Bali Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Bali

• jeaz's Profile Photo

Money Exchange

by jeaz Written Jul 17, 2011

Never ever exchange money with any of the currency exchange except the one in airport. They are not very honest. After they asked to confirm by counting the money, they asked to returned to them as the claim they want to recount. From there, they will take out some without your knowledge.

• lauchloe's Profile Photo

Roadside vendors

by lauchloe Updated Jul 16, 2010

We were there in mid-March. We were harassed by the roadside vendors or shopkeepers in most places, especially in Ubud. The tour guide was embarrassed too. I was not happy when my husband shouted in a rude manner to the souvenir vendor at the famous Rice Terrace in Ubud. But he had never done this. The kids were so frightened. We were happily enjoying the view, snapping picz, I was telling my kids about the paddy field, etc... The 3 or 4 vendors kept interrupting us, pushing the postcards, carving, wood cutlery, etc to our faces! The kid vendor kept begging, "Pls... very very cheap, see see..." We tried to ignore them, the moment we turned and walked to another corner, there they were, blocking us, pushing the stuff to us again! The whole 3 to 5 minutes! My husband lost his patience, bought a carving, shouted at one of them to ask them to leave us alone. You know what? The others kept coming to sell their stuff, my husband shouted at them again and got all of us into the car and left the place. It's such an ugly experience. When we went to Tirta-Empun, the Holy Spring, the lady vendors pulled me into their stores, one after another. I politely told them I wanted to have a good look first but they kept showing me the blouses, one after one. I then dared not walk near any stores all the way out to the car park. Kuta, not this bad. They were persistent, but would not block our way or pull our hands.

• Photography

• Hotel staff steal from your room

by nadeedee Written Mar 15, 2010

I spent a week in Bali and stayed at the Kusnadi Hotel in Kuta. I was warned to lock all my valuables in my suitcase (so bring a travel lock)! I failed to lock up my camera for a trip to the beach and when I returned to the room it had been swiped by the hotel staff.
    Also if you are touring with a driver do not let him plan your trip for you. If you do this you will spend the day driving to places you didn't want to go. My driver tried to add things to my trip. I let him add one place and it was a huge tourist trap. I put my foot down and gave him a list of places I wanted to go and had no interest in adding stops.
    When eating at a cafe sit towards the back...away from the street (bombing threat). I was told this by a seasoned tourist.
    If you are staying in Kuta also note should you have any medical emergency ask to be taken to the Australian hospital.

Take both American Dollars and Rupiah

by amyLbrown2002 Written Jan 2, 2007

We took only Rupiah - and when we went shopping around Ubud for paintings, woodcarvings and silver, were unable to purchase some of the things we wanted as we didn't have the US dollars.

They can convert it into Rupiah, and you can pay by that, but for the larger and more expensive items, it was just too much Rupiah.

No ATM in Candidasa

by amyLbrown2002 Written Jan 2, 2007

We went to Bali having been told by a few people and reading in the travel guide that there is an ATM in Candidasa.

Well, there used to be, but with the decline in tourism due to the beach eroding and the bombings it has been shut down. The closest ATM is in Amlapura.

Be Careful at ATMs

by amyLbrown2002 Written Dec 19, 2006

I can't remember what it's like in NZ, but in the UK, when you are at an ATM, it will give you your card back first, and then your money.

However, in Bali it is the other way around - money first, then card. So make sure you don't take your money and assume you have the card already! My boyfriend almost did this!

• deelighted's Profile Photo

Ghost in Kuta Beach, Bali

by deelighted Written Oct 19, 2005

This is a picture of my friend with ghost sillouette on it. We took lotsa pictures, but only this one picture captured the ghost. Please be polite in everything you say or do in Bali. its a sacred island

• Surfing
    • Beaches

Instant Answers: Bali

Comments

Bali Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Bali warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bali sightseeing.