Yokosuka Favorites

• Favorites
    by salisbury3933

Most Recent Favorites in Yokosuka

• hippie005's Profile Photo

Please learn a tiny bit of Japanese!

by hippie005 Written Dec 31, 2009

Favorite thing: Yokosuka locals are some of the best people you will meet. You just have to get past the shell which can be difficult sometimes. My mother is Japanese so it's a little bit easier for me to understand how they keep people at bay and try not to be the nail that sticks out. Be an example of goodness and they will accept you and not think so poorly of Americans who live there or foreigners who visit. I found that if I used my limited Japanese to try to communicate, it went over so well and made the Japanese locals so happy. I have a well-worn translation guide that I carried with me everywhere and I had the most fun just leafing through and finding phrases I needed or showing the folks I was talking to the Kanji/Kana/Hiragana translation. I miss the fun of trying to communicate!

Fondest memory: I miss everything from Yokosuka except for some of the ignorant Americans who would cause a scene because they didn't understand Japanese. Get educated!

• salisbury3933's Profile Photo

American influence

by salisbury3933 Written Oct 21, 2007

Favorite thing: With the US Navy having a base nearby, there is understandably quite an American influence in town.

This is obvious as you walk past businesses, many of whom cater to the servicepeople and their families.

Instant Answers: Yokosuka

Comments

Yokosuka Favorites

Reviews and photos of Yokosuka favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Yokosuka sightseeing.