Ubud Shopping

Best Rated Shopping in Ubud

• tommix's Profile Photo

Dari Desa: Great indonesian textiles

by tommix Updated Apr 4, 2011

It's a rather small shop but I spent there quite a lot of time... It's a perfect place to buy not very expensive hand woven textiles (ikat, batik) from Bali and others parts of Indonesia. And the quality is really perfect! You will find there splendid cushions, colorfull bedding and tableware textiles, and handy bags.
    What is also important - the salesperson is not harassing the customers. You can make your choice at your time.

What to buy: Everything in this shop! :)
    More serious - take your time to discover all what they have in. And don't hesitate to ask for other colours - not everything is exposed.

What to pay: We spent a lot. But we bought a lot!

• Ubudian's Profile Photo

Some Basic Shopping and Bargaining Tips

by Ubudian Updated Apr 6, 2007

What to buy: 1) If possible, shop in the morning. Most shops love to make an early first sale and will be more likely to give a great bargain. Always ask for the "harga" (price) "pagi", (morning) i.e. the morning price. Asking for that will indicate to the shop keeper that you are not new to this ritual, even if you are!

2) Unless the item is tagged, try to have a price in your mind before asking the price. In the Balinese mind, once you have asked for a price, you have indicated strong interest and to some degree, you are indebted (in their mind) to bargain. If you don't like the price, you are expected to bargain. Offer a price 30 or so percent below the initial asking price unless that would be too expensive in your mind in which case you could say, "ma'af" (sorry) "mahal" it's too expensive. A likely come back in that event would be for the shop keeper to ask you how much you want to pay. At that point you are almost trapped, but you could offer most anything as they asked.

3) What if the price is right? There is nothing wrong with paying full price if in your mind it is fair and you are happy to pay the asking price. You may note some disappointment on the face of the shop keeper who likely was looking forward to some serious bargaining. Personally I believe there is nothing wrong with this as the Balinese work hard for their money, and most of them could sure use the extra profit.

4) Finally, keep smiling and even offer a kind laugh or two during the whole process. For the Balinese, bargaining is like a virtual chess game, and they enjoy the process very much.

• Business Travel

Eve Body Treatment Centre: The Best of the Rest

by SFHulaGIrl Updated May 18, 2008

Of the four spas that I went to in Bali, I would rate this one the best overall. This was by far the best massage & facial. They took me immediately, without an appointment. They are open daily from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. CASH ONLY!

I had the White Jasmine Lulur Body Scrub (125,000 rp), which included a traditional Balinese massage, shower & soak in a flower petal bath. The massage was relaxing. A bowl of flowers was even placed beneath the massage table for me to look at while my back was being massaged. My only complaint was that there was a bug in my flower petal bath. The facial was also very relaxing; I actually fell asleep.

On my return in 2008, I went to Eve spa twice. The first time I had a 90 minute combination massage, which was FANTASTIC! I was there again a few days later for a "body mask." This consisted of a massage, a "mask" (either Balinese boreh or mud) & the flower petal bath. I opted for the Balinese boreh, which was truly amazing to me. Once she massaged me & covered me in the spices, she wrapped me cocoon-style in a sarong & left me to relax for 10-15 minutes. During this time, my back became extremely hot, enough that I actually felt as if a heating pad were underneath me. A huge mosquito bite on my right thigh began to tingle. Once the sarong was removed & I was rinsed off, my mosquito bites quit itching & my temperature returned to normal. I believe that the Balinese boreh is reputed to remove toxins from one's body. It certainly seemed to work on me.

What to pay: In May, 2007, prices were: Traditional Balinese Massage, 1 hr. (Rp. 75,000); Body Scrubs, 2 hrs. (Rp. 125,000); Facials, 1 hr. (Rp. 65,000); Hair Cut, 1 hr. (Rp. 65,000); Manicure or Pedicure, 1 hr. (Rp. 60,000 with polish, Rp. 50,000 no polish). Spa packages are also available for Rp. 225,000 to Rp. 325,000.

• aussiejen's Profile Photo

UBUD MARKET: Market Bargains

by aussiejen Written May 8, 2006

Ubud Market

Ubud Market is place that everybody seems to visit while in Ubud. It's one of those "must do" things.
    Like any market in Bali it's full of local art and crafts along with the usual sarongs, t-shirts etc.
    I always have fun bargaining with the stall holders. Never agree with the first price they offer you, it's always way too high.

Zen Bali Spa: Zen Bali Spa

by SFHulaGIrl Updated Jun 11, 2007

Zen Bali Spa is located in the vicinity of the ARMA Museum. Heading back towards the treatment rooms, there are raised steps in water -- reminiscent of Japan! Massage rooms have massage tables, showers and sunken tubs. The manicure/pedicure room overlooks neighboring rice paddies.

What to buy: I received the cutest manicure/pedicure at Zen Bali Spa. They offer both "with design." Their design is a little flower & leaves, as you can see in the picture.

