Kawaguchi-ko Off The Beaten Path

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Kawaguchi-ko

• kevarms's Profile Photo

Muse Museum (Dolls)

by kevarms Written Jan 18, 2007

When my wife told me she wanted to visit a doll museum I wasn't particularly excited, especially when she told me would walk there. It's practically on the opposite shore of the lake from the station and I got less excited the more lost and tired I became. It took about an hour to get there. Once inside though I was glad we made the effort.
    The museum displays the work of the accomplished doll maker Atae Yuki and I have to say his dolls are eerily realistic. The attention to detail is just amazing. My favourites were the passengers sitting on a tram.
    You can see his work at the website below.

• Museum Visits

• maverick-mw's Profile Photo

by maverick-mw Written Aug 6, 2004
    Mitsu-Toge-Yama

About 5 stops on the train line out of Kawaguchi-ko is the Mitsutoge stop.

From here, if you follow signs to the "Green Centre" you will pass an impressive waterfall before arriving at the start of the Mitsu-Toge-Yama trail.

The trail itself is relatively demanding due to the rugged terrain, and is very steep at times, but not very difficult to anyone with a reasonable level of fitness.

About half way up you will arrive at a location with 88 small Buddha statues all wearing the red aprons. From here, you will pass under a rock-climing wall before emerging at some huts near the peak.

Allow 4-5 hours for round trip if walking back to Kawaguchi-ko down the other side.

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Kawaguchi-ko

Comments

Kawaguchi-ko Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Kawaguchi-ko off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kawaguchi-ko sightseeing.