Bima Favorites

Historical site at Kala Kuburun

Most Recent Favorites in Bima

• Daihappydai's Profile Photo

A children's game for the whole family

by Daihappydai Written Apr 15, 2013
    Taking aim with a handful of rubber bands

Fondest memory: One of my fondest Bima memories was when I went to see traditional cloth being made in Kampung Raba Dompu. In the swept-dirt yard of the house where the weaving was taking place, a large crowd of children and several adults were playing the simplest of games - throwing a mass of rubber bands from one side of the yard to the other and hoping one of the bundle would fall over one of the three nails in the ground. It was a version of quoits or hookey.
    Simple, but everyone was so intense as each child took their throw. Moans and cheers echoed through the yard. They offered me a turn and, as simple as it seemed, I certainly didn't have the skill that the young children did. But a lot of fun to join in.

A soaked football pitch

by Daihappydai Written Apr 13, 2013
    Football in Donggo on a soaked pitch

Fondest memory: While we were exploring the Donggo area, we were shown the way to a village in the hills, Kala Kuburan, where there was an important burial and meeting site in the bushes behind the village.
    When we arrived, the local children were playing football but they stopped their game to direct us to the site. In the meantime the rains came down - heavy rain, we were drenched in minutes. After being told the story of the site, which I didn't fully get as it was related to my guide in Bahasa Bima and he then tried to translate it into English, we went back to our bikes parked beside the football pitch. The children were already out playing again on the sodden pitch. Huge puddles of muddy water didn't deter them from their fun.

Friendly Teenagers

by Daihappydai Written Mar 8, 2013
    Young scouts in Bima

Fondest memory: One of the things that made my stay in Bima so memorable was how friendly the people were. On my first afternoon in Bima, I was wandering the grounds of the Old Palace. A large group of teenagers were there in their scout uniforms. Many approached me to find out where I was from and to practice their English. Soon, I was surrounded by teenagers wanting to have their photo taken with me.
    When they were leaving, the majority clambered into the back of a truck, with the youngest sitting on the roof, all wildly waving good bye.

• theo1006's Profile Photo

Call in at the Tourist Office

by theo1006 Updated Nov 24, 2011
    With mr Nurdin and wife dressed for the occasion

Favorite thing: When we arrive at an unexplored destination in Indonesia, we like to call in at the local Tourism Department Office. We always learn something worthwhile. Arriving in Bima on June 22nd we were informed that from July 3rd through July 6th the regency was going to celebrate its 371th anniversary. After some deliberation we decided to delay our crossing to Flores so as not to miss these.

Fondest memory: That is how we came to be the guests of honour at the anniversary festivities - the only foreigners attending. Haji Nurdin, the head of the Bima Tourism Department, arranged invitations for the official gatherings, had Helen dressed in Bima apparel, and met us in his own car when necessary.

Of course we had to fill in the days in between. Mr Nurdin went out of his way to bring us to several sites of interest or arranged for an employee of his office to accompany us. And of course gave pointers where to go by ourselves.

So we got to explore Bima pretty thoroughly. We toured the north route via Wera to Sape, doing Snake Island on the way; did a gruelling ride on motorbike to Baku beach south of Sape; did a south tour from Sape back to Bima via Langgudu and Rontu beach, staying a night over at the house of Langgudu's district head; and spent two days at surfing paradise Lakei, although we are no surfers.

Hence our advice: never omit to pay a visit to the Tourist Office of the destination where you happen to be.

Address: Dinas Kebudayaan dan Pariwisata Kabupaten Bima, Jalan Gajah Mada, Bima, NTB 84119.
    Directions: From the market go about 2 km east along Sultan Hasanuddin street, which changes name into Gajah Mada street.
    Website: http://www.bimakab.go.id/index.php?pilih=hal&id=26
    Office phone: +62.374.44331.
    Email: Dispar@bimaKab.go.id.
    Mobile phone Mr H. Nurdin S.H.: 0813 3956 6608.

• Festivals

Instant Answers: Bima

Comments

Bima Favorites

Reviews and photos of Bima favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bima sightseeing.