Of the 3 spas that I went to in Ubud, I received the strongest/hardest massage here at Zen. It was actually painful at times. This may have been due to the fact that my calves & thighs were still suffering from my trek to Gunung Kawi 3 days prior!

What to pay: In May, 2007, their prices were: 1 hr. massage (Rp. 75,000); Exfoliating body scrubs (Rp. 30,000 to Rp. 35,000); Mandi Lulur (Rp. 115,000); Facials (Rp. 75,000 to Rp. 80,000); Creme Hair Bath (Rp. 75,000); Manicure or Pedicure with Design (Rp. 65,000; 45,000 without design); Foot Massage (Rp. 40,000); Waxing (Rp. 50,000 to Rp. 195,000).

tegalalang: handicraft heaven

by aalayaa Written Jan 25, 2006

colorful handicrafts in tegalalang

a road where you can found 1001 kind of handicraft made locally.
    the village of tegalalang is famous by its handicraft and its rice terrace. along the main road all you find are shops. they sell the items in retail or wholesale for export.
    the price is cheaper since you buy directly from the maker.

What to buy: all kind of handicraft, most of them from wood

• Restless-in-kl's Profile Photo

Ubud Art Market: A place to exercise your negotiation skills!

by Restless-in-kl Written Oct 11, 2006

Ubud Art Market

Ubud Art Market is an interesting place to get arts, crafts and souvenirs for folks back home at very affordable prices. All you need is great negotiation skills.

It's fun to go around all the different little stores and corners and look at what they have. Some shops sell the same things so it's worth to explore and find the one who's willing to sell for less.

Watch out for your bags and wallets as it can get pretty hot and crowded here. One thing that irritated me is that some of these more zealous shopkeepers would pull your arm/hand to get you to your shops and you need to be very firm on this without being rude.

What to buy: I bought some fragranced soaps as souvenirs at the art market. You can find trinkets, beaded shoes, bags, etc.

• aalayaa's Profile Photo

kaiser: shop in blue & white

by aalayaa Updated Apr 4, 2011

stuffs in kaisar shop, tegalalang

this is my favorite shop always in tegalalang!!
    i always stop by everytime i pass the road of tegalalang.
    they sell wood curving stuffs in cute design mostly with color blue and white because most of the shape they make, associate with the sea such as ship, anchor, fish, lighthouse, etc.
    and the prices don't make you run away at all :)
    be careful sometimes they're closed during the weekend.

What to buy: wood carving stuffs, from cd shelf, photo frame, door hook, until key chain, mostly in color blue and white

What to pay: cheap cheap cheap

• myspices's Profile Photo

Bintang Supermarket: Cheap drinks & foodstuff

by myspices Updated Jun 2, 2007

Bintang Supermarket - cheap

If you are on your way to Neka Museum, do ask your cab driver to stop by this supermarket to get a stock of your beer, soft drinks and mineral waters. Prices here are comparatively cheaper than any other shops in Ubud. The foodstuffs here are also reasonable. Besides, drinks and foodstuffs, there is a departmental store.

What to buy: Mostly drinks and foodstuffs.

Canned beer at 7,000Rp each

What to pay: Fixed prices

Cendana Resort & Spa: Cendana Resort & Spa

by SFHulaGIrl Updated Jun 8, 2007

I went to four spas while in Bali. Of the four, Cendana was the most expensive. The spa is connected to the hotel, which is next to & associated with Lamak Restaurant. To reach the spa, you must go WAAAY back behind Lamak & the hotel.

What to buy: I opted for their five-hour package, which went for Rp. 572,000 (approximately US$65) & included a traditional Balinese massage, body scrub, soak in a flower petal bath, soak in a jacuzzi, facial, manicure, pedicure & hair cream bath. The massage, body scrub, soak in the flower petal bath & soak in a jacuzzi were all good. I slightly preferred the flower petal bath here at Cendana to the one at Eve Spa. They even served ginger tea to me while I sat in the jacuzzi. Another plus (to me) was the sound of the ducks in the rice paddies while I relaxed. Five people worked on me at the same time for my manicure, pedicure & facial. It was relaxing enough that I completely fell asleep. I found the hair cream bath a tad strange, though I was also served more tea & fruit during this. When she attempted to blow dry & "style" my hair afterwards, it was a complete disaster! I was embarrassed to walk out on the street, & immediately tried to re-style my hair in the restaurant bathroom! The manicure & pedicure were also terrible. The polish was half chipped off of my fingers & toes within two days. I do NOT recommend the mani/pedi or the hair cream bath at Cendana.

What to pay: The Rp. 572,000 did NOT include an additional 10% tax (Rp. 57,200) or the additional 4% service (Rp. 62,920), which brought my grand total to Rp. 692,120, or more like US$78.

• Luxury Travel

• SFHulaGIrl's Profile Photo

Sunari Tailor: This Woman is a Saint!

by SFHulaGIrl Written Jun 8, 2007

This is the tailor recommended by the hotel staff at Artini 2 Cottages. Her shop is located about 200 meters down from Artini 2 on the same side of Hanoman Street.

