Senaru Things to Do

• River stone foundations of Masjid Kuno Bayan Beleq
    River stone foundations of Masjid Kuno...
  • One of the tombs at Masjid Kuno Bayan Beleq
    One of the tombs at Masjid Kuno Bayan...
    by Daihappydai
    Working on a traditional loom, Bayan

Most Recent Things to Do in Senaru

Heading Down - Rinjani 3

by Daihappydai Written Apr 8, 2014

After the spectacular sunrise views we started to make our way back down. The steep part from the crater rim Post 4 was probably more difficult going down than coming up - the loose scree made it quite slippery so a lot of care had to be taken with footing.
    While steep between Post 4 and Post 3, and again between Post 3 and Post 2, there was more time to admire the views and the beautiful forest - or perhaps I had more energy.
    We decided to go all the way through to Post 1.5 before stopping for lunch. Just before we arrived, the rains came. It was torrential. In no time the paths were ankle deep in water and the steep sections became fast flowing riverlets.
    Lunch provided a well needed rest, but it also meant the muscles cooled and it was difficult to get started again.
    The rain didn't stop, but it was a little lighter when we continued down - I was surprised that we passed a couple of fairly large groups going up. They weren't even half way and it seemed late in the day already.
    My legs were wobbly by the time we reached the Ranger's Office but I was so glad that this opportunity had come along. I'm not the fittest person so I felt it was some little achievement and the views from the morning will remain in my memory for a long, long time.
    If you ever get the chance, the Rinjani climb is well worth the effort. Perhaps the only disappointment was the amount of rubbish left at the top of the mountain - even the guides were embarrassed. Hopefully something can be done to ensure this amazing area stays in good condition.

Heading down from the crater lake to Post 4 Steep paths heading down Rinjani On the way down Rinjani Riverlets as the rain came down Happy at the end of our Rinjani trek

Sunrise at the crater lake - Rinjani 2

by Daihappydai Written Apr 8, 2014

It was an early night on the crater rim but the porters had provided warm sleeping bags and a good sleeping mat so it wasn't too uncomfortable. I got up in the middle of the night to a star laden sky.
    In the morning we were all up to watch the sunrise over Rinjani's peak. Amazing! The changing colours of the landscape and steep slopes of the crater as more and more light encroached was incredible. We also had clear views of the Gili Islands and across to Gunung Agung on Bali.
    In the crater lake, we could clearly see the emergence of Gunung Baru, the new mini-peak created by the last Rinjani eruption a few years ago.
    Our porters cooked a delicious breakfast as we took in these spectacular views.

The sun begins to rise at Rinjani crater lake The Gilis and Bali from the Rinjani crater rim Gunung Baru appearing in the crater lake Light strikes the steep rim cliffs early morning Cooking breakfast at the crater lake

Climbing Rinjani 1

by Daihappydai Written Apr 8, 2014

This tip is in three parts - just to share some photos of the experience.
    I hadn't intended on climbing Rinjani as I was in Lombok in January, the start of the real rainy season, and the mountain is closed for a few months. But when I arrived in Senaru, I was quickly talked into doing a three-day two night climb. I was even loaned good climbing shoes and a thick jacket. The next day though, a message came through that part of Rinjani was closed as there had been a landslide. My trek ended up being an overnight climb to the crater rim but it really was quite spectacular.
    Starting early in the morning, I was picked up from my accommodation and driven to the Ranger's Office at the top of the Senaru-Batu Koq Road. There I met a young Malaysian couple who I would be climbing with, along with our guide and two porters.
    The first kilometre from the Ranger's Office to the official Park Entrance was fairly easy. Then the climbing really started. While the paths are well trodden, it is very steep in parts. To put it into perspective, the climb to the crater rim is 7km in length, but during that time the rise is 2100 metres. So an average gradient of 1 in 3. Given parts are relatively flat, this means some sections are much steeper than 1 in 3.
    We made good progress through Post 1 and onto Post 2 where a delicious warming meal was cooked for us. From Post 2 to Post 3 and then Post 3 to Post 4 was quite steep. By Post 4 it had become a lot cooler and we had been hit by a few passing showers. We rested at Post 4 accompanied by a very hairy monkey - clearly rugged up for the cold.
    Then came the hard part. The first few hundred metres from post 4 is very steep - one section almost rock climbing. But once through there, it was round the mountain rim and we reached the camping area above the crater lake.
    Clouds were drifting across the lake so at times it was blanketed out, but it was indeed a spectacular sight.
    Our porters had carried tents, sleeping bags and food - I still can't quite believe how they managed to carry such a load, and some were in bare feet!
    Our guide said we should pitch tents at the highest point - I wasn't too sure as it was also the most open area and thought we might be affected by the wind at night. But he was right, the next morning we had the most spectacular views.

Porters at the entrance to Rinjani National Park Preparing lunch on the way up Gunung Rinjani A curious onlooker at Post 4 Clouds drifting across the Rinjani crater lake Trying to pitch tents in the clouds!

