Medan Things to Do

by jorgejuansanchez

Most Recent Things to Do in Medan

Batak marriage

by jorgejuansanchez Written Jun 19, 2014

In my way to Gunung Leuser National Park to watch orangutrans, I made a stop in Binjai village when I saw a marriage by the road.
    I was treated very well by the partcipants, including the couple. Their vestments were fantastic!
    The ceremony took long and then they had a banquet. I could not stay very long, so finally I wished the couple happiness and left to watch the orangutans.

Octogonal mosque

unusual mosque

It is located in downtown, in front of the Palace.
    It is konown as Masjid Raya Medan and Masjid Raya Al Mashun.
    It dates from the beginning of the XX century and its style is mixed with Middle East and Spain reminiscences. The archetect was Dutch.

Amazing Catholic Church looking a Hindu temple

I loved it!

Graha Maria Annai Velangkanni (Our Lady of Good Health), is a Catholic church looking like a Hindu temple. The priest is a man from India, from the south, so it built it in south Indian style.
    It is new, it dates from 2005.
    I had the opportunity to talk with the prist and he showed me around.

Coffee galore!

by missmarianne Written Sep 10, 2011

You people must know that.... in Medan, you can have a better than starbucks cup of coffee for less than a dollar. Yearp, 'heard me right.

When I was there, I thought life was all about coffee and.. I have reached my maximum acid level and voila! I was rushed to the hospital due to excessive ( I meant "abusive") intake of the latter.

• missmarianne's Profile Photo

Speak the universal language, FRIENDSHIP.

my sister Ecca and I ^^

In opposition to what I have heard and experienced, I think Indonesians are as friendly as the rest of the asians are. They just get easily intimidated when you speak to them in English knowing that it is not so welcomed and used in the place regularly.. so they have not exercised the potential ability.

They are very cultural (which I admire the most) but not so open in adapting the global perspectives. They easily judge "strangers" just like what they do to each other (when one makes a "noise").

Apparently, it is the mutual trust that works, not one way.

They take pride of being your friend and you will feel the same. Once you are friends (*in genuine context) with them, you will be like a family.

• missmarianne's Profile Photo

Chillax with flavourful smoothies!

fresh fruit shakes!

Their preparation of fruit shakes is very simple yet I wonder how it comes out great in my taste bud. They just use natural products, no powdered flavour etc. You get what you order, if it is avocado shake, then you see and taste pure avocado, comme ca!

Batik shOpping

me in the market I couldn't remember LOL

Medan is a city surrounded with Batik shops for locals themselves. You can practically get them cheaper in the markets as they are not priced for tourists.

Indonesians say that original batik came from them ( and it is one of their national symbols) and the ones from Malaysia aren't as good the ones they produce..

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

Bank Indonesia Building

by SLLiew Updated Apr 4, 2011

Next to City Hall (Balai Kota) is another impressive Dutch Colonial building - housing the Bank Indonesia.

Both buildings next to each other opposite the Merdeka Square resembles the colonial City Hall and Town Hall opposite the Esplanade in George Town (Peanng). The difference is Medan was administered by the Dutch while Penang was administered by the English.

The Bank Indonesia was enacted in 1999 as an independent central bank.

There are many other different bank buildings located around the Merdeka Square.

• Motor bike ride, Samosir Island

by aj01kok Updated Aug 19, 2010

motor bike rental is rp80,000. we stayed at Ambarita, so it was only a short ride to the stone chairs which is behind the post office. from there, we rode through Tuk Tuk town. Lots of places to eat and shop here. Tomok was a little further, very much further actually. Can't remember how long it took, felt like almost an hour. My legs ached from having to ride pillon, sitting straddle on the bike, for the entire ride, from Ambarita to the Batak Museum in Tomok. The show there starts at 10.30am. we arrived there late, at 11am. wanted to wait for the next show at 11.45am but were told that if they didn't have enough visitors, that show would be canceled. entrance fee is rp30,000. since we had only 15 minutes of the show left to watch, they charged us only rp30,000 for two.

• Citytour

by bergkonijn Written Jun 10, 2010

To see the highlights of Dutch architecture in Medan we have made a heritage tour with Trijaya Tour& Travel. Mr. Dirk Buiskool, a dutch historian, and owner of the Hotel Deli River Hotel (an oasis in busy Medan) has written a a good guide with photos of all the places you have to visit.
    Trijaya Tour&Travel runs also other trips in Sumatra (orang oetangs, Toba Lake etc.)
    Me and my wife enjoyed the heritage tour very much in may 2010.

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Hiking and Walking

• venoth's Profile Photo

Maimoen Palace Medan

by venoth Written Jan 25, 2010
    Maimoen Palace Medan

This is a historical palace which had housed the local Sultanate till early this century. Generally, they do not charge an entrance fees but it is good to give a tip of at least RPH 10,000 . It is located right in the heart of the city.

Sri Mariaman Temple - a Hindu temple

by globetrott Updated May 19, 2009

Sri Mariaman Temple is the biggest Hindu temple in Medan and obviously it is not considdered to be a tourist-sight, because you have to persuade the local guides to make a short stop there and see the lovely details of this great temple. Take some time, 10 minutes might be enough to see also the interior - see my next tip !

the interior of the Hindu-temple

by globetrott Updated May 18, 2009

Dont miss to take a look inside of the hindu-temple. You have to take off your shoes and will be always welcome by the attendants of the temple, who seem to spend their whole day there drinking tea and chatting. We had a lot of fun there with these people, even when they almost did not speak and good english...

• Religious Travel

• globetrott's Profile Photo

a traditional house next to Maimoon palace

by globetrott Updated May 18, 2009

It is a pity that I did not find any informations about this interesting building in the traditional style, that was obviously recently built next to the Maimoon palace of the former Sultans of Belan. You can go inside, but will not see anything special (take a look at my last pic) , the most beautiful part of that house is certainly the facades with great ornaments.

• Castles and Palaces

The Art-Nouveau Postoffice of medan

by globetrott Updated May 18, 2009

The colonial postoffice of Medan is a sight by itself and it is really a pity that we only passed by it in our minibus but at least I could take some photographs so you will get an idea of its great architecture dating back to the year 1911 and in style it is late Art Nouveau and nice to look at.

Instant Answers: Medan

Comments

Medan Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Medan things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Medan sightseeing.