Pulau Batam Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Pulau Batam

• hscoolfire's Profile Photo

Golden Prawn 555: Don't miss the Fresh Seafood

by hscoolfire Written Feb 12, 2013

The place is about 20-30mins away from Batam Centre by taxi. It is very famous, there are two stores near each other, Golden Prawn 555 and Golden Prawn 933, both are very famous for their seafood. We chose 555 because of the recommendation by the blogs of a taiwanese couple. You could see many locals there. Just ask the staff member to catch the live prawn, fish, lobster, crab or shell for you. The price is based on per 100gram. they have weight balance near the fish tank, make sure you don't over order. The staff member will check with you on the cooking methods afterwards. We tried steam fish, butter garlic prawn, salted egg crab, black pepper crab and BBQ shell. They serve the dishes very fast, only took 10-15mins to get us most of the dishes. The best is the butter garlic prawn, best prawn dish I ever tasted. it is very crispy and the meat is very juicy and fresh. We ordered second round for that. The BBQ shell is also quite good, the shell meat is very fresh, just nice with the BBQ sauce. You cannot miss the crabs, the shell is not thick at all, and you could chew those as well, different from most of the sea crabs. The fish is over-cooked and it took quite long to come, after we finish all the rest of the dishes. We also ordered beer and vergetables, there are singing performance, however, I am not certain if this is because of the Chinese New year celebration. The restaurants are beside a lake, lighting is not very good if you stay outdoors. The dish they serve me at first is not clean, take care of that.

Favorite Dish: Butter Garlic Prawn

Golden Prawn Seafood Restaurant: Kampong-Styled Seafood Restaurant

by Aidy_p Updated Sep 10, 2011

This restaurant is a mainstay for tourist groups. Once they arrive at the restaurant, they will be funnelled into a souvenir and dried food shop. Though prices here are relatively higher than those around Batam, it is still a wothwhile stop to stock up, especially for those who are in Batam for only one day and may not have the chance to visit anywhere else in their itinerary.

The restaurant was relatively large in terms of floor area with many plastic chairs and tables.

The ambience was rather "kampong" style with Teresa Teng's music blaring off the speakers. I believe they offer a chance for tourists who want to try out their hands in fishing too.

Favorite Dish: We gobbled up everything that was laid on the table. Erm, nearly everything. We just could not finish the plate of "gong gong" or shell fish. Not our "cup of tea".

Here're The Gong Gongs Colleagues & I Having a Feast Good Spread of Food

Arirang Restaurant: Annyeong - Final Meal

by Aidy_p Written Sep 9, 2011

Where can you find a mixture of Korean and Japanese? Well, at this restaurant you can have a blend of kimchi and sushi.

We were too lazy to walk out of the resort and thus, chose something on offer within the confines of the resort. When we walked into the restaurant, I thought I'd just stepped into North Korea. I've seen pictures of their restaurant - people-less! That was the scene at that time.

The waitresses were just milling around, waiting for us to order our food. The quality of it is not that bad but seemningly, any meals that we have in the resort, we will need to be ready to pay a bomb.

Favorite Dish: Before our main meal, the korean custom is to provide us with small dishes of starters. Afterwhich, I had tempura soba. Definitely delicious though it would have been better if the price was right.

Lovely Menu Six Dishes For Our Starters Yummy Soba Tempura

Monkey Beach Hut: One Of The Better Meals

by Aidy_p Written Sep 9, 2011

My father is an extremely sociable man. He was out and about one morning and from that early morning walk, he managed to meet the owners of Monkey Beach Hut. The pub was located just a stone throw away from Harris Resort.

The male owner is a Singaporean who have stayed in Batam for more than 15 years while his wife is a Japanese.

The Singaporean also does ship repair and thus his pub is just next to the jetty. At the pub, has a pool table that he allowed us to play for free! Actually, we did not asked if we need to pay in the first place. Oops! After a round of pool, we sat down for dinner.

Favorite Dish: The fried rice I ordered was pretty find. The pub has a small kitchen that was run by the owner's wife. I checked with the rest of my family members and they too were satisfied with their fare.

Looking At The Menu Fried Rice For Me

• Aidy_p's Profile Photo

Raja Kopi: This Biggest Mistake!

by Aidy_p Written Sep 9, 2011

Lunch time at Nagoya Hill Shopping Mall. There were many restaurants to choose from and we chose to visit Raja Kopi for two reasons - 1. They claimed to be serving Singaporean fare. 2. They decor was pretty decent.

I ordered the soto ayam and it was horrrrrrible!!! It was salty and if you think that what you see is what you get, forget it! For my son, he had fried bee hoon. I specifically reminded them to make sure that there was no chili.

But when my son tucked into the noodle, he exclaimed loudly, "Hot, hot!" I thought it was freshly fried, thus the complaint. But he was adamant it was spicy by sticking out his tongue and asking for water. I tasted it and wow! The spicyness of it nearly blew me away!

I was totally flabbagasted! How can they give us a wrong order? I approached them and their first line of defence was to say, "No chilli". They even asked the chef and he said he did not put any in.

