Lombok Warnings and Dangers

workers at the first craft village
    by DEBBBEDB
    Working on a chest
    by grandmaR
    Wood workers sitting on the floor
    by grandmaR

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Lombok

• Dangerous alcohol in indonesia! Caution!

by Novastar Written Jul 28, 2012

Beware of the alcohol in indonesia! Several people have died the last years in methanol- poisoning! DO NOT buy ANY COCKTAILS! And DO NOT buy ANY alcohol in store. They mix or make the alcohol be diluted with methanol. It is extremely DANGEROUS! BEWARE!
    Most deaths have been in Bali, Lombok and gili Island, especially gili trawangan!

• Diving and Snorkeling
    • Desert

• Mataram - scam at Water Palace and Pura Meru

by Sebastian62 Written Aug 6, 2011

We found little scam and cheating in Lombok and enjoyed our stay (3 weeks) very much. However at the Water Palace and the Pura Meru temple in Mataram there are people who are trying to extract 'donations' from you at the entrances demanding its a Hindu custom and its compulsory for entry. According to their 'guest book' (only containing names of foreigners) they must have some success... DON'T PAY, JUST ENTER THE PLACE!

• Architecture

• Yessy Cafe in Senggigi, Lombok - CHEATED ON BILLS

by surgasempurna Written Aug 22, 2012
    Cheating on the bills

This place left a VERY FOUL taste in my mouth. Please avoid it if you can.

CHEATED ON THE RECEIPT
    I've attached a picture of our receipt - they cheated on their receipt and we ended up paying double what we should have paid. Let me explain.
    There were 2 of us and we ordered Nasi Putih - white rice - which was Rp, 5,000 per portion. We ordered 2 so it should be Rp. 10,000 for white rice. In their receipt, they craftily added an extra "0", making it Rp. 100,000. I was in a hurry so didn't check the receipt and simply looked at the total. The total bill was Rp. 196,000 when it should have been half of that, just Rp. 96,000.
    It's not so much the amount of money - they got an additional $10 USD out of me, which is the equivalent of 2 Starbucks. Not a big amount of money. However, it's the principal that I am not happy with.

FOOD
    So - with their horrible business practice of cheating on their paying customers, was the food worth it? I ordered the specialty of Lombok - ayam taliwang - small country chicken cooked in their special sauce. It was all sauce and no chicken. I knew the chicken would be small considering it's a kampung chicken (i.e. chicken grown in the countryside, not mass-produced in a farm). Still, it was all sauce. The portions are tiny. It was nothing to write home about. We got pisang goreng for dessert and its presentation was hideous and tasted dry and unpleasant. It was hastily put together. I could get better pisang goreng from a warung down the street than at this "sit-down" place they call a "restaurant".

SERVICE
    Other than the fact that they cheated on their bill, the wait staff were friendly enough. Please beware, though. They acted friendly to distract you so you wouldn't look at the bill closely.

AMBIANCE
    Lots of foreign tourists. Comfortable seats and tables. Good music. Overall, good ambiance.

OVERALL
    The food was very mediocre. The service was friendly. The biggest issue, of course, is the fact that they tried to make a few bucks by cheating on their bills. Shame on me for being stupid and not double checking the receipt. Shame on them for poor business practices of cheating and lying to their guests. The wait staff are completely two-faced - smiling and acting friendly to us while cheating on the bills behind our backs. This is no way to run a long-lasting business. Please please be aware of this. AVOID THIS PLACE!!!

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

Wood Import Prohibited

by DEBBBEDB Written Nov 10, 2012
    workers at the first craft village

They told us that we could not import wood products into Australia. Since we were going to Australia before we were going home, we decided not to buy any of the wood products that were being made at the craft village.

• Cruise

• Authorised Money Changer Sengiggi Lombok

by Charbllavita Written Jul 3, 2013

The so called "authorised" money changer on Jl Raya Sengiggi (the Main Street on the same side as the"Happy Cafe") ripped us off almost 60AUD when getting money exchanged. Partly our fault for not questioning money changer at the time. It wasn't until we walked out of the store I realised we were down nearly 60AUD .. I counted my money on the sidewalk and went back in and he owned up and I was given the correct money. Beware when changing money make sure you have a calculator on hand to add up the exchange rate and how much you want changed because here they don't use a calculator in order to trick you!

• Singles

• molested while snorkerling

by aitravel Written Mar 26, 2005

Be careful to let any youngster to follow to gili air. I went on charthered boat with other travelers. A youngster who was hawkering at the harbour followed, claiming that the ws the boatman's relative. He brought us to rent snorkerling sets and led us to the sea, offering to show us the corals. When far away from the others, he took advantage on me. When I pushed him away, he continue to try. When I reported the case to the police at Sengigi town, they refused to help, saying that it is not their business!

• Diving and Snorkeling
    • Women's Travel

Instant Answers: Lombok

Comments

Lombok Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Lombok warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lombok sightseeing.