Places to eat in Indonesia

by Jeanling
    by Jeanling

Most Viewed Restaurants in Indonesia

• tere1's Profile Photo

Kalang Anyar Restaurant: Best seafood!

by tere1 Written Jul 25, 2006

This is the best restaurant for seafood in Jimbaran Bay! You choose the fish and seafood you want before you go to your table, on the beach. They than serve you the seafood with vegetables, potatoes and rice, followed by tropical fruits as dessert. The seafood is so inexpensive! I advise you to go at the end of the afternoon, so you can watch the sunset while you have dinner. The food is delicious and the view amazing!

Having dinner at Kalang Anyar
    • Luxury Travel

• Glorija's Profile Photo

Fish market: Dont miss some local refresment

by Glorija Written May 2, 2004

If you wanna try something tasteful from local perspective try Fish Market in Pangandaran.

Favorite Dish: Choose what you want to eat and the friendly staff who ussualy dont speak no english make it for you immediately. With smiles on their faces. And unless you really dont have a strange taste try not to order their ice tea. Very ... not European taste!

Fish Market

• Glorija's Profile Photo

The best restaurant ever!

by Glorija Written May 2, 2004

If you want to experience fabulous and very tasty dinner you must try the restaurant in the center of Senggigi.
    While you eat a group of four people sing to you and play on a guitar. Must say - very romantic.

Favorite Dish: On the picture!

Dinner

• Onedragon's Profile Photo

CAFE BATAVIA: CAFE BATAVIA

by Onedragon Updated Mar 17, 2007

A POPULAR PLACE FOR PARTIES AND IT SEEMS THAT A LOT OF FAMOUS PEOPLE HAVE VISITED THIS CAFE BY THE LOOKS OF ALL THE PICTURES TAKEN OF THEM THAT HAVE PASSED THROUGH THIS CAFE THAT STILL REMAIN HANGING ON THE WALLS.
    A REMODELED 19TH CENTURY BUILDING TO LOOK AND BE HOME TO ONE OF THE MOST POPULAR PLACES TO BUY ICE CREAM AND BE HOME TO MANY PARTIES!!!!

Favorite Dish: I SHOULD HAVE TRIED THE ICE CREAM !!!!!!!!!!! : (

Good food in Bali

by lindyz Updated Jun 1, 2009

Once again, I can only tell you where we ate, I do NOT know if these Restaurants are still there or not.

La Lucciola - luxury restaurant right on the beach in Seminyak. This was a bit of a splurge compared to most Balinese retaurants, but well worth it. Cost was $21AUD each. Make sure you book a table early and be there for sunset, it is pure magic.

Poco Loco - a Mexican Restaurant in the back laneway Jl. Padma near the Melasti. Good value and good food. Meal and drinks for $8AUD.

Poppies - in Poppies Gang 1, this place was an oasis after a hard days shopping. Very very cheap about $10AUD meal and drinks.

La Porchetta - Italian Restaurant on Jl. Legian. Excellent italian/seafood about $12AUD meal and drinks.

La Terraza - another Italian Restaurant on Jl. Legain - probably the best meal we had in Bali only about $10AUD meal and drinks.

Puri Aggeng- small Indonesian restaurant in back street near Melasti. HUGE bowl of Nasi Goreng or Mia Goreng with drinks for ONLY $4AUD!!!

We also did the seafood at Jimbarin Bay on the beach. Setting was lovely but I would say not really worth it. Meal and drinks about $25AUD.

In the 8 days we were in Bali, our total food bill including drinks came to a grand total of $127!!! If you are on a budget, you can easily get away with $10AUD a day food and drinks, that is if your Hotel has breakfast included, which most of them do these days.

Sunset dinner at La Lucciola Daily breakfast at the Melasti Lunch at Poppies Either La Terraza or La Porchetta? My very fresh prawns on Jimbarin Bay

• Sharrie's Profile Photo

Sate Padang

by Sharrie Written Nov 9, 2002

Sate Padang (Padang is a region of Sumatra) is my most favorite street vendor food. I had this since I was a kid & remembered all those days where I looked forward to either the recess or the end of the school day where I'd rushed off to get my share of Sate Padang! It's one of the best known of Sumatra dishes & though Sate is typical of Indonesia dish, I only like Sate Padang. Sate is cooked on the spot as pictured. The common Sate is grilled with charcoal & then served with a spicy peanut sauce but Sate Padang has a different kind of sauce. I don't know what's in it & neither can I describe the taste. It's out of this world & my aunt used to comment my addiction & talked about "ganja" being one of the ingredients ;-) Different kind of meat can be ordered including the "Lidah" (cow's tongue); this is one of the best!

• Pierre_Rouss's Profile Photo

The barrack cafeteria: The Indonesian side of the...

by Pierre_Rouss Updated Oct 11, 2002

The Indonesian side of the barrack cafeteria.
    For breakfast, lunch and dinner, I was faced with the dilemna of eating either on the occidental side (cooked by an indonesian cook anyway) and the indonesian side with loads of choices.

Favorite Dish: For breakfast : telur goreng (fried eggs)
    For lunch : ayam goreng (sauted chicken with sauce), nasi putih (white rice)
    For dinner : kambing goreng (i am not sure if it was sheep or goat) and mi (noddles)
    With sambal lombok and sambal asli everywhere even for breakfast (hot sauces) and mangga (mango) and papaya with lime juice!!!
    Delicious.

