Ubud Shopping

Most Recent Shopping in Ubud

Zen Bali Spa: Zen Bali Spa

by SFHulaGIrl Updated Jun 11, 2007

Zen Bali Spa is located in the vicinity of the ARMA Museum. Heading back towards the treatment rooms, there are raised steps in water -- reminiscent of Japan! Massage rooms have massage tables, showers and sunken tubs. The manicure/pedicure room overlooks neighboring rice paddies.

What to buy: I received the cutest manicure/pedicure at Zen Bali Spa. They offer both "with design." Their design is a little flower & leaves, as you can see in the picture.

Of the 3 spas that I went to in Ubud, I received the strongest/hardest massage here at Zen. It was actually painful at times. This may have been due to the fact that my calves & thighs were still suffering from my trek to Gunung Kawi 3 days prior!

What to pay: In May, 2007, their prices were: 1 hr. massage (Rp. 75,000); Exfoliating body scrubs (Rp. 30,000 to Rp. 35,000); Mandi Lulur (Rp. 115,000); Facials (Rp. 75,000 to Rp. 80,000); Creme Hair Bath (Rp. 75,000); Manicure or Pedicure with Design (Rp. 65,000; 45,000 without design); Foot Massage (Rp. 40,000); Waxing (Rp. 50,000 to Rp. 195,000).

• Spa and Resort

• SFHulaGIrl's Profile Photo

Sunari Tailor: This Woman is a Saint!

by SFHulaGIrl Written Jun 8, 2007

This is the tailor recommended by the hotel staff at Artini 2 Cottages. Her shop is located about 200 meters down from Artini 2 on the same side of Hanoman Street.

Made asked me what I had in mind. I wanted two sundresses. She showed me a few styles of dresses that she had already made. I asked if I could draw something up, which was fine with her. I drew two fairly simple sundresses, I picked out the fabric & she measured me. This was a Monday morning; she told me that they would be done on Thursday. She said that normally they might be done earlier, but that her mother had been sick. When I went to see her on Thursday, one dress was done, except for the hemming. She was still putting the other dress together. The reason she was late was because her mother had passed away on Tuesday!! Yet she kept apologizing to ME!! I told her that I completely understood & would still be in town until Saturday morning. However, the dresses were both finished on Friday morning. Balinese people amaze me. Even with a personal tragedy, she was concerned about a promise that she had made to me.

What to buy: Made makes mens' & womens' clothing; pants, dresses, blouses, etc. She has material available, but you could also bring your own.

What to pay: My dresses cost somewhere in the vicinity of $25-$30 apiece, including fabric. You will be asked to provide a deposit before she begins your work.

Cendana Resort & Spa: Cendana Resort & Spa

by SFHulaGIrl Updated Jun 8, 2007

I went to four spas while in Bali. Of the four, Cendana was the most expensive. The spa is connected to the hotel, which is next to & associated with Lamak Restaurant. To reach the spa, you must go WAAAY back behind Lamak & the hotel.

What to buy: I opted for their five-hour package, which went for Rp. 572,000 (approximately US$65) & included a traditional Balinese massage, body scrub, soak in a flower petal bath, soak in a jacuzzi, facial, manicure, pedicure & hair cream bath. The massage, body scrub, soak in the flower petal bath & soak in a jacuzzi were all good. I slightly preferred the flower petal bath here at Cendana to the one at Eve Spa. They even served ginger tea to me while I sat in the jacuzzi. Another plus (to me) was the sound of the ducks in the rice paddies while I relaxed. Five people worked on me at the same time for my manicure, pedicure & facial. It was relaxing enough that I completely fell asleep. I found the hair cream bath a tad strange, though I was also served more tea & fruit during this. When she attempted to blow dry & "style" my hair afterwards, it was a complete disaster! I was embarrassed to walk out on the street, & immediately tried to re-style my hair in the restaurant bathroom! The manicure & pedicure were also terrible. The polish was half chipped off of my fingers & toes within two days. I do NOT recommend the mani/pedi or the hair cream bath at Cendana.

What to pay: The Rp. 572,000 did NOT include an additional 10% tax (Rp. 57,200) or the additional 4% service (Rp. 62,920), which brought my grand total to Rp. 692,120, or more like US$78.

