Food Specialties, Kyoto

• looks strange but it's soooo good !!!!!!!
    looks strange but it's soooo good...
    by jlanza29
    At least, that's what the menu said
    by SallyM
    Bracken Jelly, or Warabimochi
    by SallyM
  • jlanza29's Profile Photo

Green Tea ice cream !!!!

by jlanza29 Written May 6, 2012

looks strange but it's soooo good !!!!!!!

I have to say at first it didn't appeal to me, but as soon as I had one I was upset that I didn't have one before !!!! wow they are soooooo good !!!!! and they are sold everywhere ..... they usually cost from 250 yens to 400 yens ..... I'm glad I tried it the second day we were in Kyoto ... after that I had one every day we were there !!!!!

• SallyM's Profile Photo

Warabimochi: Bracken Jelly

by SallyM Written May 2, 2011
    Bracken Jelly, or Warabimochi

When I saw something described on a menu as 'bracken jelly' I just had to sample it. It came with a topping of soya flour and was rather nice - quite a delicate flavour, but not too sweet.

It came with a serving of matcha green tea.

Make Traditional Kyoto Sweets

by vic&michael Written Jun 19, 2006

My sweets!

I love eating Japanese sweets, with a cup of green tea. They're so good, because the sweet white or red bean paste melts in your mouth, and it's not Too sweet. They have a very delicate flavour. Also, aesthetic is very important in Japan, and the Japanese sweets are always in a design that matches the season at the time. The designs are simple and are supposed to 'suggest' at what it is, rather than be 'in your face'.

We started out with rolls of what looked like play-dough / plasticine. This was the ingredients we worked with. Made out of sweet white bean paste, and kept moist.

We divided them into equal parts so we could make 5 sweets.

I made a leaf (with dewdrop), a flower, another leaf (with caterpiller), a rabbit, and a frog. :-)
    boy, it was a lot of fun. Made me feel so young again, like I was playing with play-dough, except these were really yummy and sweet to eat afterwards! (I know some kids are tempted to eat their play-dough creations...) haha.

Problem was, they only stayed fresh for one day, so I had to eat all of them, and felt a little hyper from sugar!

• Study Abroad

Bento Lunchbox

by vic&michael Written Jan 25, 2006

Bento Lunchbox...yummy

I love Japanese food. The lunchbox "bento" is one of my favorites! It can be cheap and tasty in a plastic throw-away box from the convienience store or supermarket. Or, it can be in a lacquerware box from a classy restaurant. It contains sashimi (raw fish/squid) pickled vegetables, vegetables, fruit, rice, salted fish...etc. And presented so beautifully too. If you are lucky enough, like me, you may be invited to a tea ceremony, and have some powdered green tea whisked up for you, and then enjoy a special lunchbox afterwards.

• Luxury Travel

• konniemario's Profile Photo

Yummy Green Tea Ice Cream

by konniemario Written Oct 30, 2005
    Every lick is delicious!

Never to miss while in Kyoto is those yummy Green Tea Ice Cream (Mocha as they call it). They can be found in most streets. Prices range from 180 yen to 300 yen. You can also get them from Haagen Dazs vending machines and a small cup costs 260 yen. Did I say it's yummy?!

• Architecture

• vic&michael's Profile Photo

Have Green Tea in Everything!

by vic&michael Written Oct 10, 2005

Green Tea Latte!

Japanese powdered green tea is called "Matcha".
    At first, I was surprised to find Matcha Ice-cream..but when I tried it, it was surprisingly good. Matcha ice cream is sold just about everywhere with normal ice creams.
    Also, the Japanese make Matcha noodles, Matcha in rice (very delicious!), Matcha Shakes, and Matcha Lattes.
    My favorite cafe at the moment is a Matcha cafe that sells everything with matcha in it!
    I recommend Waffles with Matcha ice cream and vanilla ice cream.
    Wow, and you sure get a caffine high afterwards!
    There are many cafes around central Kyoto that sell Matcha-flavored food! Try it!

• caravaggio's Profile Photo

DONT FORGET THOSE TRADITIONAL SWEETS

by caravaggio Written Jul 28, 2006

PERFECT!! DELICIOUS!! There are many kind of those sweets and every of them worth to taste..better than sushi!! where? you will see many of those sweet shops especially in Gion and central station.

Instant Answers: Kyoto