Kagoshima-ken Travel Guide

Western-style works that intrigued me
    Yunohira Observatory

2,2,0

Kagoshima

• Sakurajima

Kagoshima Things to Do

I think it's safe enough to say that Sakurajima is the no. 1 attraction in Kagoshima and suffice it to say that the 15-min ferry ride from the Sakurajima Ferry Terminal remains one of my highlights of my 7-month stay in Japan. It's awesome to witness its majesty from a distance and even more so when I edged closer and closer to the island.I didn't...

• Kagoshima Tokyu Inn Hotel

Kagoshima Hotels

it's a clean and simple place to stay, internet access free and they have non-smoking rooms!...

• Chiran Peace Museum

Kagoshima Things to Do

The Chiran Peace Museum is dedicated to the 1036 kamikaze pilots who sacrificed their lives by flying their bomb-laden planes into American ships. As such, this is not a visit for the faint-hearted but if you are curious to understand the frame of mind of these Japanese who knew that they did not have much longer to live, I would say this is a...

Ibusuki

Ambo

• Deer!

Ambo Off The Beaten Path

While hiking in Yakusugiland, I kept getting exciting every time I'd catch a glimpse of a deer in the distance. Turns out I didn't need to be chasing those deer after all. When we got to the end of the trail, there was a deer right in front of me. Not only did he not run away, but when I took out a cracker, he happily ate it out of my hand.

• Monkeys!

Ambo Off The Beaten Path

Keep your eyes open for the wild Yakushima macaques. They could be anywhere, often hanging out in family groups. And they were amazingly unafraid of people and cars.

• Bathing in Hirauchi-kaichu hot springs

Ambo Things to Do

We had never tried bathing in a Japanese hot spring, and after a cold day of hiking in the rain, that seemed like a fun way to relax and warm up. The setting was gorgeous--set in the rocks, next to a blue and gray rocky beach. There is a restaurant nearby with parking. There aren't any special faciliies for bathers, but the restaurant will sell you...

Shibushi

• vincentf's Profile Photo

by vincentf Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is the main ferry that takes passengers between Shibushi and Osaka. It is an overnighter with individual cabins fully equipped with basic amenities. It leaves Shibushi at 6pm and arrives into Osaka at 7:40am.

My family had a bad experience with the rooms as the toilet smelled awful. The meals served were awful as well.

Blue Highway Line

2 Reviews - 1 Photo
Anjo Hotels
1 Review - 2 Photos

Instant Answers: Kagoshima-ken

Comments

Kagoshima-ken

Plan a Kagoshima-ken vacation with reviews, tips and photos posted by real travelers and Kagoshima-ken locals

Popular Destinations in Kagoshima-ken