Bali Warnings and Dangers

traffic jam in Kuta (1)
    traffic jam in Kuta (2)
    by DaHongHua
    motorcycles occupied part of the strret

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Bali

Bitten by a dog!!!

by balisunshine Written Mar 21, 2010

Arrrrggghhh!!!

In recent times,
    there have been more and more
    cases of rabies in Bali.

If you ride a motorbike at night,
    you may get chased by a territorial dog.

If you have the unfortunate experience
    of being bit by dog,
    immediately flush the wound with water
    and detergent for at least 10 minutes.

Then apply iodine or alcohol.
    Call the rabies tam at Sanglah
    at 081-23958111
    or go directly to Sanglah Hospital.

You may require an urgent vaccination
    and immunoglobulin depending on the
    category of the bite and/or the severity of the wound.

Call the Bali Animal Welfare Association (BAWA)
    holine 081 138 9004
    and they will pick up the dog for observation.

• nancy80's Profile Photo

Trickery

by nancy80 Updated Sep 21, 2006

If u r being hassled to buy sth on the street, be very careful. Some ppl can be masters of trickery with words. They will say anything to grab ur attention and get u 2 agree 2 buy what they r offering. Once u've agreed, the rules change.

We had an incident in Kuta where a girl was offering me a manicure but i was not interested so she kept bringing the price down untill she gave us a "special morning price" of $1. I did not even want the manicure but was intimidated into it as i felt bad 2 turn her down when she was so insisting and hey, whats a dollar? So i agree and i let he give me a manicure and then when we r ready 2 pay, she asks for $10! She tried to convince us she meant $1 per nail and acted as if we were mad to believe u could get a $1 manicure! Anyway, we started to argue but we refused to give in and just walked away with her shouting and making a scene, trying 2 embarass us.
    Second incident, someone trying to sell us a nice wooden carved statue of a fisherman with a fishing rod...we were not interested so he kept bringing the price down untill he brought it down from $40 to $15. So he gets our attention and we agree. We try 2 pay him the $15 and suddenly he acts as if we r crazy, he claims he said $50. When that doesn't work, he claims he meant only the fishing rod is $15. We start to get irritated, lose interest and walk away after which he finally gives in and we get it for the $15.

To avoid these type of incidents, tell them very clearly what u understood from what they said before agreeing into anything. If they still manage 2 trap u, stand ur ground and just walk away.

• Extremely Corrupt Immigration Police at Airport

by levan32000 Written Oct 13, 2006

I just came back from my Bali trip. At the airport, the immigration police demanded bribe from me. They said that my U.S. passport only have 1 page left even though the passport is still valid until 2009. They asked me "Do you have anything to give me?" I pretended not knowing. They just kept fidgetting with my passport. He then passed to his boss and then they asked me to pay them $60 U.S. dollars on top of the $25 Visa fee. When I gave the money to them, I saw them just putting the money into their own pocket. I later met an Australian who have visisted Bali many times. When I told him of the incidence, he said that I should tell the Immigration police to go "f**k themselves." His passport has no pages left and when he made a scene shouting out loud that they are a bunch of corrupt officers in front of the tourists, they left him alone -- too ashamed to demand bribe. It is a well-known fact that the Immigration police at the Bali airport is extremely corrupt. Most of them are very uneducated but due to the money they got from the police, they drive luxurious Mercedes cars and live in extravagant villas while most Balinese people suffer in dire poverty. This is an embarrassment and a disgrace to the Balinese and Indonesian people.

• DennyP's Profile Photo

BEWARE OF INFECTED ANIMALS HERE

by DennyP Updated Sep 6, 2011

BEWARE WHEN HANDLING ANY ANIMALS HERE.

Wherever I travelled anywhere on the Island of Bali I was extremely careful of DOGS, MONKEYS, CATS or for that fact any animals as many animals here are infected with rabies
    The local animal welfare Charity BAWA (Bali Animal Welfare Association) I learned .. the local Animal charity Vaccinates ,Spays,and Neuters captured or surrendered animals...This is a huge and expensive undertaking by local volunteers...The free clinic and Animal shelter located in Ubud is the only Rabies Quarantine Centre on the Island of Bali..
    Bali being a huge tourist destination and a major part of the local economy this is a major problem..all animals that have been treated for the disease wear a VERY NOTICEABLE RED COLLAR..SO...You may like to stay clear of other animals especially the monkeys... Also you can volunteer if you like .. PHOTOS TO COME

• cokes's Profile Photo

Mischievious Monkeys

by cokes Written Aug 14, 2006

Monkey eating someone`s sunglasses

Becareful when going to places like Uluwatu and Monkey Forest and any place in Bali where there is alot of monkeys. The monkeys here is very mischievious and will grab your food , sunglass and so forth and please take care of your camera as well.

