Berastagi Favorites

• Relief on the roadside entering Berastagi
    Relief on the roadside entering...
    Monument towering over Jalan Veteran
    by Daihappydai
  • A mini-bus driver who wanted a chat and a photo
    A mini-bus driver who wanted a chat and...

Most Recent Favorites in Berastagi

In and around the main street, Jalan Veteran

by Daihappydai Written Apr 3, 2012
    Relief on the roadside entering Berastagi

Favorite thing: As I mentioned in my introductory page, I wasn't sure how long I would stay in Berastagi as I had heard mixed reports. In fact, I really enjoyed my time there, and while there is no night life to speak of, it is fun just to walk up and down Jalan Veteran and around the pasar watching the locals get on with their day to day life. Just like in any busy town, people don't automatically stop to chat, but people in the local coffee shops, around the market, or those just sitting outside their shops on Jalan Veteran are open for a conversation.
    With so many things to do in the area, Berastagi really is worth a three or four day visit.

Traditional dance and music

by Daihappydai Written Feb 19, 2012
    Children practising traditional dance, Barusjahe

Favorite thing: I was very lucky to be taken to Barusjahe Village, about 15km southwest of central Berastagi, to witness a group of young children practise traditional dance and music. The children, aged between 7 and 13, meet a couple of times a week after school in the village community hall to practice under the guidance of a volunteer teacher. He has been able to arrange for the children to perform in public on a number of occasions, and so keep some of the Karo traditions alive.

Flowers, fruit and vegetables

by Daihappydai Written Feb 18, 2012
    A huge field of cabbages with Mt Sibayak behind

Favorite thing: Not so much an activity, but one of my favorite things about the Berastagi - Karo region is the wonderful fields of flowers, fruit and vegetables.
    Along the roadways as you pass between villages, fields of cabbages, carrots, corn, strawberries, parsnip, pumpkin and much more abound.
    With the fertile volcanic soil, villages also take pride in their gardens - so many beautiful flowers.

Fondest memory: The people, the architecture and the beautiful flowers are things that will stay fondly in my memory.

• Photography

• schlumpf's Profile Photo

Do not drink too much in a Longhouse!!

by schlumpf Written Dec 9, 2004

is this a bathroom???

Favorite thing: I do not know about you, but my plan was not to drink too much, as I could not afford to fall down in such a bathroom, if I could named in this way...
    In the village I was there was no electricity at all, (thanks, we were in a tribal village...) my small torch could not help me so much...so, I guessed it was better not to drink to much and keep my “stuff” till the next morning as I would not feel so cool sleeping outside in case I wouldn’t reach the way back, or worst, in case I fall with my arse down ....

• schlumpf's Profile Photo

Take a daily bag...

by schlumpf Written Dec 9, 2004

Luca Luca....sleep!

Favorite thing: If you are going to overnight in a longhouse, then keep in mind to take a daily bag and fill it with whatever you think it would be necessary for you, from the toilet paper, the battery and the torch to water and sleeping bag, as in the village there will be NOTHING. At the end you are about to sleep on the floor...what do you expect???

• Bonobo2005's Profile Photo

Karo Lady with Dutch Sunglasses on her nose!

by Bonobo2005 Updated Jan 10, 2004

The Lady having fun

Fondest memory: Travelling by local transport - f.e. bemo -always gives great opportunities to meet and observe local people in a relaxed way.

During one such a ride a tobacco / betelnut chewing women (chin and teeth red) asked for our sunglasses and put them on her nose! And then for joke she didn't want to give them back...We couldn't understand what they said, but the situation in the bemo was hilarious.

These people had a so much different approach then those in the famous / infamous "traditional" villages; it's good to experience!

The Poffertjes man

by Bonobo2005 Updated Jul 15, 2003

Kids are fond of poffertjes everywhere on earth

Fondest memory: When walking around the village of Gurusinga, suddenly the "poffertjes" man arrived on his bicycle!

Poffertjes are tiny puff pancakes but different than pancakes. Served with powdersugar and butter they are a real treat in Holland so we were pleasantly surprised to see this man coming during our long walking tour around the villages!

But what happened. The local kids gathered around the man - who began making poffertjes on the back of his bicycle - and almost started a fight about who's first haha, we got no single change to order!

One year away from home, the sweet smell of poffertjes and not possible to obtain any! Well...that's part of harsh travelers life, I guess.

Traditional Villages & Voluntary Guides part 2

by Bonobo2005 Updated Jul 15, 2003

Sinabung Crater, us with professional guide

Fondest memory: I hooked up with some other travellers to climb Mt. Sinabung. We had called a local teacher, who - according to an advertisement - offered free guideservice in exchange of patiently practising English.

One hour late, two 14 year old little boyish schoolkids finally showed up who had never been on the mountain before. Dressed in their best outfits and terribly scared for gangs of local Medan youth, who apparently visit this area in the weekends.

Instead of having a guide, we had to guide THEM, and of course not to the very demanding Mt. Sinabung summit. Moreover there was no time enough anymore anyway!

We had decide to postpone the climb to next day. Instead we took them for a 4 hour walk to visit the villages of Gurusinga and Lingga, to return by bemo back to Berastagi.

Well, It was a nice day after all!

• Mountain Climbing

Traditional Villages & Voluntary Guides part 1

by Bonobo2005 Updated Jul 15, 2003

kids in front of their home

Fondest memory: We did 2 nice daytrips to visit some villages in the countryside around Berastagi.

Only the first was intended however!
    Two local girls, that I met near the hot springs at the foot of Mt. Sibayak the day before, voluntarily guided me to Kabanjahe market, Dolok village and the spectacular viewpoint called Gundaling Hill.

These girls were truly amazing and helpful, although they hadn't been to Dolok Village before and were actually as shy as I was when there...

In the end the Dolok Village was the least pleasant experience of the day. The introduction to local food and the fun we had were much more memorable!

Hello Mister...

Hello mister!

Fondest memory: In and around Berastagi every single kid say "Hello Mister", "Thank You", "Bye Bye", you hear it almost everywhere you walk.

After a while it can become a little bit annoying, but try not to forget to smile and/or say something back.

I'm sure you will enjoy the happy faces!

• Bonobo2005's Profile Photo

The colourful markets in and around Berastagi!

by Bonobo2005 Written Jul 8, 2003

living teletubbies

Favorite thing: The markets in and around Berastagi are colourful, busy and rich. All kinds of delicious fruits are available in really unbelievable numbers.

These markets are also THE place to have lunch or one of these typically Indonesian snacks like martabak manis, pisang goreng or es campur.

Of course you'll find odd things as well: on the picture you see living Teletubbies, or painted chicks with a life expectation of only 5 days. Very popular amongst schoolkids...

If you're fond of markets, visit the one in Kabanjahe as well, which is the regional centre of the Karo.
    Beware of buying meatdishes if you don't like dogmeat, though!

Instant Answers: Berastagi

Comments

Berastagi Favorites

Reviews and photos of Berastagi favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Berastagi sightseeing.