• Luxury Travel
    • Spa and Resort

Ubud Market: Silk Bags, Magnets, Scarfs, Souvenirs of Ubud

by arni_ph075 Written Jun 8, 2007

The outdoor Ubud Market is a gem, best visited in the morning, a shopping paradise for local crafts.. the vendors encourages you to bargain, the more you buy, the better the price :-)

If you are the first customer, they will try their best to give you the best price, for you to buy, as a goodluck for them. First customer is a charm, it can really get you a best price :-)

What to buy: I bought knick knacks of things, local crafts, that are easy to bring, and very colorful. Magnets, silk bags, and the assortment of jewelry case, adorned with sequins.

What to pay: All payments are in rupiah, the local currency.

Ubud Market: Intricate Carvings, Bali Souvenir

by arni_ph075 Written Jun 8, 2007

Ubud is home to some of the finest painters and artists of Bali... The tourist influx to ubud is not that many, and thus carvings and paintings are on bargain prices...

On my morning walks at Ubud Market, I happen to meet a man that do carvings on horns of animals..I initially dont have plans to buy, but checking the carvings its very intricate, and with the set for only 20,000 rupiah, its really a good deal.

The man dont have a stall in the market, but he carries all his finished products on a small bag, and approach tourists to sell. I really like it, how i wish i bought some more.

Stalls at Ubud Market: Get All From Ubud Market

by myspices Updated Jun 2, 2007

A two-storey building, smack right in the heart of the town of Ubud. Small outlets of various wares. A one-stop place for you to pick up all you want/need if you do not have time to go round shopping. Good bargains.

Convenient - as it is near to the bemo (bus) station and very near to Tourist Information.

What to buy: All local art and craft - batik and souveniers
    All local foodstuffs

What to pay: Depends on your negotiating skills. Reasonable.
    Silk shawl - about 90,00Rp
    Tshirts : depending on quality, ranging from 15,000Rp to 20,000Rp
    Necklaces : ranging from 7,000Rp to 9,000Rp
    Sarongs/batik cloth : ranging from 25,000Rp and higher for better quality ones
    Windchimes (bamboo) - medium : abt 15,000Rp

Stall along Jalan Raya Campuhan: Lovely beaded evening purse

by myspices Updated Jun 2, 2007
    Beads are tediously sewn onto cloth

It's a family run business. A young lady was seen laboriously beading the purse with her skilful hands. Each bead was threaded carefully onto the piece of cloth which will then form into a purse.

What to buy: Handsewn beaded purse.
    See another picture attached on the end product - a beautiful beaded purse!

Besides beaded purse, you can also buy beaded bracelets and necklaces - ranging from 15,000Rp to 20,000Rp

What to pay: 80,000Rp to 100,000Rp

Bintang Supermarket: Cheap drinks & foodstuff

Bintang Supermarket - cheap

If you are on your way to Neka Museum, do ask your cab driver to stop by this supermarket to get a stock of your beer, soft drinks and mineral waters. Prices here are comparatively cheaper than any other shops in Ubud. The foodstuffs here are also reasonable. Besides, drinks and foodstuffs, there is a departmental store.

What to buy: Mostly drinks and foodstuffs.

Canned beer at 7,000Rp each

What to pay: Fixed prices

• arni_ph075's Profile Photo

Kertah Asih Shop (Monkey Forest Art Market ): Traditional Ubud Paintings @ Affordable Prices

by arni_ph075 Updated Jun 2, 2007

Kertah Asih Shop

I really like the art collection in Tegal Sari, so I put on a quest for its similar paintings but on affordable price..The galleries along Monkey Forest Road are a bit too pricey for my budget, luckily I was able to pass by the Monkey Forest Art Market... Rows of shops selling paintings / replicas of local Ubud artists...

I have check almost all shops there, and was able to find Kerta Asih Shop, Wayan Asih, ( the wife) was very nice and their shop got lots of variety on ubud arts, the price is also the most competitive.

What to buy: Traditional Ubud paintings, your choice if with frame or just rolled canvas..The frames with Balinese woodcarvings is a nice touch and also very cheap.

The photos below shows different art style of Balinese artists, I really like the Balinese dancer painting, the stroke used by the artist is really different, kind of ringlets ..just like the paintings I adore in Tegal Sari...

I'm not exactly an art collector, but in Bali, i bought a lot. Very nice souvenir and really good prices.

What to pay: Your 100 usd will go a long long way, lots of paintings already. Bargain bargain!

Stalls in Sukawati: Pasar Sukawati

by myspices Updated Jun 2, 2007

Cheap art pieces displayed along the stairway

This place is away from the town of Ubud. Lots of locals love to come here. Yes, you can get lots of stuff here as the complex is pretty big but we don't really fancy this place as it's chaotic and the stalls owners are very aggressive. The paintings here are very commercialised and crude. Take a look at the picture of the paintings ...