• Pierre_Rouss's Profile Photo

with shrimp painted on the canvas walls.: 'No name' restaurant in Bontang

by Pierre_Rouss Updated Oct 11, 2002

This place was great!!! I went there twice with friends. The restaurant is really a ondulated tin roof, held together with 8-10 post, the walls are canvas from the ground to chest height with painting of shrimps, crab and fish (to hint that it's a seafood restaurant). Inside, 6 picnic tables, the cook hides behind plywood walls in a 6 by 6 kitchen with 4 feet wok for griling the food.
    No ustensiles, you eat with your right hand the pre-cutted food with bowl of rice.

Favorite Dish: kepiting (crab), ikan bakar (grilled fish), cumi goreng (prononced 'chew-me', guess why, for squid).
    More Info: Warning : this probably goes against just about every health advices you will get before you go : don`t eat seafood because of hepatitis, amibas, typhoid, etc...
    Sure taste great and remember my motto : in Rome, like the Roman.

Poppies: Oasis in the desert

by lindyz Written Jun 16, 2009

This place is an absolute haven after a hard mornings (or days!) shopping. It is close to the main shops in Kuta in Poppies Gang 1, a little side alley way. It is shady and cool with lots of plants and they give you an icy cold wet towel for the back of your neck! The food is cheap and delicious. We went here several times.

Chillin at Poppies

Poco Loco Mexican Restaurant: Cheap Mexican food

by lindyz Written Jun 1, 2009

I was originally reluctant to do tips on restaurants, not knowing if they were still in the same place and open, but I thought Id do it anyway.

Poco Loco was about a 2 minute walk from where we stayed at the Melasti Legian, so we ate here a few times. Food was very cheap, delicious and quick. A meal and drink back then in 2004 cost about $8AUD.

Dinner at Poco Loco

La Lucciola Restaurant: Luxury at Sunset

by lindyz Written Jun 1, 2009

This was our one little luxury meal, we were told it was a "must do" while in Bali, to book a table early and be there by about 5pm, then sit on the balcony watching the evening sun slowly setting while sipping cocktails and trying to decide what delicacies to order for dinner!!

I cant remember exactly what we ate, but I do remember it was delicious, but it more the ambience of watching the sunset that made it so special. This meal was our second most expensive while in Bali, costing about $21AUD each with food and drinks. The most expensive meal we ate was seafood at Jimbaran Bay, which I would not even really recommend.

Magnificent sunset over the ocean Waiting for sun to set on the balcony La Lucciola Restaurant from the beach Sun slowly setting Arrival early evening for cocktails!

• meiyergani's Profile Photo

Indonesian PADANG FOOD: A UniQue of Indonesian Cuisine

by meiyergani Updated May 8, 2007

To complete your trip to Indonesia, a culinary tour and traveling experiences one not to be missed is its welknown PADANG FOOD, a West Sumatran cuisine. In almost of Indonesian regions one can easily find a Padang Food Restaurants which also popular amongst Indonesian. In the Restaurant, they serve so many plates of food on the table beside a glass of tea and a plate of rice, you can choice which one is your favorite, fried chickens, fried sliced beef, cuttle fish, soup, shrimps, boiled cassava leaf, chickens/beefs or fish with coconut milk sauce, a barbeque etc.It was good to know that they not counting all the plates on the table, so they only count what You Eat, if there are two pieces of fishes on a plate, then if you only eat one, so you just pay for one fish

Favorite Dish: They prepare various kinds of dish on the table, one can try its delicious a head parts of a big red carps in a coconut milk sauce, a cuttle fish with the same sauce of the red carps, a platefull of a fried shrimps with sambal (red hot chilli), beef soup with vegetables (cabbage, slices of carrot, potatoes), the others are Sate Padang (a barbeQue in padang style), a skin cattle crackers, a fried eel etc. Padang foods is welknown with its hot food, please do a choice for a not hot one if you didn't like a hot chili food.

Onozato, Hiromi&Erika from Hokkaido, Japan Dishes in a Padang Food Restaurant
    • Seniors

Restaurants scattered all along the sand: Freshest of seafood on Jimbarin Bay

by lindyz Written Jun 16, 2009

I dont exactly know which restaurant we ate at - our guide Ketut just picked us up and took us there! The seafood is extremely fresh - that is because you go in an look at it swimming around, your order it and then they cook it!!! Cant get much fresher than that! This was our most expensive meal in Bali, about $25 each I think, but compared to Australian prices, that is still dirt cheap.

This is however a lovely experience - you actually sit on the sand - all the tables and chairs are on the beach.

Me and my prawns! Tracy and I on Jimbarin Bay Live music while you eat

LPC Porchetta: Delicious Italian Seafood Restaurant

by lindyz Written Jun 1, 2009

We ate here only once near the end of our stay, and it was the best meal we ate in Bali, and also the best value. I remember they were quite surprised at the amount of the tip I gave them! Meal with a drink was slightly more expensive than most, but still only about $12AUD at the time (2004). It would be slightly more now, mainly because of the australian dollar.

• lindyz's Profile Photo

Maccas in Kuta: Fast Food is always just around the corner!

by lindyz Written Jun 16, 2009

Of course, there has to be at least one Maccas in probably nearly every major city in the world! I guess they are there mainly to cater for the kids who are fussy eaters, but sometimes nothing goes down better than some Maccas fries! We only went to the Maccas near the Matahari Dept. Store once to eat, and several times to use their toilet! We didnt eat at the Kuta Beach Maccas, but Tracy was keen for a surf with Ronald!!!

Surfin with Ronald!

57 Reviews - 147 Photos
Bandung Hotels
229 Reviews - 540 Photos

Instant Answers: Indonesia

Comments

Indonesia Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Indonesia restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Indonesia sightseeing.
Map of Indonesia