Takayama Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Takayama

Hida Korikori Beer's Koelsch

by Ewingjr98 Written Sep 17, 2014

Hida Korikori, in the summer of 2104, offers two koelsch-style beers, their standard koelsch and Sarubobo Beer. I tried Sarubobo Beer first, and it was not a good beer. I had their koelsch immediately after the Sarubobo, and the koelsch was definitely a better beer. It poured a similar golden color, but with some sediment and a thick head that thinned quickly, but lingered, The smell was light and soapy, but the taste rich and authentic.

Hida Takayama's Korikori no Kuni Brewery makes Hida Korikori Beer. I found Hida Korikori Beer throughout Takayama during my visit in September 2014. I was at first intrigued by the "hida red Lager" because I saw it was brewed with red peppers, but that didn't sound good, and it wasn't. I later found Sarubobo beer a kolsch), and their standard kolsch.

3 out of 5 stars

Address: 3-733-2 Nishi-no-isshiki-cho, Takayama, Gifu Prefecture, Japan 506-0031
    Website: http://korikorinokuni.com/L*

Hida Korikori's Sarubobo Beer

by Ewingjr98 Updated Sep 17, 2014

Sarubobo Beer, or "baby monkey beer," is named after the small sarubobo dolls sold in Takayama as symbols of good luck. The red sarubobo doll adorns the simple tan label on this beer. Sarubobo beer is classified as a German Kölsch. The smell is sweet and lightly soapy perhaps like a mild dish detergent. The taste is very plain and mild, not much better than a convenience store beer. 5.2 percent alcohol by volume.

2 out of 5 stars (an extra star for their embrace of a local cultural icon)

Website: http://korikorinokuni.com/?pid=78808683

Hida Takayama Brewery's Pale Ale

by Ewingjr98 Written Sep 16, 2014

Hida Takayama Brewery, also called Hida Takayama Brewing Agricultural Corporation Limited, was established in 1996, making it one of the oldest ji-biru (craft beer) brewers in Japan. Their logo is an insane clown lion, and they brew a number of fairly standard beers like a pils, dark ale, stout and pale ale. The brewery was founded by a Japanese brewer, with the help of a Sri Lankan who was trained in Germany, hence the German beer styles and the Sri Lankan names of some beers.

Hida Takayama's Pale Ale comes in their standard huge bottle, but this one has a black label and red logo. It pours a dark golden color, with a thick head that quickly dissipates. The smell is sweet, almost too sweet, and the taste is also sweet with just a hint of bitterness. Like other Hida Takayama beers, it has very mild carbonation.

4 out of 5 stars.

Tenaga Ashinaga Restaurant

by Ewingjr98 Written Sep 15, 2014

Tenaga Ashinga is a restaurant that features local Hida beef and Hida pork dishes. Hida beef (Hida-gyu or 飛驒牛) is a special breed of high-quality Wagyu beef local to Gifu Prefecture.

We had two of the Hida beef meals, including one with a mix of pork, beef, and kimchi over rice. Rich and very delicious. Our meals came with a free glass of beer, but it was tiny and barely worth their time to pour it.

The restaurant's name, Tenaga Ashinga, means "long arms, long legs," a reference to Japanese folklore about two men, one with long arms and one with long legs. They eventually learn to fish together by the long-legged man walking into the water with the long armed man on his shoulders, and the long armed man can read deep into the water to catch fish.

Hida Takayama Brewery's Weizen

by Ewingjr98 Written Sep 15, 2014

Another great Hida Takayama beer is its German-style Weizen. The beer comes in a huge bottle with a black label and gray logo. It pours a light yellow, with a thin head that quickly disappears. The smell is almost entirely bananas, but the taste is light, sweet, and fruity with some clove and other spices. The only negative is the very slight carbonation.

4 out of 5 stars.

Hida Takayama Brewery Karumina Belgian Strong Ale

by Ewingjr98 Updated Sep 14, 2014

Hida Takayama Brewery's finest beer is its Karumina, a Belgian Strong Ale. Karumina is a Sinhala (India) word meaning black gem, and the name fits the beer. The beer pours black with a thin, but lingering light brown head. The smell is rich and complex with fruits and toasted malts. The taste is strong, with some fruits, a slight toasted taste, and maybe brandy. Kind of a cross between a Belgian Delierium Tremens and a Leffe Brune. Karumina beer won a silver medal at the World Beer Cup in 2000.

5 out of 5 stars.

Hida Takayama Brewery's Extra Special Thada Ratu

by Ewingjr98 Updated Sep 14, 2014

Hida Takayama's Extra Special Beer , called Thada Ratu, was the first beer I tried from this acclaimed Japanese brewery, which is also called Hida Takayama Brewing Agricultural Corporation Limited. Hida Takayama Brewery was established in 1996, making it one of the oldest ji-biru (craft beer) brewers in Japan. Their logo is an insane clown lion, and they brew a number of fairly standard beers like a pils, dark ale, stout and pale ale.

The Extra Special Beer pours a dark brown with a thin head. The beer is perhaps a porter, with slight flavors of chocolate and coffee, but not overpowering. Really a good beer.

