Know about this? Rate It!
Visit the Monkey park at Arashiyama
If you fancy something different to do in Kyoto or simply suffering from temple fatigue and like animals, how about a trip to the Monkey Park at Arashiyama. You enter the park strolling up a steep mountain path, when you get to the top you get to the feeding area which has an incredible view of Kyoto and lots of monkeys (the park has around 170 Japanese monkeys). You can buy some monkey nuts or apples (100 yen as at March 2005) to feed the monkeys but the general rule is that you can only feed them in the feeding area. It's a good idea to keep the bag of food away from the edge of the cage as the monkeys will grab it from you. If you continue away from the feeding area there is a play area with swings and a slide where you can watch the monkeys playing around which makes for some good photo opportunities. It's really good fun and great to watch the interaction and different personalities from close proximity and makes a nice change from seeing monkeys in cages.
- Adventure Travel
- Family Travel
Arashiyama is a lovely and very pleasant area just northwest of central Kyoto city. It isn't on most visitors list of places to visit, but if you have an extra day and temple fatigue, a trip to Arashiyama is a great way to spend the day.
Cherry blossoms (in the spring)
Quaint shops, country-style
Tenryuji Temple (if your temple fatigue isn't too severe)
From Kyoto Station to Arashiyama, take the JR Sagano Line (San-in Line) to Saga-Arashiyama Station (about 15 minutes)
Walk 5 minutes into the centre of Arashiyama.
On foot is the best way to explore Arashiyama
- Hiking and Walking
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Book without the gamble!
- Tingo.com If prices drop after you book, Get Money Back automatically!
Kyoto Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Sibu Hotels
- Rajagiriya Hotels
- Murree Hotels
- Dau Hotels
- Williamsburg Village
- Sequoia National Park
- Chicago Off The Beaten Path
- Georgia Off The Beaten Path
- Colorado Off The Beaten Path
- Boston Off The Beaten Path
- Tennessee Off The Beaten Path
- Philadelphia Off The Beaten Path
- Portland Off The Beaten Path
- Key West Off The Beaten Path
- Outside Rome
- Texas Off The Beaten Path
- Mackinac Island Off The Beaten Path
- Washington D.C. Off The Beaten Path