What to buy: The usual local art and crafts. Lots of cheap art pieces.

What to pay: various - depends on your negotiating skills

• egonwegh's Profile Photo

Market Square Ubud: Very special fruit - Mangosteen

by egonwegh Updated May 8, 2007

Mangosteen, the 'Queen of Fruits'

What to buy: From the very first day we arrived in Indonesia - in the town of Medan in northern Sumatra - we'd wanted to buy some of these: they're called 'mangosteen' and are famous all over the region for being the Queen of Fruits. After twenty-four days of 'relentless searching' (well, no - that's not really true) we finally had the occasion of buying some at the local market in Ubud!

What makes this fruit so special to me is that my first paid translation assignment dealt with a health beverage by the name of Xango made from this fruit. So I guess you could say that our trip to Indonesia was to some extent 'funded' by Xango.

What to pay: We bought six of these for 20,000 rupiah - about 2 euro. Oh, and they tasted very good indeed, but it is hard to describe the taste, I guess you'll have to try it yourself!

• Ubudian's Profile Photo

Some Basic Shopping and Bargaining Tips

by Ubudian Updated Apr 6, 2007

What to buy: 1) If possible, shop in the morning. Most shops love to make an early first sale and will be more likely to give a great bargain. Always ask for the "harga" (price) "pagi", (morning) i.e. the morning price. Asking for that will indicate to the shop keeper that you are not new to this ritual, even if you are!

2) Unless the item is tagged, try to have a price in your mind before asking the price. In the Balinese mind, once you have asked for a price, you have indicated strong interest and to some degree, you are indebted (in their mind) to bargain. If you don't like the price, you are expected to bargain. Offer a price 30 or so percent below the initial asking price unless that would be too expensive in your mind in which case you could say, "ma'af" (sorry) "mahal" it's too expensive. A likely come back in that event would be for the shop keeper to ask you how much you want to pay. At that point you are almost trapped, but you could offer most anything as they asked.

3) What if the price is right? There is nothing wrong with paying full price if in your mind it is fair and you are happy to pay the asking price. You may note some disappointment on the face of the shop keeper who likely was looking forward to some serious bargaining. Personally I believe there is nothing wrong with this as the Balinese work hard for their money, and most of them could sure use the extra profit.

4) Finally, keep smiling and even offer a kind laugh or two during the whole process. For the Balinese, bargaining is like a virtual chess game, and they enjoy the process very much.

• Business Travel

• Restless-in-kl's Profile Photo

Ubud Art Market: A place to exercise your negotiation skills!

by Restless-in-kl Written Oct 11, 2006

Ubud Art Market

Ubud Art Market is an interesting place to get arts, crafts and souvenirs for folks back home at very affordable prices. All you need is great negotiation skills.

It's fun to go around all the different little stores and corners and look at what they have. Some shops sell the same things so it's worth to explore and find the one who's willing to sell for less.

Watch out for your bags and wallets as it can get pretty hot and crowded here. One thing that irritated me is that some of these more zealous shopkeepers would pull your arm/hand to get you to your shops and you need to be very firm on this without being rude.

What to buy: I bought some fragranced soaps as souvenirs at the art market. You can find trinkets, beaded shoes, bags, etc.

• aussiejen's Profile Photo

Local art stall: ART

by aussiejen Written May 8, 2006

framed and on my wall now

We were wandering along the streets of Ubud and came across a little stall with lots of unframed art work. We couldn't resist taking a closer look, consequently we eventually left with a few paintings in our possesion.
    A little boy of only about 8 or 9 was looking after the shop. He couldn't really speak English very well so we had to wait while he rang his boss (the artist) to come and help us.
    I originally had no intention of buying anything but while I was waiting for my brother to make up his mind I became intrigued by 3 that were hanging on the wall. They are now hanging on my wall : )

• aussiejen's Profile Photo

UBUD MARKET: Market Bargains

by aussiejen Written May 8, 2006

Ubud Market

Ubud Market is place that everybody seems to visit while in Ubud. It's one of those "must do" things.
    Like any market in Bali it's full of local art and crafts along with the usual sarongs, t-shirts etc.
    I always have fun bargaining with the stall holders. Never agree with the first price they offer you, it's always way too high.

Instant Answers: Ubud

Comments

Ubud Shopping

Reviews and photos of Ubud shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ubud sightseeing.