Thada Ratu is a Sinhala (India) word meaning copper color.

4.5 out of 5 stars.

Hida Korikori Beer's Red Lager

by Ewingjr98 Written Sep 14, 2014

Hida Takayama's Korikori no Kuni Brewery makes Hida Korikori Beer. I found Hida Korikori Beer throughout Takayama during my visit in September 2014. I was at first intrigued by the "hida red Lager" because I saw it was brewed with red peppers, but that didn't sound good. However, my wife likes chocolate with red peppers, so I decided to get the bottle for her to try. We were both excited to try it.

Interestingly enough, this red lager isn't red, rather it pours a golden yellow color. The scent is almost entirely of peppers, as is the taste, with barely a hint of hops or other basic beer flavors. After drinking a tiny glass of this beer, my lips had a slight burning tingle. After another half glass, I dumped it down the drain and switched to a beer from nearby Hida Takayama Brewery.

1 out of 5 stars (a star for trying something new)

Website: http://korikorinokuni.com/?pid=78808683

• hebaemam's Profile Photo

Sumikyu soba and odon: Delecious Soba...

by hebaemam Written May 29, 2014

this is not like the usual soba or odon restuarant yet it have its own delecious tast. my husband took the wild mountain veggies soba and i took kakeodon.
    unique and delcious.....

Favorite Dish: mountain veggies soba

• Susuya @ 24 Hanakawa-Cho Takayama City Gifu: Good Hida Beef Restaurant but -----

by StanT23 Written Apr 25, 2014

At first you would think this must be the best restaurant for Hida Beef in Takayama just judging by the long queue outside the restaurant, but on closer look you would have noticed that the people in the crowd seem to know each other well. Yes they were all from tour groups of various countries. As for our group of four free and easy travelers who had also joined the queue but ordered dishes from the menu quite different from the group travelers we were rather disappointed both with the service in taking our orders and and the long wait for our food to be served - I guess must be due to non standard preparation as in the mass order from the group travelers. When the food finally arrived it took us less time to finish the food than waiting for the food which after all was nothing to boast about and comparable with the other restaurants in the same neighborhood but at a much higher price. Certainly not value for money for free and easy travelers. Pay less with larger portions for the same quality food in other similar restaurants nearby.

Favorite Dish: Hida beef sukiyaki is really good. Well marbled beef thinly shaved which melts in the mouth. It is the beef that counts.

Karakuri: Great Hida beef

by toonsarah Written Dec 31, 2013

While Kobe beef is the best in the world, Hida beef is considered to run it a close second, and you can buy it everywhere in Takayama for a fraction of what you probably pay for much less good meat back home. As with Kobe, the secret is in the marbling and although it looks odd if you're unused to it to see fat running through the meat, it is this that gives it its tenderness and flavour.

We had a super Hida beef dinner at a small family-run restaurant near the station, as recommended by Andrew. We had one of the set meals which, in addition to the beef (you can choose between diced or sliced – we both chose the latter), included some small bits of cold and pickled vegetables served as starter.

Favorite Dish: With the meat we had a bowl of rice, miso soup, salad (with a wonderful dressing) and an excellent dipping sauce. The slices of beef are served to you raw, and a burner is lit in front of you, where you cook each slice as needed to your own preference. You then take the slice of beef, dip it in the sauce and maybe take some rice too. And enjoy the melt in your mouth texture and superb flavour.

This style of “do it yourself” cooking on a sizzling cast iron pan is called Sukiyaki. Most of us really loved this meal but there were a couple in the group who were put off by the veins of fat and wished for a leaner cut of meat. I felt that was missing the point however, and I’ve rarely if ever had beef so succulent.

Note that almost all seating here is traditional, on cushions on the floor. I found it made my back ache after a while but adding a second cushion and leaning back (I’d chosen a spot in front of a screen) helped. There are a few stools up at the counter if you don’t feel you can cope on the floor for a whole meal.

The next morning we were all up quite early and heading for the river banks.

Exterior of Karakuri Cosy inside Hida beef Lighting the burner Sitting Japanese style

.: A characterful coffee shop

by toonsarah Written Dec 31, 2013

As we strolled south from the area around Sakurayama Hachimangu we were on the lookout for somewhere we might find rest and refreshment, and when we spotted a café in a traditional old building on Shimo-Ninomachi advertising cappuccinos, we knew we had found our place!

Stepping inside we found ourselves in a fascinating old building with antiques and knickknacks around the walls and a few large wooden tables. We sat at one end of one of these and were handed menus by the friendly lady who was serving, but explained we would just like coffees – a cappuccino for Chris and a mocha for me. She passed our order to the man making the drinks and we waited a while as he seemed to be taking extra care over them. When Chris’s, the first to arrive, was brought we saw why – an image of two little bears carefully “drawn” in the foam. My mocha was equally decorative but very different, with lovely feathering. A Canadian guy sitting at the same table heard our exclamations and came over to look. When he saw the designs he asked permission to take a photo (of course we were already snapping away!) and explained that a friend of his, a professional photographer, was working on a book of “coffee art” and would be jealous that he had come across such a great example!

