Danau Toba Things to Do

Horas ..Welcome to Tomok
    The water in Danau Toba so clear
    by AngMimi
    More ferries parking at the jetty

Most Recent Things to Do in Danau Toba

• egonwegh's Profile Photo

Stone Chairs of Ambarita (2)

by egonwegh Updated Apr 12, 2013

Stone Chairs, Ambarita, Lake Toba

The central stone goes by the name of 'The King's Dining Table' or 'The Dining Table of the Cannibal King' or some other fanciful name. Even though most travel guidebooks mention the stone and its alledged purpose (which should be clear from the name alone...), local villagers may still insist on recapping the entire story.

Rumah Adat - Batak Traditional Houses

by AngMimi Updated Sep 14, 2012

I think the Rumah Adat - Batak Traditional Houses are the most beautiful houses I have ever seen. I wish the house owner could invite me in to have tea and scone :-)) I would love to see what inside the beautiful built house in stilt. I took picture 5, to let you see what inside the house. Picture 4, is where they keep the rear animals like pigs, goat or a prisoner!!!

To see more pictures - http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/c194e/

Please read more on Batak traditional houses, very interesting

Churches and Graveyards

by AngMimi Updated Jul 26, 2012

Almost all Bataks are Christian, so you can also see a lot of churches and christian cemeteries along the road to Parapat. All there are small and bigger churches and graves in small and grand tombstones. I seem to lost a lot of pictures when my pc in ICU, so I just can show just three churches and 1 graves pictures..:-(((

Beautiful Sceneries of Danau Toba

by AngMimi Written Jul 26, 2012

I just spent an hour in Samosir Island, anyway, I will come back again in June 2013 and intend to spend at least 3 days in Danau Toba. So, I'm saying bye-bye to Danau Toba and Samosir Island. I took a few pictures of the Beautiful Samosir island in Danau Toba. Enjoyed the sceneries

• AngMimi's Profile Photo

Things to do in Tomok - Shopping!!

by AngMimi Written Jul 26, 2012

There are many shops here and many things to buy, like lake toba t-shirts, dresses, wood cravings, batik sarong, shoes and Danau toba souvenirs. I, very well telling myself to buy ulos (selendang/shawl) but I totally forgot.. hmmm...Anyway, I bought a Batak house Fridge magnet and a Batak traditional calender craved on bamboo.

You need to bargain a lot, aahh.. I don't really like shopping but if I come to Samosir Island again, I will make sure I buy the ULOS!!

What is ulos? See here, the shawl on Sigale-gale...Damn, I dont know how to link it..:-)) sorry

Carve Serpents, Lizard, Big Breast and Scary Faces

by AngMimi Updated Jul 26, 2012

You can see a lot of ornaments put outside wall of Batak Houses, they are meant to chase away evil influences. Like in Picture 1 and 2. And they used natural colors like red clay for red color, charcoal for black and writing chalk for white, they represent the three spheres of the cosmos - the human world, the world of good spirits and the underworld.

Serpents, Lizard and pointy breasts, picture 3 & 4 - they are the symbols of life, death and fertility. All this ornaments you can see on the pillar of the houses, infact everywhere on the houses.

Picture 5 - hmmm...security guard ;-)))

Circle of Statues

by AngMimi Written Jul 26, 2012

Beside the Tomb of King Sidabutar, you can see a circle of statues craved from stone. These statues are doing the traditional ritual asking for rain.. The Batak people still doing this ritual but is forbidden to visitors and tourists to see it. Hmmm...I wonder what???

Si Gale-Gale

by AngMimi Written Jul 24, 2012

Sigale Gale is a wooden puppet that can dance with the arms, head and body moving, another interesting feature to see in Tomok, Samosir Island. At certain time, there is a show to see Sigale Gale dance, please donate some fees if you want to see the show or take pictures with Sigale Gale.

There's a legend of Sigale Gale, to cut the story short - There was this king who had a son, the only son, his name Manggale. One day, the king ordered his son to fight in a war and the son died in the end. The king was so sad, remembering his died son and later he become sick in health, the advisor of the king call a healer to give medicine but the healer knows the king missed his son, so the healer told the advisor to carve a wood puppet that have the same face like Manggale, well, the King got better and healthy again after seeing the puppet resemble his son.

Sigale Gale also represent families who don't have male heir during someone's funeral.

Please see how the Sigale Gale's dance.
    ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46cvTkZuSx8&feature=related

Tomb of King Sidabutar

by AngMimi Written Jul 24, 2012

King Sidabutar and Anteng Malela :-)))

Once you reached Tomok in Samosir Island, take a right turn and there is a little uphill and a shortcut to the Tomb of King Sidabutar. Its a sunday and a holiday, so be expected to see a lot of people, locals and tourists like us. It was fun to see all kind of faces and all kinds of posing to the camera. Well, I don't have much time to wait, so I have to take pictures with this beautiful lady posing with the tomb.