Made asked me what I had in mind. I wanted two sundresses. She showed me a few styles of dresses that she had already made. I asked if I could draw something up, which was fine with her. I drew two fairly simple sundresses, I picked out the fabric & she measured me. This was a Monday morning; she told me that they would be done on Thursday. She said that normally they might be done earlier, but that her mother had been sick. When I went to see her on Thursday, one dress was done, except for the hemming. She was still putting the other dress together. The reason she was late was because her mother had passed away on Tuesday!! Yet she kept apologizing to ME!! I told her that I completely understood & would still be in town until Saturday morning. However, the dresses were both finished on Friday morning. Balinese people amaze me. Even with a personal tragedy, she was concerned about a promise that she had made to me.

What to buy: Made makes mens' & womens' clothing; pants, dresses, blouses, etc. She has material available, but you could also bring your own.

What to pay: My dresses cost somewhere in the vicinity of $25-$30 apiece, including fabric. You will be asked to provide a deposit before she begins your work.

• aussiejen's Profile Photo

Local art stall: ART

by aussiejen Written May 8, 2006

framed and on my wall now

We were wandering along the streets of Ubud and came across a little stall with lots of unframed art work. We couldn't resist taking a closer look, consequently we eventually left with a few paintings in our possesion.
    A little boy of only about 8 or 9 was looking after the shop. He couldn't really speak English very well so we had to wait while he rang his boss (the artist) to come and help us.
    I originally had no intention of buying anything but while I was waiting for my brother to make up his mind I became intrigued by 3 that were hanging on the wall. They are now hanging on my wall : )

• aalayaa's Profile Photo

murni's: local craft by the restaurant

by aalayaa Updated Apr 4, 2011

the display

actually this is part of the famous murni's restaurant in ubud.
    the souvernir shop located by the entrance of the restaurant. you can find all kind of local craft, with friendly staff. of course the price is more expensive if you're good in bargaining in the market. but maybe you should check the price here before you start the bargain fighting in the market.

What to buy: all kind of local craft in beautiful display and fixed price

• Arfah's Profile Photo

Pasar Ubud: Good place to shop and save up

by Arfah Updated Jul 13, 2009

Pasar Ubud...good place to shop

It's a market. Two storey buildings...quite big. Located at Jalan Raya Ubud. It's a famous place. Apart from the shops built in the market...there are also wooden stalls in the middle of the market. All these shops and stalls sell many things...mostly are suitable to be taken home as souvenirs for loved ones or just for yourself.

What so special about it? You can find so many things under one place and you can bargain to get the most reasonable price.

What to buy: Here you'll find things that are also sold outside such as wood carvings, sculptures, paintings, handicrafts such as handwoven baskets, sarong, silk batik, tshirts, blouses for women, home decorative items such as lamps, table runner, cushion cover, beaded bangles, silver jewellery n etc.

What to pay: Paintings depend on sizes n quality, handwoven items depend on sizes...but if you're very good at bargaining...a big size basket can be bought at as low as Rp50,000 (that's about MYR17.50) which I found very cheap coz there's no way I could get a big handwoven basket with that price in Malaysia, wood carvings n sculptures depend on sizes n how detailed it is, sarong...the one made in Bali (Bali batik they call it) is quite cheap...price start at Rp15,000, silk batik, silk scarf, silk sarong, silk dress and other things made from silk...they're a bit expensive...price start around Rp140,000, blouses for women also depending on the quality and style...prices begin at around Rp40,000, home decorative items...4 cushion covers and 3 table runners...around Rp150,000 - Rp200,000, beaded bangles each sold between Rp10,000 - Rp15,000 (more you buy more discounts)...keychains with Bali written on it...5 for Rp10,000 n etc. Bargain reasonably...if you don't feel the price is right...walk to another stall/shop.

• myspices's Profile Photo

Stalls at Ubud Market: Get All From Ubud Market

by myspices Updated Jun 2, 2007

A two-storey building, smack right in the heart of the town of Ubud. Small outlets of various wares. A one-stop place for you to pick up all you want/need if you do not have time to go round shopping. Good bargains.

Convenient - as it is near to the bemo (bus) station and very near to Tourist Information.

What to buy: All local art and craft - batik and souveniers
    All local foodstuffs

What to pay: Depends on your negotiating skills. Reasonable.
    Silk shawl - about 90,00Rp
    Tshirts : depending on quality, ranging from 15,000Rp to 20,000Rp
    Necklaces : ranging from 7,000Rp to 9,000Rp
    Sarongs/batik cloth : ranging from 25,000Rp and higher for better quality ones
    Windchimes (bamboo) - medium : abt 15,000Rp

Instant Answers: Ubud

Comments

Ubud Shopping

Reviews and photos of Ubud shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ubud sightseeing.