Akita Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Akita

Departmental Stores.

by Sharrie Updated Aug 25, 2002

Fondest memory: Checking out new departmental stores. Next to the JR Station are 2 huge stores called Forus Dept Store & Ito-Yokado Dept Store which I've never heard of though I've been to Japan more than 20X. How refreshing & exciting :)))

• Sharrie's Profile Photo

Akita Senshu Museum of Art.

by Sharrie Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Visit AKITA SENSHU MUSEUM OF ART: The museum exhibits outstanding works such as Akita-ranga paintings & commemorative collection of Okada Kenzo (1902-1982), a Japanese oil painter who was famous in New York after the WWII.

Streets of Akita.

by Sharrie Updated Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Walk on the streets of Akita & discover for yourself what's new in this city. I noticed that bicycle is an important mode of transportation in all the cities of the Tohoku region. There's huge parking lots for bicycles. This I find very interesting though I have yet found out the exact reason why it's more common in this part of Japan than the rest of Honshu island.

Fondest memory: The city of Akita was a pleasant surprise to me. After having spent about 2/3 of the day in Tazawako & Kakunodate, I thought the day went well. Enjoyed both places & head for the last stop of the day. I have read about Akita before I came & knew there're quite a lot of places to venture from Akita (you know, the off-the-beaten paths) but since I don't have much time, I decided before arrival to just check out this city (perhaps for future visits). What do I like about it?

Well, Akita is refreshing after Tazawako & Kakunodate. I'm back to civilization! I didn't expect myself that happy to be in a city, really! I guessed I'd never be able to stay in the mountain for a lengthy period of time since I like the modern-day convenience way too much.

In essence, Akita is not a new city. Remains from the Old Stone Age, the Jomon & Yayoi Periods are found in many locations in Akita. In other words, it has a history of about 20,000-30,000 years. But today, it has developed into an industrial, economic & cultural city. As soon as one steps out of its modern-designed station, one is surrounded by huge departmental stores & hotels. I think this is great. At the very least, I don't have to scout around for food when I'm hungry & I get to spend my time shopping after dark. Just perfect! & mind you, shopping in Japan is one activity that no one should ever missed. It's the best place in the world, as far as I'm concerned, of course!

Akita JR Station.

by Sharrie Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: AKITA JR STATION: Get a map from the Akita City Information Center which is housed here.

by Sharrie Updated Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: About 5 mins walk from the station, Senshu Park is most beautiful in Spring when the park is filled with blooming cherry trees.

by Sharrie Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: SENSHU PARK: One of the most scenic spots in Akita. Was once the site of Kubota Castle where the Satake Clan lords resided until 1875.

by Sharrie Updated Aug 25, 2002

Fondest memory: A pond outside Senshu Park was filled with lotus leaves (I think). It's a very nice area to walk in the evening.

Instant Answers: Akita

Comments

Akita Favorites

Reviews and photos of Akita favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Akita sightseeing.