Have you heard the legend that King Sidabutar was the first man to set his foot on Samosir Island, and all his descendants stayed in this area known as Tomok. Tomok in Malay language is FAT, hmmm...don't see any fat people around except me. :-))) A bit of nonsense again.

As you can see the tombs are carved out from stone, over hundreds of years ago, the King Sidabatur and the rest of the Kings not buried in the ground but inside the tomb, hmmm..I wonder if their body still inside the tomb???

Anteng Malela is a beautiful lady which one of the kings falled in love, but Anteng Malela didnt love him. The King got angry and ashamed from his people. He used black magic called 'Dorma Sijunde' on Anteng Malela, and she got crazy and later disappeared in deeo forest. What a sad story :-((

Please read more interesting stories of the Kings of Batak.

Samosir Island

by AngMimi Updated Jul 19, 2012

A monument

Samosir Island is the home of Batak people. The Island is in the middle of Danau Toba (Lake Toba) Can you believe the lake is the size of Singapore and with an island Samosir Island , in the middle and is the largest and deepest crater lake in world.906 meter above sea level, a water surface area of 1,265 square km, 90 km long with a coastline of 285 km, and with an average depth of 450 meters. I read somewhere, there are people dived in to check the depth of the lake and too bad, they didn't come up..Hmm..must be eaten by some sea monsters :-)))

You can find many small villages around the Samosir Island, those famous once should be Tomok, Tuk Tuk and Ambarita. Our ferry stop us at Tomok, time to visit Samosir Island.

Picture 1 - A monument to greet you in Tomok
    Picture 2 - Greetings - Horas, Selamat Datang ke Tomok.
    Picture 3 - See the lake water so clear and with a lot of fishes.
    Picture 4 - More ferries at the dock.

Batu Gantung in Danau Toba

by AngMimi Written Jul 18, 2012

The ferry will take you to see the Hanging Stone (Batu Gantung) Legend I written in the intro. I didn't catch up what everyone was looking, I thought the cliff got the shape of dog head, I have to go thru my pictures in Camera to find out, oh.. its the hanging stone with the shape of a woman hanging on the cliff.

Picture 2, see the circle, that the hanging stone.

While the boat moved slowly around that part of lake, you can see a group of children, some swimming and some in the special boat, craved from a tree trunk (I think so).. well, those kids will ask you to throw some coins into the lake and they will dive in, to get the coins in the lake, I don't know how deep but they managed to get the coins. Clever boys but be careful not to drown inside the lake.

Ferry to Tomok, Samosir Island 2

by AngMimi Written Jul 18, 2012

The singing boy

The trip from Parapat to Tomok is approx 40 minutes. Our boat had quite a lot of Muslim local tourists, both young and old. It was fun mixing with them, exchanging smile and start sharing their roasted peanuts. There is an old lady selling roasted and steamed peanuts and a boy started singing old indonesian songs to entertain everyone in the boat, I can still remembered the old songs I used to learn in school. After so much of singing, he will come with a small plastic bag, if you like singing then give him some money which I did. :-))

Two of my favourite Indonesian songs

Ayam Den Lapeh

Jali-Jali in Keroncong

Did you notice on the roof of the boat, the life-jackets, i wonder if it is can be used.

Medan to Parapat

by AngMimi Updated Jul 18, 2012

The road from Medan to Parapat was narrow and with so much cars, lorries, buses on the road, you could pee in the pant and applied imaginary brake to the car especially when the buses overcut and drives in very dangerous manner..

Before reaching Parapat, I loved to see the trees along the road, so beautiful. Its a forest reserved named Sibaganding Protected Forest or Hutan Sibaganding in Bahasa Indonesia. Oh yes, I saw a lot of red butt monkeys, a few soldiers statues and accident cars displayed on road side to remind people to drive carefully..

Anyway, I enjoyed the sceneries all the way from Medan to Parapat.

Ferry to Tomok, Samosir Island 1

by AngMimi Written Jul 17, 2012

Waiting for us?

I do not know, the name for this harbour / jetty. Its not Tiga Rajas or Ajibata. I really have no idea, if only someone can point it out for me. Anyway, the ferry keep on taking passengers even though there are no more sittings. I can't even sit properly with 4 persons sharing a metal bench. I paid 15,000 rupiah for thru and fro trip to Tomok.

Picnic and swimming

by AngMimi Written Jul 17, 2012

What a wonderful place to picnic and swimming in the world largest volcanic lake in the world. Its Easter Sunday in Indonesia, so many people came here to relax, singing in groups, eating with friends and family, swimming and playing around with black rubber duck.

Actually, we are on our way to sit a ferry to Tomok in Samosir Island. I can only see local faces and not only foreigner except me and tracy with Chinese face. haha..

Instant Answers: Danau Toba

Comments

Danau Toba Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Danau Toba things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Danau Toba sightseeing.