Fortunately the coffee was as good as it looked and we thoroughly enjoyed our drinks. The café also serves simple meals, mainly udon and soba, which looked good and one of which our new Canadian friend was clearly enjoying. The coffees weren’t cheap (the cappuccino was 450¥ and the mocha 550¥, comparable to London prices) but the friendly service, extra care taken and attractive room made this seem good value to us.

Once we had finished our coffee and our chat, we were ready to carry on sightseeing and headed to the Lion Dance Ceremony Exhibition Hall.

Exterior Interior Cappuccino Mocha Coffee as art

Rakuda: Great lunch stop

by toonsarah Written Dec 31, 2013

We had spotted this small restaurant earlier in the day and thought it looked a good bet for a lunch stop, as indeed it did. We loved the quirky decor which had rather a kitsch feel, with old 1970s posters and an odd assortment of objects displayed (which continued into the toilet, by the way – do check it out if you come here!) The music played was mostly from the same era, so it’s evidently a passion of the owners. The service was friendly and there was a helpful English-language menu.

Favorite Dish: I had a really tasty sandwich - thick slices of toast with an omelette filling, loads of vegetables (courgette, tomatoes, edame beans, aubergine etc.) and salad in a delicious dressing. Chris had the white pizza which had a very thin base (more like a quesadilla) but a delicious topping of two types of cheese with walnuts. Other options on the menu included a Hida beef curry (not sure I’d want to swamp such delicious beef with curry flavourings, much as I love curry!), vegetable curry and spaghetti carbonara.

Our drinks were equally as good – mine a home-made ginger ale and Chris's a soda with fresh fruits. And the prices were low - my huge sandwich was just 600¥ and our total bill not much over 2,000¥ What’s not to like?!!

Refreshed and very happy with our lunch break we headed to our next sight, one of two nearby merchant houses open to the public.

Rakuda exterior Display inside My sandwich Chris's pizza Soda with fresh fruit

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Center4 Hamburgers: Beef burgers to die for!

by toonsarah Written Dec 31, 2013

Chris and I had both loved the Hida beef that Andrew had introduced us to on the previous evening so we decided to try one of the other restaurants he recommended here in Takayama, which also got a very favourable mention in my Lonely Planet guidebook (and incidentally is ranked #1 restaurant in the city on TripAdvisor) – a place known as Center4 Hamburgers. It sounded like a great place to get a change from Japanese food while still making the most of the high quality local ingredients.

The restaurant is run by a local couple who are clearly enamoured of all things American, as the burgers are served to a background of Johnny Cash music and many of the antiques that spill into the restaurant from the shop in front of it are from the US (though many others are from countries all over the world, as well as from Japan itself). There are just a handful of tables but on the week night we visited there was never more than one other table occupied – surprising perhaps when you consider its reputation.

Favorite Dish: Less surprising is the menu, which is dominated by burgers, though there are a few other options. The Hida beef burger comes unadorned, as is only right given the quality of the meat, but you can also get burgers made with regular beef and with all the usual toppings such as cheese, bacon, chilli, egg. These are very reasonably priced at around 900¥ - 1,000¥, but you pay considerably more for the Hida beef burger – 2,100¥, though that does include fries and a tasty salsa. I know the salsa is tasty because I chose to splash out on that dish, and I was so pleased I did – it was amazing! Chris wanted blue cheese on his burger however so opted for the regular beef, but that too was pretty great. If you don’t want beef you can also get a fish fillet burger, grilled chicken sandwich, veggie burger and several salads. But if you’re a meat eater do consider the Hida beef burger as it really is something special and worth the extra cost.

Our bill came to 5,459¥ for the two of us, which included two large draft beers each (Kirin Ichiban). There’s also a wide range of bottled beers from Germany, Belgium and the US.

This was our last evening in Takayama; the next morning we left by bus for Kamikochi.

Outside the restaurant And inside My Hida beef burger Antiques spill into the restaurant

• arianne_1504's Profile Photo

Shou: A Shou-in

by arianne_1504 Written Jun 26, 2010

This restaurant was located on the ground floor of the Best Western Hotel. Given that it was so freezing cold on the night of my birthday, we just didn't want to leave the building - so it was just as well we found this place. It was very quiet, but it was just perfect and the experience of cooking your own meal on the brazier was great.

Shou is open from 5.30pm to 10.30pm daily.

I couldn't tell you the pricing, but I think we spent around Y16,000 for 2 people (with a bottle of sparkling wine), which was definitely a splurge for us.

Favorite Dish: We had the Hida Beef Set, which was of course beef and assorted Japanese vegetables which you grill yourself over a charcoal brazier. I think there was an entree of kinds and some miso soup, but I do know there was what seemed to be an endless bottle of champagne! All topped off with some delicious citrusy tasting sorbet.

• Business Travel
    • Singles
    • Women's Travel

Instant Answers: Takayama

Comments

Takayama Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Takayama restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Takayama sightseeing.