C'mon! I'm a chilli eater and when I myself have issue with the amount of chilli added into the bee hoon, you think my son would not know? They did give me another plate of noodle but this time, it was super salty. I give up!

Favorite Dish: Never will I step in here again, EVER!

Barely Edible! The restaurant layout The photographs of food look palatable!

Delima Seafood: Dilemma at Delima

by Aidy_p Written Sep 9, 2011

Discovering what Batam has to offer. That was what my family and I had wanted to do. So we checked with the resort and they said that they nearest seafood place was about a 5-minute ride by taxi.

My main concern whenever I travel is whether the joruney there and the location itself are safe for my family. But the resort staff assured us that it was safe and that the taxis were located within the resort. Thus, they would know the drivers. Still, we were careful.

We arrived at the seafood place in all of 5 minutes. We scanned the place - looked quite dodgy but at least there was one family around. Safety in numbers I guess.

But if you were to ask me, I may not return to this restaurant as the place is not the most welcoming, and the food? Poorly presented though the plus points are that the food is reasonably priced and it tasted quite good too.

Suggest that one goes in the day rather than at night.

Favorite Dish: Their fried squid tasted lovely. The prawns are not too bad too.

Pronto Pizzeria: Tastiest Pizza In Batam

by Aidy_p Written Sep 9, 2011

Located in the heart of Harris Resort, this pizza place is really different from other pizza joints. Everything was self-made and I believe what makes everything taste so nice was that it was heated in a furnace that used wood to keep the fire burning.

The cost of the pizza is pretty reasonable from S$16 onwards.

Favorite Dish: I really love their meat pizzas. Their hawaiian was not too bad. The crispy crust tasted wonderful too.

Preparing Pizzas Slotting the Pizza Into the Oven Crusty Pizza

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Golden Prawn 933 Sea Food Restaurant: Largest Sea Food Restaurant in Batam (part 2)

Part two of my Golden Prawn Restaurant Tips with more pictures

the famous sea food restaurant complex in Batam is a two part tip since i need more pictures to show the food inside. I also ate here the last time I went here in 1999 but the view then was of the sea unlike today where there are reclaimed land around with more fish ponds. The Golden Prawn 933 and 555 Restaurants are actually owned by the same owner as the Golden View Hotel and he owns the Huge and sprawling Golden City Complex in Bengkong Laut midway between Nagoya and Batam City Center. bothe these Golden Prawn Restaurants are the largest Restaurants in all of Batam Island and are touted to be sea food Paradise. With prices here in Batam way cheaper than in nearby Singapore, These restaurants serve assorted sea food meals that are friendly on the budget and almost all day tours of Batam from Singapore has the sea food lunch in the Golden Prawn Restaurants included in the package. Inside the huge complex has a large souvenir shop and a Birds Nest Shop (see my separate tips for each) and they also have large fish tanks inside and the mini fishponds around the restaurant (the resto is built on stilts around the fish ponds and the local houses and restaurants built on stilts are called Kelongs) to house the various sea foods like fish or crabs or sea shells or lobster that you will order fresh and cooked them accordingly or included in a set meal like in our tour package.

opens daily from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm

Favorite Dish: This menu is served with a variety of ways to cook it: fried, baked, steamed, grilled etc.., also equipped with vegetables and chilli sauce, sambal sauce and soy sauce. what we had for lunch where fried calamari rings, drunken deep fried shrimps, the local specialty the Sea shell (gong gong-see my separate tips), the stir fried Groupa Fish, the fish ball soup, the singaporean chili crab and heapings of rice and what a meal it was! please see my pictures of the food.

a separate set sea food lunch per person when you are not part of a tour group will cost about 75,000 Indonesian Rupiah.

eating shrimps chili crab grouper order

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Golden Prawn 933 Sea Food Restaurant: Largest Seafood Restaurant in Batam (part 1)

opens daily from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm

outside inside soup gon gong sea shells calamari

Star Moon Cakes and Cookies: Local Cakes and Sweets

by machomikemd Updated May 28, 2011

The bakery, located in the Batam City Center is a favorite Tourist Stop for Day Tours to Batam and is located about 3 minutes away from the Batam City Center Ferry Terminal and they offer what else but the assorted Indonesian Cake Specialties called the kek lapis or the multi-layered sweet cakes and every region of indonesia has it's own special kek lapis and here in Batam they have a Special Kek Lapis Batam which they sell. they also sell assorted cookies and other kinds of cakes here at the Star Moon Cakes and Cookies. Almost all tour groups make a stop here before going to other areas.

