Pontocho, Kyoto

Know about this? Rate It!

• This guy had to buy a red scooter to work here!
    This guy had to buy a red scooter to...
    by lordkuz
    That guys thumb is still up there!
    LETS MAKE A DEAL
  • lordkuz's Profile Photo

PHOTOGENIC PLACES - AND PEOPLE

by lordkuz Written Apr 26, 2006

LETS MAKE A DEAL

Favorite thing: DONT BE SHY ABOUT TAKING PEOPLES PHOTOS. In politically correct Australia, we fear taking peoples photos. So I have to do it as candidly as possible. But in Japan, Kyoto in particular - it was more than welcome.
    Beautiful mountain scenes, shrines, temples, cherry blossoms, geishas, traditional dances, interesting monuments and all kinds of street scenes - all all great photographic targets. But they are usually easy ones to obtain.
    I value the photos I have taken of people the most. Its not easy to catch the expression and pose that you see for a passing moment that catches your eye. By the time you raise the camera into position (I often dont put it to my eye anymore), the moment has passed. In the end, when you do catch the right moment - you still have all the other factors to consider, depth of field , lighting and more.

Fondest memory: Yes, we saw a lot of the major sights, rode the romantic train at Arashiyama, saw the cherry blossoms at Maruyama park, and lots more. However, the walk down the back alleys - and the chance meeting with "the extraverts" of Kyoto, is my fondest memory of this trip to Kyoto.

Instant Answers: Kyoto