ther is one please to visit monkey forest sanctuary in a safe, the one that situated at Alas Kedaton

AlasKedaton MonkeyForest sanctuary
    • Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Adventure Travel

• explorer001's Profile Photo

Besakih temple

by explorer001 Written Sep 28, 2006

The driver whom I hired was reluctant to take me to Besakih initially, but after some insistance, he gave in ( I never found out why - could it be out of the 'tourist route'? or he has no commisions?)

At the entrance you are required to register and then hire a guide. I'm not sure if these are guides licensed by the government - or basically 'mafias' running the show - they did show us their tags - but I wasn't convinced. Unfortunately, you must pay for a guide. No way out.

Price:
    To further convince you regarding their guide fees and worth, they will show you a 'guest book' which lists the names of the visitors and the corresponding prices they paid to the guides (mostly ridiculous/*** prices). I have been warned by the driver, to only pay a fixed price (I think it was IDR 60,000 per person - price Feb2005).
    Remember: Unless you're a rich person, pay the correct price. Don't spoil the market for other travellers. If you choose to pay more - don't write it down on the guest book (I wasn't even given the opportunity to pen my name :-)

More scam:
    After showing you the temple, the guide will ask for more money! At first I was reluctant, but later I paid him a small amount ( I think about IDR 20,000).

Imagine this: If every tourist gave in (just like me).. these guys are making heap lots of money!

• lebonginsomnia's Profile Photo

Cliff Jumping

by lebonginsomnia Updated Oct 5, 2014

DO NOT, under any circumstances, attempt the jump if the ladder is not down or you are screwed. A few Indonesian guys will come sometime after midday and lower the ladder into the sea. They will also make you sign a waiver of responsibility and charge you $5 for three jumps. When jumping don’t go wacky. Land like a pencil: arms straight to your sides, legs together. You don’t want to lose a testicle. Seriously! Even a low jump of 20ft will have the body hit the water at 40 km/h. This is twice that so be careful.

The current is pretty strong. Once you jump don’t fight it and let it carry you towards the ladder.

Hold On Tight Cliff Jumping Blue Lagoon Cliff Jumping Blue Lagoon Blue Lagoon Devil Tear Natural infinty Nusa Lembongan
    • Adventure Travel
    • Beaches
    • Women's Travel

• RAVINDRAN72's Profile Photo

Legian: Car rental scam!

by RAVINDRAN72 Written Oct 26, 2012

Our usual guide was not available and we thought that the an elderly gent with a beaten up van hanging out in front of our hotel will be ok but.....When I approached him he agreed on a half day tour starting from legian , travelling to lovina and return. Half way through the journey he started making complaints that the 250,000 rupiah that he initially agreed on was not enough! I duly reminded him on the agreed sum but he was adamant . There was heavy traffic ahead and we decided to return to our hotel, especially with a guide who cant keep his words.

It appears that you cant even make a man to man deal and expect it to be honoured!

Worst he continued to hail us each morning as we walked past the main entrance , as if not honoring your deals is very natural and the best way to earn long term business , truly puzzling.

The next day we took our hotel vehicle with driver and it was without incident.

So be wary of your next road side deal !

• deelighted's Profile Photo

Ghost in Kuta Beach, Bali

by deelighted Written Oct 19, 2005

This is a picture of my friend with ghost sillouette on it. We took lotsa pictures, but only this one picture captured the ghost. Please be polite in everything you say or do in Bali. its a sacred island

• Surfing
    • Beaches

• Beware of Money Changers!

by dragoon101 Written Dec 20, 2012

The money changers are the airport give you terrible rates, so it's probably best to avoid them. When you get into town, there are money changers everywhere. Be extremely careful when you are changing money. I had money changers try to distract us while counting the money, and struck up unnecessary conversation about where you're from, where you're staying, how do you like bali, etc. The woman who tried this was so bad at it that it really stuck out at me. I didn't realize they were trying to scam me until I noticed how forced her dialog was.

One money changer stole $100 from me. When I exchanged about $300 USD, he examined the bills and looked closely at the serial numbers. They seem to like certain types of numbers and certain "crispness" in the bills. Anyways, whether that's true or not, they use that as an excuse to request another bill from you. So, naturally you pull out your wallet and flip through your cash. I did this and the guy snatched a $100 bill from my wallet and said I like that one right there. I got a little angry that he touched my wallet, but it distracted me from realizing that he never gave my other bill back.

Dont take money changing lightly. Pay attention and if they ask for different bills, say no. Dont show them your wallet when you walk in, and dont show them where you're putting that money when you leave.

• nancy80's Profile Photo

Ant bites

by nancy80 Written Sep 21, 2006

While outdoors, be careful of ants, they bite! I was bitten while sitting in our hotel room veranda and did not notice it till afterwards when i had a big unusual bite which i showed to our driver. He asked if i sat on any bamboo furniture, so there was my answer! The ant that i remember seeing and which is probably the one that bit me was a silver coloured one.

Instant Answers: Bali

• Mar 21, 2014 at 7:41 PM

atm thieves in bali i went to an atm in the street in legian it looked like a phone booth standing on it's own on the pavement i correctly went through the usual steps to extract the equivalent of A$300
    the machine did all the normal clicking and whirring but no money emerged from the slot
    i eventually had to leave and go to the nearest bank
    it was there i found an explanation for my dilemma
    these isolated atm's are watched by thieves who have inserted a strip of cardboard into the money slot
    and then they wait for some sucker like me to come along
    afterwards they remove the cardboard and the banknotes backed up behind it
    so NEVER use an isolated atm there is no way of proving to your bank that you didn't recieve the cash

Bali Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Bali warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bali sightseeing.