Yokohama Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Yokohama

• worldkiwi's Profile Photo

A view over Yokohama's harbour...

by worldkiwi Written May 1, 2004
    A view from the Landmark Tower, Yokohama.

Fondest memory: Here's a picture from the top of the Landmark Tower in Yokohama over the harbour. You can see Cosmoworld fun park and the Navios Yokohama Hotel on the island in the middle ground. The Yokohama Bay Bridge is in the distance. The Yokohama Grand Intercontinental Hotel is on the left of frame.
    The Landmark Tower is Japan's tallest building (296m) and is open until 10pm. It costs JPY1000 for a entry ticket.

• manuelEB's Profile Photo

There is only one Yokohama!!!!

by manuelEB Updated Oct 30, 2003

Favorite thing: It cracked me up, when I started to build this page, to see how happy and busy are my VTerans colleagues with massive pages about this cty. Aomori Prefecture, in the north tip of the Hondo Island, has lot of interesting things to see and a rich history to follow but Yokohama is quite far from Aomori. I guess it takes just one e-mail to headquarters to set the record straight:
    Dear Vice President of Contents:
    My pages on Yokohama were erroneouly placed in Aomori Prefecture but the city actually seats in Kanagawa-ken (ken stands for prefecture). I would appreciate it if you correct the error. Japan is the second economy of the World and millions of tourists -that read virtual tourist but do not buy the Japan's Lonely Planet- come to this country every year. How can we misslead them in such a way?

Yours truly,
    o00o, Sharrie, etc, etc.

Fondest memory: I miss Amori Prefecture and the its Sugaru Strait, the sound of the Sugaru shamisen, the beauty of Sugaru Laquer, the Towada Lake and the Nebuta Festival...and the sake!!!

• Business Travel

• Watching the sunsets!

by yen_2 Updated Sep 10, 2003

From my window;-)

Favorite thing: Most of the time when I was pregnant, of course I just stayed in the house or be in the Kawasaki walking around or even window shopping in Sakuragicho Station. Most of the time when I'm in the house I'll be watching the sunsets from the window in our apartment.

Fondest memory: Watching the sunsets from the window in our apartment.

• Window Shopping

by yen_2 Written Mar 26, 2003

Inside the Landmark mall!

Favorite thing: Landmark Mall has its fantastic mall and they also have a baby section where you can let your baby crawl and change the diaper so, went here when I'm bored in the house. Sometimes, baby and I we'll wait for his daddy in here.

Fondest memory: People watching and if you like to read magazines, books, computer books and anything to read they have a bookstore in the 3rd floor.

• Theme Park Trips

• A lovely fountain along our way home!

by yen_2 Written Mar 19, 2003

Favorite thing: I love walking around the Minato Mirai areas from Land mark to Jack Malls. When we went home one night, we found a lovely fountain along our way home, you can sit around those areas since they have lots of clean benches and lots of trees on the sight. Its so refreshing in there, love to just listen to the waves of the trees. This fountain is infront of the Yokohama Museum.

• Walking along Yamashita Park

by yen_2 Written Mar 18, 2003

Favorite thing: WAlking along Yamashita Park and watching the hundred of doves would be great. During my preggy moments, hubby and I would go here and just sit in the benches and watch the sun sets. I would go very tired because of my big tummy that time but I like the idea of just seeing the sorroundings of the place we use to live, that's why keep telling you all that I missed being there. I always bring with me my extra underwear that time,lol(remember I was pregnant this time) because we just stroll over, I think we could finished all over the area of Minato Mirai and totaly its 3 kms and its only walking.

Fondest memory: After walking from Yamashita Park and be in this Antique Shop that looks like a European building near in the harbour, they have a band which sings Egnligh songs and its every Saturday as I can remember.

• World Cup in Yokohama

by yen_2 Written Mar 18, 2003

Flower ball for the 2002 world cup!

Favorite thing: Since world cup 2002 was over it was only a history and being in there was a very lucky enough to participate those big event. I was ready to give birth with our first son that time and there I was cheering for Japan team which took them only for the first round which they only won for 2 games and it was a good game since it was their first time to enter that category.

Fondest memory: I don't mind about my big tummy jumping around when my fave player Ronaldo could had a shot. The International Headlines that my son was delivered was the World Cup 2002 which is a great remembrance for me! My water bag brooked when Ichiro Suzuki in my fave team Japan had a shot and there starts my labor for a couple of hours! It wasn't only a game for me but a real life experience having my baby with my fave game together in it!

• Theme Park Trips

• Eating homemade ice creams:)

by yen_2 Written Mar 18, 2003

Favorite thing: Landmark tower has it's luxurious mall in the ground area about 6 floors there you can find different kinds of shops though it's a little bit of expensive taking your shopping there but they have this branded GAP jeans independent store which I love to keep coming back! You can find an ice cream stores in the 2nd floor which is a homemade one, you can also find Hagen Daaz, Baskin N' Robins, Lady Borden ice cream stores but this one that I like is different. They have this very delicious homemade ice cream that I love to just sit in the corner and sit there for awhile...

Fondest memory: Sakuragicho Station is only around 10 to 15 min. from our place so I wouldn't mind to just walked it from our place. Japan is not polluted compare to any places that I've been and their streets and walking areas are very clean so, I could remember those busy people walking too!