Favorite Dish: they have assorted kek lapis from different indonesian regions and also local batam style kek lapis and they sell at between 170,000 to 220,000 Indonesian Rupiah for a small box and the variants are like Lapis Pandan or Lapis Original or Lapis Surabaya or Lapis Legit and more (why this expensive? since it is expensive to make a multi-layered cake which is labor intensive).

entrance inside cakes kek lapis buy

Do' Waroeng: Indonesian Food Stall

by machomikemd Updated May 28, 2011

one of the many food stalls in the Batam City Square Center Mall and the greatest concentration of the food stalls and food courts is in the fourth level and I find this restaurant interesting since they also offer traditional indonesian deserts like the Chendol and Ais Kacang and the local Batam Specialty of Apokat. They also serve assorted indonesian foods like the satay, the sup buntut or the ox tail soup, the gado gado, assorted sambal dishes, the beef rendang and a lot more and the prices here are cheap like the Apokat at 7,000 Indonesian Rupiah, the Chendol at 6,000 Indonesian Rupiah and the Ais Kacang at 8,000 Indonesian Rupiah. Sup Buntut costs 20,000 Indonesian Rupiah and the beef satay at 15,000 Indonesian Rupiah.

Favorite Dish: the ais kacang, the chendol and the apokat

the stall inside eat your apokat yum with keropok

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Food Courts and Hawker Centers in batam: Food Courts and Hawker Centers in batam

by machomikemd Updated May 28, 2011

Batam Has lots and lots of Food Courts, Hawker Centers and Restaurants serving local and International Cuisines and in every price range. The local Hawker Centers or Pujaseras. They offer great dining experience, with the smells of many different mouth-watering local dishes wafting through the air and these mouth watering foods are like the satay, Nasi padang, Gado Gado, Nasi Goreng, Soto Ayam, Keropok, Sambal Ikan, Fruit Rojak, Chendol, Apokat and lots more the best part of it is that most of the food courts are either open air or covered, so are cool and refreshing during the evenings. The prices here are also very cheap.

Favorite Dish: a lot like the Sambal Ikan, Nasi Goreng, Gado gado, Satay Ayam, Chendol, Ais Kacang and a lot more.

food court choices hawker stall more stalls more choices

Kentucky Fried Chicken: International Chicken Chain

by machomikemd Updated May 28, 2011

the local kentucky Fried Chicken Chain which is the favorite of my cousins since they have weak stomachs and cannot tolerate the spiciness of Indonesian food and the curries hehehe and while I was having a food trip along the food courts of the Batam City center Mall, they were eating good ole Colonel Sanders chicken specialties at the second level of the mall. Like in other Kentucky fried chicken outlers in the world, the local KFC chain here offers local specialties and the spicy chicken with sambal sauce is one of the mainstays here.

Address is: Batam City Square B-1/1, Baloi, Batam Island, Kepulauan Riau , Indonesia
    Tel No: +62 (778) 7435728

they also have several branches around Batam Island.

Favorite Dish: the spicy chicken with sambal sauce what else. the price of the regular 2 piece chicken meal here is 20,000 Indonesian Rupiah with drinks included and the Spicy chicken with sambal sauce at 22,000 Indonesian Rupiah and also with a drink included. they also have other things you could buy like the colonel burger meals and chicken nachos.

to KFC order wow my meal ok

Ariya Maitreya Vegetarian Restaurant: Buddhist Vegetarian Restaurant

by machomikemd Updated May 28, 2011

the local Buddhist vegetarian Restaurant of the Maha Vihara Duta Maitreya Temple. if you are a die hard vegetarian then this Restaurant is a place for you but if you just want to try vegetarian dishes, you might find the meals here not that tasty but definitely more healthy hehehe. They have lots and lots of vegetarian choices and off course the meals here are almost chinese vegetarian with a little indonesian mix included. Prices are on the cheap side at about 50,000 Indonesian Rupiah each for a set meal good for 10 people with about 8 courses of vegetarian delights and fried mantou bread.

Favorite Dish: assorted vegetarian meals but the deep fried mantou (or baozi) bread without filling takes the cake!

outside go inside friedn mantou (Baozi) breads curried vegetables vegetable spring rolls
    • Singles

• hassan_abu's Profile Photo

Mak Ateh Nasi Padang: What a Rip Off

by hassan_abu Written Nov 4, 2010

Surprisingly, this restaurant is popular with tourist. But we found this place a total rip off. Do not go here, even though recommended by travel agents, taxi drivers, hotel staffs, because these people get some kind of commission for bringing people here.

The whole table will be served with food. The logic being, you will be charged for only the food that you eat or touched.

But the prices is sky high. The rice alone is being charged per person (9,000 rupiah per head, regardless of children or adult). Normal price is about 3,000 rupiah.

Then the small potion of fried chicken cost 13,000 rupiah a piece. So, if you just eat a plate of rice and a small fried chicken, it will cost 22,000 rupiah. This is ridiculous, comparing to other reasonable restaurant, you could get a full meal with 2 main dish, vegetables and a side dish for the same amount.

Overall, we we charged closed to 600,000 rupiah for lunch for 8 adults and 3 children.

Amazing, considering our last night's seafood dinner with chilli crabs, prawns, cuttlefish and drinks costs us as much at the Harbourbay seafood restaurant.

Favorite Dish: nothing

Instant Answers: Pulau Batam

Comments

Pulau Batam Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Pulau Batam restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pulau Batam sightseeing.