Know about this? Rate It!
This is a huge temple complex situated in the eastern part of Kyoto at the foot of the hills, and can be considered off the beaten track as it doesn't seem to get as much visitors as the other more "celebrated" world heritage site.
Nanzenji Temple is a very attractive temple situated on the Philosopher's Walk route and entrance into the temple complex and grounds are free.
The admission you need to pay for are:
The two-storey main gate to Nanzenji that charges 500yen for you to climb to the second floor to enjoy the surrounding views.
This is a smallish temple just behind the aqueduct. It charges 300yen and is of interest to those who likes Zen Buddhism.
This is the abbot's quarters which charges 500yen.
Visit my Nanzenji Temple Travelogue
Nearest bus stop: Nanzenji, Eikando-michi. You can take bus 5 from Kyoto Station
Nearest subway station: Keage. From here, it is a 10 mins walk to the temple
Open daily, 8.30am-5pm
- Arts and Culture
- Religious Travel
After walking up the mountain, we came down the hill at the other side where encountered this aquaduct. It was built to bring water from the mountains to the emperors palace. It seemed a bit out of place though. It looks so very Roman, not japanese at all.
When you visit NANZENJI...
When you visit NANZENJI TEMPLE, take the time and pay the extra fee to climb the main gate. It's a great view of the city and the history of it is neat. Also next to Nanzenji is Tenjuan Temple, with a really exquisite garden.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Book online.
- Hotels.com See maps & reviews for over 140,000 Hotels worldwide!
Kyoto Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Batala Hotels
- Myrtle Springs Hotels
- Rwanda Hotels
- Matagorda Island Hotels
- Boracay Island
- Abu Dhabi
- Jamaica Off The Beaten Path
- Atlanta Off The Beaten Path
- Nashville Off The Beaten Path
- Arizona Off The Beaten Path
- Toronto Off The Beaten Path
- Alabama Off The Beaten Path
- Crete Island Off The Beaten Path
- San Francisco Off The Beaten Path
- New York City Off The Beaten Path
- Vermont Off The Beaten Path
- Lexington Off The Beaten Path
- Ottawa Off The Beaten Path