Surabaya Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Surabaya

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Safety is not an issue

by DSwede Written Sep 22, 2009

Despite traveling through the not-so-nice neighborhoods on the way to my job sites, I saw lots of poor neighborhoods and people living very meager lives, however, I was treated very well and always felt safe in Indonesia.

I made a few local friends that helped my several months there pass by nicely. They, their friends, the establishments we went to and everyone we met was quite nice and welcoming.

Just mind your valuables for theft and you will be just fine.

• cokes's Profile Photo

Corrupt people at the Juanda Airport

by cokes Updated Sep 2, 2006

This is relatively a small airport but trust me when I say alot of corrupt officials. I went to check in my luggage at the checkin counter and because my luggage was over weight the guy who took my bag quickly rested his arms over the bag making the bag heavier and so that the lady behind the counter don`t take the reading. This one guy came with a story to help me quickly with this problem and I refused so I paid the fine. Anyway waiting for my slip they took my buddies bag and put it halfway on the scale so it reads less weight and charged him IDR 100 000 as he was about 10kgs over and he would have a paid a very nice fine.

To put the cherry on the cake I over stayed my visa so I had to pay a fine. Lucky for me I went to the Immigration office to find out what the fine will be like and the guy there told me its 20US$ per day. Anyway I explaned to the guy at customs the situation and he had a long story pointing to the board on the wall which was in Bahasa Indonesia pointing at the 3000US$ section saying this is what I`m going to have to pay. I told him not to get clever as I know the rate as I was by the immigration office. Anyway he became all rude and angry and just took my money and sent me off. So please beware of these corrupt officials and if you think you might have over stayed your visa be sure to find a immigration office or call your embassy to try and rectify the problem.

• Personal Safety

by fir3blaze Written Jul 17, 2004

This tip actually applies to most developing cities in Asia, but for the benefits of those who seldom travel to the region, i'll just highlight it.

While travelling, please be aware of your surrounding/ people around you. Surabaya is comparatively much safer than Jakarta, but crime DOES exist, and violent crimes (involving harm done to the victim) occurs from time to time. Being a tourist, one often give the image of a "soft prey" to the criminals.

Avoid wearing excessive jewellery, avoid crowded public transport (a hunting ground for snatch thefts), and try to avoid quiet places at night.

• AliJoe's Profile Photo

Don't travel at night !!

by AliJoe Updated May 24, 2004

To The Peak Of Bromo

Don't travel at night to BROMO. While at BROMO avoid scrolling alone at night. For the mountain climber and hiking activities,do at the day time. Try to hired guide for this activity....otherwise your name will be appeared in the Daily Mirror,Sun or Local Jakarta Post as a MISSING PERSON.

• lupit's Profile Photo

CHEAP LOCAL BEERS!! Make sure...

by lupit Written Sep 8, 2002

CHEAP LOCAL BEERS!! Make sure to remember your limit and watch your consumption, otherwise you'll end up like me in the photo (taken on my bday at Desperado's), pissed drunk!

Instant Answers: Surabaya

Comments

Surabaya Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Surabaya warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Surabaya sightseeing.