Wakkanai Travel Guide

Wakkanai Things to Do

• Will go to watch the GOMA-CYANZU~!

There is the warm observation hut in harbor.Please do not disturb them by any means, they are Wild seals.Just look and taking photographs, Here they and loco fishermaen coexist peacefully.

• Soya Hills

There is a monument marking the crash of Korean planes (Inori-no-to, I think) on the hills and cattle farm.The grazing cattle gives a scene of peace and tranquility and the park is not overcrowded with tourist on my visit, which is quite a plus point.

• Noshyappu Misaki

Situated on the North-Western coast of Wakkanai, it is possible to see Rebun and Rishiri islands from the cape on clear days.On my visit, there was a slight drizzle, so there wasn't much to see. The sea was very rough and the wind extremely strong. This is no exaggeration, but I lost my balance while trying to remove my camera from my backpack.

• Esandomari Fishing Port Park

Situated at Noshyappu Misaki, it is a small plot of land with a dolphin statue.A short walk away, there is a aquarium which I did not visit. Around the cape and park are a few food shops for hungry visitors.

• Light House at Soya Hills

One of the sights on Soya Hill. There is nearby lookout tower which you can ascend for a memorable photo shoot.

• Cape Soya

This is it - the northernmost point in Japan. Besides a monument which tells you that you've arrived at the tip, a souvenir shop or two and some other monuments, that's it.You can take consolation that Soya Hills which is walkable from the cape has some other monuments as well as a cattle farm.Overall, this is a rather scenic area in my opinion....

Wakkanai Hotels

Wakkanai Restaurants

• MAIGO's Profile Photo
    Lunch plate 980yen 1 more image

by MAIGO Updated Jun 26, 2007

The menu is Japanese food (Japanese noodles, Udon, Soba.....) and pasta.
    There is sweets of the Japanese-style, too.
    When it order a drink, tiny cake comes with.
    Credit cards accepte.

Favorite Dish: The lunch set menu of the offer is recommended in the daytime.
    Side dishes more than 10 with rice & miso soup.
    It is vegetables which are good for health-centered side dish.
    (They become the, therefore, wild vegetable dish in a season.)

Wakkanai Warnings and Dangers

• MAIGO's Profile Photo
    Here is an ice rink ?  No just a road.....

by MAIGO Written Jun 24, 2007

When the road of Hokkaido of the winter does not fit it in an icy road,
    You have difficulty with draiving.
    It's always speed down, careful driving !

Wakkanai Off The Beaten Path

• Roadside planters

In Wakkanai and some of the towns I passed through enroute to Asahikawa, I saw many roadside planters full of attractive flowers.Caught sight of these peonies at the roadside, beside cars and lorries. These were the most brilliant "roadside" plants I chanced upon throughout my Hokkaido trip.

• Neighbourhood shops and streets

This hardresser was actually situated on a quiet sliproad near the Wakkanai Youth Hostel where I was staying.I was attracted by the large cutout of the scissors.

• Residential areas

Residential areas are one of my favourites when travelling overseas. Not only can you see how the local people live, you may also chance upon many surprising finds.For me, that's their small, well tended gardens.

Instant Answers: Wakkanai

Comments

Explore Deeper into Wakkanai
Wakkanai Park