• Daihappydai's Profile Photo

A scenic walk and a pounding waterfall

by Daihappydai Written Apr 8, 2014

Near the top of the Senaru-Batu Kog road, and opposite the market area, is the entrance to Air Terjun Sindang Gila and Air Terjun Tiu Kelep.
    This area is a favorite picnic spot for locals on weekends and public holidays. Entrance is 5000 rupiah.
    It takes little more than 5 minutes walking down a steep paved path to reach the picnic area and views of Air Terjun Sindang Gila. There are several small warung scattered around the picnic area, but most are closed on weekdays. Sindang Gila drops about 40 meters into a small creek.
    If you want something more spectacular, head to Tiu Kelep. It is about 25 minutes walk from the picnic area. This involves walking along irrigation canals - I was impressed with how well they were constructed - wading through a river, depending on the season, and trekking on rough, dirt paths. None of it is too difficult and the sight at the end is well worth the effort.
    Tiu Kelep is quite broad and the pounding water drops into a pool at its base. You feel the moisture in the air as you approach. The daring go for a swim, but you get wet enough just standing near the edge of the pond.
    If you have a spare morning or afternoon in the Senaru area, this walk is a great way to spend the time.

The pounding waters of Air Terjun Tiu Kelep Bridge to the falls is part of the irrigation syst Irrigation system on the way to Tiu Kelep Locals enjoying their time at Air Terjun Tiu Kelep Looking downstream from Air Terjun Tiu Kelep

• Daihappydai's Profile Photo

Walking through villages and fields

by Daihappydai Written Apr 6, 2014

I had a spare day in Senaru before the start of my climb up Rinjani so I decided to go for a walk around some of the local villages and through the fields. I headed up the Senaru-Batu Koq Road to Kampong Traditonal Senaru and then looped down south. The inital part of my walk was on a made road where I met a lot of friendly children. Then I headed along a rough track that seperated fields and forest. I came across a large family group threshing rice - they were keen for me to take a photo. I ended up at a junction seemingly in the middle of nowhere in terms of 'roads' but there was a large school SDN 2 Senaru and opposite was a small shop. I sat down outside the shop just as the rain came down. The owner of the shop made me a coffee and I chatted to her and her children for some time while waiting for the rain to stop.
    After the rain ceased, I tried to make my way back by taking a circuitous route, but I ended up on a track that took my through a farmer's yard - I must have taken a wrong turn! He was friendly enough to point me in the right direction but I had to retrack and ended up heading back the same way I came.
    It was a great day - 5 hours of walking in damp conditions so not too hot, chatting to lots of locals and taking pictures along the way.
    Highly recommended, paths through the fields are quite good but wear decent walking shoes. Be prepared to meet buffalo, cows and goats along the paths!

Friendly children I met along the way House in one of the villages near Senaru What you meet along the paths! Friendly family who all wanted to be in a photo Shop opposite SDN 2 Senaru where I had a coffee

Kampung Traditional Senaru

by Daihappydai Written Apr 6, 2014

Right at the top of the Senaru-Batu Koq Road, adjacent to the Ranger's Headquarters is Kampung Traditional Senaru. This enclosed area has houses built on a clay foundation with dirt-clay floors and thatched roofs. While there are now modern conveniences, residents of this village live in a fairly traditional communal lifestyle. You can make a small donation and walk through the compound.
    But, to be honest, I'm not too sure how much this is now a 'made for tourists' village. Certainly I have been to other 'traditional' villages throughout Indonesia and have felt that they were more authentic.

Kampung Traditional Senaru Entrance to Kampung Traditional Senaru Kampung Traditional Senaru

Traditional weaving

by Daihappydai Written Apr 6, 2014

If you are in Bayan to see the mosque, head across the road to Tenun Traditional Fetung Bayan Art Shop. There you will see women working traditional looms creating vividly colored cloth. The owner of the shop is very friendly - she explained the regions traditional beliefs, the influence of the Balinese culture on the Islamic faith in the area and the Wektu Telu where the Islamic faithful pray three times a day instead of the normal five times a day.
    The cloth is well made and prices are much cheaper than in many tourist areas - especially given the amount of time it takes to produce each piece. If you don't want to buy a large piece, there are plenty of accessories such as small bags and purses.

Working on a traditional loom, Bayan Brightly colored thread on a loom, Bayan Inside the Art Shop, Bayan Cloth and accessories for sale, Bayan

The oldest mosque in Lombok

by Daihappydai Written Apr 6, 2014

Bayan is a junction town 6km from Senaru - you need to pass through Bayan to get to and from Senaru and further west to Sembalun. The Masjid Kuno Bayan Beleq is located in the village of Beleq adjacent to Bayan. The mosque which has a thatched roof and foundations made from river stone and clay is said to be more than 400 years old.
    The mosque is set in well-kept gardens next to a river. You can walk around the gardens - it is likely a local caretaker will accompany you, great to hear the oral history of the buildings. Several smaller buildings are tombs - one is said to be that of the mosque's founding haji.
    You will be asked to sign the visitor's book and make a small donation to support the upkeep of the grounds (20,000 - 50,000 rupiah).
    Remember to take mosquito repellant if it is rainy season.

Masjid Kuno Bayan Beleq Masjid Kuno Bayan Beleq River stone foundations of Masjid Kuno Bayan Beleq One of the tombs at Masjid Kuno Bayan Beleq Masjid Kuno Bayan Beleq

Instant Answers: Senaru

Comments

Senaru Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Senaru things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Senaru sightseeing.