• brigitte_lee's Profile Photo

wear your thinking cap all the time!

by brigitte_lee Updated Jun 18, 2011

In general, it's good to keep on your toes and just be vigilant when traveling. Bali is of no exception. There are quite a lot of so-called "surfers" who wanted to entice you to a surfing lesson, but in reality wanted a bit more. Oh sleazy.

So long as you say no, just smile back at them, and be on your way - everything will be fine.

P.S. Heaps of these kinds around Kuta area, down south Bali - where the night life and happenings are.

• meiyergani's Profile Photo

Take carefull with Monkey Forest

by meiyergani Written Apr 6, 2007

AlasKedaton MonkeyForest sanctuary

, There are so many places for visiting a monkey forest sanctuary in Bali, but don't visit the one in SANGEH, the monkey in Sangeh is a very bad habit one, they can steal everything of your own, even something from your pocket, your money, sun glasses, necktie, camera, your wallet. Ther is one please to visit monkey forest sanctuary in a safe, the one that situated at Alas Kedaton

• Adventure Travel
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

• Tripack's Profile Photo

Drive or not to drive…

by Tripack Updated Jan 15, 2012

Drive or not to drive…

My first Balinese word that I learned was “hati hati” = be careful... seen on many road signs. From my experience, driving there is more than challenging... numerous potholes, lack of signs for danger, no direction (GPS is useless), break down car in the middle of the road, overflood roads, heap of sand on the road, rash ovetakings, dogs, cats, chicken crossing, traffic jam in city area, hazarding mountainous roads, din of horns… Honestly don’t take the risk to drive yourself, hire a safe driver who will well know the roads and its traps. Morever he will be your attentive and friendly guide and will be please to discover his welcoming island.

The local road code is only know by the locals, if you apply yours for sure you are getting in trouble. Scooter accidents seem to be the 1st cause of causality for tourist in Bali.

So be safe!

• Motorcycle

• explorer001's Profile Photo

Besakih temple

by explorer001 Written Sep 28, 2006

The driver whom I hired was reluctant to take me to Besakih initially, but after some insistance, he gave in ( I never found out why - could it be out of the 'tourist route'? or he has no commisions?)

At the entrance you are required to register and then hire a guide. I'm not sure if these are guides licensed by the government - or basically 'mafias' running the show - they did show us their tags - but I wasn't convinced. Unfortunately, you must pay for a guide. No way out.

Price:
    To further convince you regarding their guide fees and worth, they will show you a 'guest book' which lists the names of the visitors and the corresponding prices they paid to the guides (mostly ridiculous/*** prices). I have been warned by the driver, to only pay a fixed price (I think it was IDR 60,000 per person - price Feb2005).
    Remember: Unless you're a rich person, pay the correct price. Don't spoil the market for other travellers. If you choose to pay more - don't write it down on the guest book (I wasn't even given the opportunity to pen my name :-)

More scam:
    After showing you the temple, the guide will ask for more money! At first I was reluctant, but later I paid him a small amount ( I think about IDR 20,000).

Imagine this: If every tourist gave in (just like me).. these guys are making heap lots of money!

• RAVINDRAN72's Profile Photo

Legian: Car rental scam!

by RAVINDRAN72 Written Oct 26, 2012

Our usual guide was not available and we thought that the an elderly gent with a beaten up van hanging out in front of our hotel will be ok but.....When I approached him he agreed on a half day tour starting from legian , travelling to lovina and return. Half way through the journey he started making complaints that the 250,000 rupiah that he initially agreed on was not enough! I duly reminded him on the agreed sum but he was adamant . There was heavy traffic ahead and we decided to return to our hotel, especially with a guide who cant keep his words.

It appears that you cant even make a man to man deal and expect it to be honoured!

Worst he continued to hail us each morning as we walked past the main entrance , as if not honoring your deals is very natural and the best way to earn long term business , truly puzzling.

The next day we took our hotel vehicle with driver and it was without incident.

So be wary of your next road side deal !

• nancy80's Profile Photo

Ant bites

by nancy80 Written Sep 21, 2006

While outdoors, be careful of ants, they bite! I was bitten while sitting in our hotel room veranda and did not notice it till afterwards when i had a big unusual bite which i showed to our driver. He asked if i sat on any bamboo furniture, so there was my answer! The ant that i remember seeing and which is probably the one that bit me was a silver coloured one.

Protection incase of a Break In - Part 2

by balisunshine Written Dec 11, 2005

Itemes to protect yourself

If not, leaving a scary feeling.

If you plan to have a home here,
    consider seriously what you can do
    to protect yourself, just incase of a break in.

Here are some tips:

1) Get the meanest dog you can find.
    This may not be an option if you have children.

2) Go to Ace Hardware
    and equip your house with motion alarms.

The more you have the louder it should be
    and if you sleep upstairs,
    it'll wake you up in time to call for help
    and hopefully scare the thieves away.

Motion lights are also available.

3) If you live in a house
    constructed by a Balinese,
    make sure you change any
    doors that lead to the exterior
    with solid wood doors.

