Pulau Menjangan Travel Guide

Pool
    by Restless-in-kl

Pulau Menjangan Things to Do

by Restless-in-kl Updated Oct 15, 2006

Being a tropical gal that I am, I was a little skeptical when I was told that the waters at Secret Bay would be really cold. After all, this is still in Bali, isn't it? So how cold can it get???

Well, freaking cold is what I call it!!! Looking at the calm mirror like surface from the beach, you won't have guessed. I mean, it has a black sandy bottom as well as just 30 feet deep, so why doesn't it retain the heat from the sun? Apparently, the cold currents from the south comes into this little bay and chill the waters till 22 degrees Celsius!

The advantage though is that this is such an easy dive. No waves, no surge, no currents and absolutely clear waters. The dive site is better set up with proper rinsing tanks, showers and places to dry our gear. Best time to dive here is early in the morning as visibility drops in the afternoon. To see who lives in these cold waters, go to Secret Bay travelogue.

My dive buddy who is used to diving in temperate waters became the Man from Atlantis. His breathing slowed down so much that he can stay down for 2 hours! Me? I was up in 45 min. Hyperventilating is what I called my breathing. Way too cold even with full wetsuit, extra shortie and mask. Heck! My teeth was chattering so much that I had to hold my reg with one hand. Could take any pictures after that.

Calm cold waters of Secret Bay

by Restless-in-kl Updated Oct 15, 2006

Puri Jati is a dive site located at the small town of Seririt, about 40min from Mimpi Resort Menjangan, on the way to Lovina. It does not look like much of a dive site as it's next to a village facing black beach and dark blue waters.

Whole different story when you get underwater. It's all shore dives here as most dive sites are close to the beach and at a depth of 30-40 feet.

The most fascinating creatures here are the octopus and they range from the smallest to medium sized. They are not hard to find as they tend to hide in any old shells, bottles, pipes and beneath rocks.

For dive shots of the marine life here, go to Puri Jati travelogue.

Night dives here are great too. But watch out for the surge and check visibility. A lot of dive things have gone missing if you don't hold on tightly. I almost lost my fin but thankfully found it. The villagers here are very helpful with your equipment and they can even charge your camera/torch batteries for a small fee. Water here is not as cold as Secret Bay.

Octopus

• Pulau Menjangan Hotels

0 Hotels in Pulau Menjangan

Pulau Menjangan Restaurants

by Restless-in-kl Written Oct 15, 2006

Taman Selini was one of the small resort that I was considering to stay. After a couple of days of mediocre food at Mimpi Resort Menjangan, we decided to try out Taman Selini restaurant for dinner.

To our surprise, we discovered that the restaurant serves Greek food and they have a resident Greek chef!

The food was wonderful here, service was friendly and efficient and the ambience was cosy. After dinner, we shifted to the bar area where big comfy cushions and platform beds await us by the beach. Check out the hot B-52 shooter that I had :-)

We would definitely come here and stay the next time! The beach bungalows here are beautiful and spacious. During the low season, it's going for US$70

Favorite Dish: Our favourite dish is the hummus with warm bread. It was simply excellent.

Greek dinner B-52 shooter

by Restless-in-kl Written Oct 15, 2006

Just 5 min from Puri Jati, Seririt dive site, is Zen Resort. We needed to pass it everyday to get to the dive site.

On the 1st day, decided to have lunch after 1st dive. Bad mistake! Lunch took more than 2 hours and we only ordered fried rice (nasi goreng) and fried noodles (mie goreng).

That was the first and last time! The only saving grace is that there is a nice view to appreciate whilst waiting.

This is also a boutique hotel that's reasonably priced and focus on yoga/well-being lifestyle.

Zen resort pool

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Pulau Menjangan? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Pulau Menjangan Warnings and Dangers

by Restless-in-kl Written Oct 15, 2006

If you driving around Pemuteran, be careful and look out for these mad motorcyclists. They can suddenly shoot out from a small road and right into your lane without warning. At night, it gets worse as some don't bother to have their lights on.

If you're passing them or see them at insections, just honk loudly to get their attention so that they will stay out of your way.

Instant Answers: Pulau Menjangan

Comments

Pulau Menjangan Travel Guide
Map of Pulau Menjangan