Ubud Tourist Traps

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Ubud

• Arfah's Profile Photo

Don't try things on if you're not buying...

by Arfah Written Jul 13, 2009

I did this at Pasar Ubud. I tried on this head piece (Balinese dancers will usually have this thing on their head during performance) at this old lady stall. Wasn't really planning to buy it...however wondering how I would look with that thing on my head...I put it on n right after the old lady put it in a plastic bag...after a quite long bargain...I bought it for Rp15,000. Eversince...I've never tried anything on unless I'm really buying.

• petertheobald's Profile Photo

Get ripped off booking directly with Sobek

by petertheobald Written Nov 25, 2007

I visited the Sobek website www.balisobek.com before I arrived in Bali and booked rafting at Telaga Waja river.. the price was $68 and I was offered 10% discount for Internet booking, so US$ 61. When I arrived there, I found my driver could offer me the same trip on Sobek for $45! I called them but they said they cant reduce the price. I cancelled the booking and asked my driver to book, they refused to accept my booking. Finally I went rafting with another company, bahama rafting, on Ayung river - which is closer by and more picturesque, and paid only $31 plus transportation costs to and fro, since I was a single passenger.

Unique Suggestions: book it locally via an agent, driver or by calling them .. do not book from outside Bali, via the internet

Fun Alternatives: go to bahama rafting or any other company, there are plenty of brochures at the airport, listing many of them. Some of them even throw in a free one hour balinese body massage after the rafting!!

Telaga Waja river is further away from Ubud, plus there is no tree cover for the river, can get very sunny and hot. Ayung river is closer by, lots of tree cover, very beautiful.. i enjoyed rafting on it..

• Rafting
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

• arni_ph075's Profile Photo

Dolce & Gabana, Polo Shops all around

by arni_ph075 Written Jun 2, 2007

Polo

Im not exactly sure if this tip is really a tourist trap or a shopping tips. .... You may be surprised to see several Dolce & Gabana and Polo all over Ubud and Bali for that matter, and prices are really cheap. ....Its not the real thing.

I gather its not related to the D&G and Polo Ralph Lauren overseas, more of only available for Indonesian market...Hmm copyright not working?

• kenyneo's Profile Photo

You think you have a good bargain

by kenyneo Written Apr 16, 2004

Think again . Well we were dropped off at a Batik/wood carving shops in one of those tour and my fren bought several packet of Java Beans ...after so called discount he got it for Rp 25,000 . Happily we finished our shopping spree and when we met up at night at a small mall called Matahari (Sun) in Kuta Area ,we were shocked to see the same Java Beans are being sold at Rp 8500 per packet only , and it comes with a wooden box with wood carvings !

Lesson to learn - dont shope where your tour guid e is gonna drop you , instead just look and compare prices , usually you can get better price in downtown like Kuta , coz there are plenty of shops selling the same thing ...needless to say you have the bargaining power !

Good luck on your shopping spree !

• kenyneo's Profile Photo

Street Hassle

by kenyneo Written Apr 16, 2004

Believe me , they are everywhere ...and there is no way you can runaway from them ! Despite being warned by other VTs to think and think before I open my wallet , I still ended up buying one ( thank god just one ) unnecessary thing !

Well best way is to say no to them ..its difficult to make good decision when your emotions are involved ! feel pity for them ? then think about children in Africa and you wont feel so bad !

Just say no firmly and walk straight , many times i have to pull my sis and mum away from them !

• Women's Travel

• platypusak's Profile Photo

Americans can't bargain

by platypusak Written Jan 30, 2003

Everyone at every shop was ready to bargain...the prices seemed so inexpensive to start with, we felt like we were cheating them...so bargaining was really hard.

Unique Suggestions: Understand how to bargain and don't be afraid to..once we thought it was all over and turned away...only to have the shopkeeper say OK, OK

• euzkadi's Profile Photo

The Monkey Forest.

by euzkadi Written Dec 26, 2007

Ok, i liked the park, the small temple and the monkeys (long tailed macaque), but all these animals were brought to the island from Borneo, there were no monkeys in the island.

Instant Answers: Ubud

Comments

Ubud Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Ubud tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ubud sightseeing.