• Sunset in the harbour of Minato Mirai

by yen_2 Written Mar 16, 2003

Towering Landmark

Favorite thing: When you're in Yokohama, you should visit the towering Landmark(tallest building in Japan which is in the Guiness World of Records for the fstaest Elevator in the World!), from above you can see the Mt. Fuji and the lovely sunset.

Fondest memory: I always got to visit this place since it's only a 2 min. ride with the train from our place there(which I always miss about). I always miss the respectful people there. My friends and the sushi which they have the best one!

• Work Abroad

• Lovely Tulips during the Spring!

by yen_2 Written Mar 16, 2003

White tulip!

Favorite thing: When you're around Yokohama in the first week of the Spring, try to see the lovely tulips along the National Stadium in Kanai Station, they have such adorable different kinds of colors of tulips which I had a nice time taking pix in it!

Fondest memory: I used to walk through the Park along the Stadium near the Kanai Station, bringing my headphone and walking around is one that I really miss in here. Watching people walking around, which they don't care what are you doing in there too. Watching the doves flying and eating those feeds I would give is one of the wonderful memory I had!

• Work Abroad

• crazyguitar's Profile Photo

The Final!! FIFA WorldCup 2002

by crazyguitar Updated Dec 16, 2002

Brazilian team celebrating the victory!

Favorite thing: All was ready for the best football match of the last 4 years. Brazil vs Germany!!
    The ambience was amazing!!!
    Plenty of supporters, I love the vivid and happy Brazilians!
    Lots of Japanese wearing t-shirts of both teams!
    The match was brilliant!!!
    Ronaldo scored twice to give Brazil a 2-0 victory over Germany.
    I was lucky!! I was there!!!

Minato Mirai 21 Entrance

by hotshot0428 Updated Nov 8, 2002

Favorite thing: This is my first day (June 10 during World Cup Game) and the start of my adventure just by myself because my Japanese girlfriend is working.
    From Yokohama Station there is tourist information center they can speak English, and some can speak different language. And there a lot of pamplet, maps or brouchure for tourist as a guide.
    So I ask her I want to go to Sakuragi-cho Station them the woman said track number (sorry I can not remember now) so I go, then I'm waiting for the first train them I ride for 15 minute, and I'm looking for a maps and I said to myself this is not the place I want to go. SO I GET LOST. I asked Japanese people around me I said, "Ei-go ga wakarimasuka", meaning do you understand English they answered either they shake their head meaning no, or making hand gesture like a little bit. After that you say "Arigato Gozaimasu", meaning to say "thank you very much" after that they smile at you.
    Most Japanese don't speak English so my recommemdation is bring a small pocket book like I have, translated English to Japanese but not Japanese character or they call it "Roma-ji".
    They have many different tracks. And I did not know that in one track of the trains there is maybe five different distination too confusing for me. So before riding a train be sure to double check it again ask people around you. And finally I arrived in Sakuragi-cho Station.

Fondest memory: Around Yokohama Station is crowded
    especially rush hour bumper to bumper just like cars can hardly walk or move unlike here in Vancouver.
    The people are very helpful speaking in Japanese language and they give you hand direction if you get lost.
    Japanese people on the trains, on shoppings malls and many places where I met who can speak English they step in to volunteer to help you. Also, when you speak to them and you praise them that you speak good English they are very shy and humble to admit. Most of this people I met young, university students and middle ages either they are work for foreign companies or business men or woman travelling abroad. And boy, what an experience, and I have fun.

Yokohama Chinatown Entrance

by hotshot0428 Written Sep 29, 2002

Favorite thing: Yokohama's Chinatown is one of the largest in the world. Over 500 different stores from souviner, restaurant, clothes and many others are squeezed together, representing the energy and liveliness of the people living and working there. When you're in Japan do the Japanese ways like make sign of PEACE for pictures and guys don't get serious. Life is too short.

Yokohama Park

by hotshot0428 Written Sep 29, 2002

Favorite thing: I was resting from a long walk from Chinatown because I get lost I did not know how to get back to the Ishikawacho Station. I ask Japanese people on street but they give me different direction and I don't understand them and they don't understand me and they are very helpful to tourist then I wonder why a lot of people around doing different things so I ask the Japanese lady she speak little English she said it is Yokohama Park I end up to.

• Sharrie's Profile Photo

Zen Buddhist Temple: Layout of...

by Sharrie Updated Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: Zen Buddhist Temple: Layout of this type of temple is based on Chinese Sung Dynasty temples, ie. symmetrical & rectilinear. The main buildings comprise of Sanmon (main gate), Butsuden (hall where Buddha image is housed), Hatto (lecture hall) & the monks' quarters all in a straight line one after another.

To enter the temple, you normally have to cross a bridge over a stream or pond, symbolizing the crossing from earthly world to that of Buddha.

Zen temples are normally less colorful than their Buddhist counterpart, intending to be so to facilitate enlightenment by the emptying of mind of worldly illusions.

Instant Answers: Yokohama

Comments

Yokohama Favorites

Reviews and photos of Yokohama favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Yokohama sightseeing.