Oarai Travel Guide

The sea lion performing
    More tricks

Oarai Things to Do

• What is this?

There are many sea creatures that camouflage themselves for self-preservation. They mimick different animals or they change their colors.I knew I took this picture for some reason. There is something inside this little aquarium - it's a fish that is a master of disguise fish. Can you figure it out?Is it on the algae? Is it on the sand? Where is it?

• Check out the Barracuda

The Oarai Aquarium is huge! They have a lot of collection of sharks. However, they don't maintain the big sharks. I think they release them after the shark reaches a certain age or weight.

• Finding Nemo

Have you watched "Finding Nemo"? Here's a collection of these adorable, orange-colored fish. Any child who watched the Disney movie "Finding Nemo" will probably recognize this kind of fish right away. For some reason, I don't know their local name or scientific name.

• Check out the rock fish

Like human beings the rock fish is a master of disguise. You have to look closely to find the rock fish!

• Check out the hook fish at the Oarai...

I had been to many aquaria in the world (I had been to the San Diego Aquarium at the Seaworld, Monterey Aquarium (the largest aquarium in the United States) and Seattle Aquarium), but I haven't seen a collection of alive hook fish. At the Oarai Aquarium, you can see that they have a small glass tank filled with soft white sand and ocean water. It...

• The view deck at the Aquarium

While waiting for the main attration of the Oarai Aquarium, which was the performance of the dolphins and the sea lions, we went to the observation deck. It is overlooking the harbor as the Oarai Aquarium was established close to the ocean. The neighboring town can also be seen at the view deck. There is a telescope you can use.

• Look for the giant sting ray

It's difficult to wait for the sting ray swim close to the main view glass of the giant aquarium. But when it came, I immediately asked my sister if she could takea picture of me sizing up the sting ray. It glides through the glass pretty fast.

• Watch the penguins being fed in Oarai...

It so happen that when we were visiting the Oarai Aquaworld, it was the time for the aquarium staff to feed the penguins. He came out with a bucketful of fish and the penguins came out running. There was a special place specifically built for the penguins. They were place in a colder place that suits their body temperature.

• Watch the sea lion/dolphins tricks

We waited for the sealions/dolphins to perform. There were about a hundred spectators inside the covered pool. There were four dolphins performing. They jumped through hulahoops and they had synchronized swimming. It was a pleasant display. The children loved the tricks of the dolphins!

Oarai Restaurants

by joiwatani Written Apr 30, 2009

There are so many choices here. You can have any sushi you like. However, it is very expensive!

We opted for the cheaper noodles because we were waiting to get out so we can have barbecued squid on our road stop on our way back home.

Favorite Dish: Odom noodles

• Aquarium

Oarai Shopping

by joiwatani Written Apr 29, 2009

There are many sea creature stuffed toys at the aquarium. You can also buy different fresh sea shells. There are dolphins, orcas, sea otters, sea lions, starfish, sea horses, etc.

What to buy: Stuffed toys

What to pay: Depends on what you buy

My picture at the Oarai Aquarium
    • Aquarium

Oarai Warnings and Dangers

by joiwatani Written Dec 7, 2008

As soon as we were seated waiting for the Dolphins & Sea Lion Show to start, I was told by a local resident not to sit close to the pool because I will probably get wet once the dolphins and the sea lions come out jumping out from the water!

So, my father and my sister moved out from where we were sitting to higher level seats. It was actually better because I can see the pool better and have a better view of the show.

Instant Answers: Oarai

Comments

Oarai Travel Guide
Map of Oarai