In most cases, to cut costs,
    they have a wood frame
    covered by plywood
    to make the doors.
    Very easy to kick in and make a hole into.

4) Use double locks.

Including the kind that you need a key
    to be able to unlock the door inside and out.
    And put a door lock on your bedroom door,
    just incase you need to lock yourself in your bedroom.

5) Bars on windows may not look nice,
    but they will help to keep intruders out.

6) Always have your mobile phone close to you,
    charged and with enough pulsars.

Program the emergency numbers of
    your neighbors, police, ambulance, etc.

7) Buy something you can
    use in defense, such as pepper spray.

Bali is-a changing

by balisunshine Updated May 11, 2008

Sell, sell, sell!!

For those who return to Bali after a few years,
    or those who have lived here for several years,
    may feel a bit astonished at the velocity
    of how devolvement has evolved.

It seems like those who are blindly building,
    and only seeing the self benefits,
    have not taken even a glance or a consideration
    at the environmental issues, the lack of planning
    and the poor service infrastructure,
    that the island has.

With government officials
    willing to bend over and
    brake the building rules upon donation,
    areas that have been reserved as green belt,
    or even land that has been reserved as Temple Land,
    are easily traded off to fill the pockets of a few.

It seems that more and more people
    want to buy a piece of paradise,
    but do not see the poor sewer treatment,
    which has taken a toll on the population with disease;
    nor have the noticed the electrical problems
    that are occurring on the island,
    or the shortage of water that is growing each day.

If matter are not taken into proper hands,
    sooner or later this paradise island will choke,
    leaving those who thought that
    they bought a piece of paradise
    are actually living on an island
    slowly destroyed by greed.

Balis Need for Comprehensive Planning and Action

Cry the Beloved Island

• balisunshine's Profile Photo

Speaking with the local people

by balisunshine Written May 21, 2008

Talk to Us!!!

There are quite a few westerners that,
    come to Bali and start desiring
    a piece of so-called paradise.

With all eagerness,
    they go out a contract a piece of land,
    or think that they are
    buying a piece of land
    and in all excitement start building
    what they consider will be their dream house.

Quite are the few,
    that they come and exercise what
    they believe is normal procedure.
    I buy, this is mine.

Well, in Bali, there is
    a strong sense of community,
    no matter what you think.

So, you can go ahead and
    start building that dream home
    in your own way, but if you don’t
    establish a relationship with your community,
    you may just run into some nightmare issues.

It’s helpful to discuss your plans
    with the local community and
    that way you start socializing with
    what will be your neighbors
    and hopefully in the future, in some way,
    be your protectors.

If not, if for some reason,
    you fall into a community that
    does not appreciate your master plan
    of your dream house,
    they may stand together
    and make your life very difficult.

No violence, no aggression
    nor confrontation will be applied,
    but a steady resistance will be applied
    making your life difficult.

They may even wait until
    you have poured your many dollars
    into tons of cement which,
    has already built that dream house of yours
    and then you are really screwed!

Protection incase of a Break In - Part 3

by balisunshine Written Dec 11, 2005

Bars on Windows

One of the first things I plan to get which,
    I haven't found here is
    one of those blowing can horns
    they use in foot ball games.

That should alarm neighbors.

If you live in a Balinese community,
    that should alert them and they will for sure
    beat up the thief, if not kill him.

8) I once had a endless debate
    with a friend of mine about the open houses.

I personally, just can not sleep soundly
    in one of those open homes.

I already got robbed twice in one of them.

So when looking to rent/lease or construct a home,
    get one where you can use sliding glass doors
    to open it up when you desire,
    but that you can close it up
    and lock it up at night.

9) Maybe taking a class of self defense
    could just help you save your life.

10) You could always get a security guard,
    but either they fall asleep while on duty,
    or many times I have heard over and over again,
    they may be just the ones who
    set the robbery in the first place.
    I am not really sure on
    how much one can rely on the police here.

First they charge you money to make a police report,
    there crime investigation tactics are not of the finest,
    and to be honest, I don't really think they care,
    unless you give them plenty of money to do an investigation.

Remember, the Balinese believe that
    your misfortune is
    because of your karma.

So in a sense,you had it coming to you.

So be wise,
    and do what you can
    to take all precautions
    in protecting yourself.

Instant Answers: Bali

• Mar 21, 2014 at 7:41 PM

atm thieves in bali i went to an atm in the street in legian it looked like a phone booth standing on it's own on the pavement i correctly went through the usual steps to extract the equivalent of A$300
    the machine did all the normal clicking and whirring but no money emerged from the slot
    i eventually had to leave and go to the nearest bank
    it was there i found an explanation for my dilemma
    these isolated atm's are watched by thieves who have inserted a strip of cardboard into the money slot
    and then they wait for some sucker like me to come along
    afterwards they remove the cardboard and the banknotes backed up behind it
    so NEVER use an isolated atm there is no way of proving to your bank that you didn't recieve the cash

Bali Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Bali warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bali sightseeing.