Nightclubs and bars in Osaka

Most Viewed Nightlife in Osaka

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Blarney Stone: An Irish bar

by toonsarah Updated Dec 1, 2013

Every city with any claim to a nightlife must these days have at least one Irish bar. We don’t make a habit of frequenting these but in Osaka we were tempted by what we read about the Blarney Stone in my Lonely Planet guide-book and decided to give it a go, so we arranged to meet up here with Phil from our group after dinner. And we had a fun time, helped perhaps by the fact that for several days previously we hadn’t had much chance for a night out.

This is not the easiest place to find. It’s hidden in the maze of lanes behind the Umeda OS Hotel on Mido-Suji, on the one that runs parallel to the main road immediately behind the hotel (called Sonezaki I believe). Look for a sign outside a narrow and anonymous entryway, then take the lift to the sixth floor. We were wondering what we would find at the top and were not entranced by the corridor that looked more like a cheap office building than anything else. But push open the door marked Blarney Stone and you are immediately transported – if not (definitely not!) to Ireland, at least to a weird and fascinating image of what the Japanese expect Irish pubs to look like. This is a cross between a US sports bar, an English (rather than Irish) pub and something uniquely Japanese. It’s cosy, down-to-earth and strangely appealing.

I’m not sure if there was a particular reason for cocktails being on special offer that night, but when I saw that they were all just 400¥ I had to indulge. This was a bargain price for my good (though not especially strong) Cosmopolitans, but beer was more expensive at 700¥ a pint for local brews and 900¥ for imports such as Chris's very good Kilkenny.

There was live music from a band of three US guys who were obviously regulars here and were pretty good. It was fun to watch the antics (I can't really justify calling it dancing) of some local lasses who were trying to impress a handful of older Western men – and who to be fair did seem easily impressed! There was no cover charge despite the live music, which according to the website is the pub’s regular policy (and there’s music every weekend night). I think from info on the same website that the band we saw are called Bad Luck & Trouble!

We had already eaten but if you’re looking for a change from Japanese food you’ll find pub classics here such as fish and chips, burgers, sausages and mash, meat pies etc. There are also bar snacks like nachos and nuts.

This is my last tip: please click here if you’d like to return to my Intro page and leave a comment.

Dress Code: Defintely an "anything goes" sort of place, although the local girls were dressed to kill!

The bar Bad Luck & Trouble On Sonezaki near the pub

• L&L bar: wen the sun goes down

by landl Written Nov 14, 2013

if your starting your night in osaka or even finishing it.i recommend L&L bar .it located in ame mura [ american village ] .area made for nightlife .cozy lounge and bar with English speaking staff ,foreigners and Japanese. good Mediterranean food ,falafel,lamb and homos.open till 5 in the morning every day .if your lucky the basement floor is open and over there they held dj party's.most are free of charge .on the f1 you can also smoke hookah [shisha]. and making friends with the locals .no dress code very casual.

Dress Code: no dress code

opening party time party time late shisha food food food
    • Music

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Cellar Bar Kent, Dotonbori

by Ewingjr98 Written Sep 30, 2013

Cellar Bar Kent is a small English-style pub located in the basement of a building in Dotonbori, Osaka, just a block from the canal. This small bar, located down a set of steep, narrow steps, has all the trappings of a classy pub, including dim lights, leather furniture, wood trim, and a fancy bartender who is skilled at mixing drinks. It is also pretty expensive and with a very limited beer selection to go along with their extensive collection of liquors.

We had a pint of Guinness, a mixed drink and a snack of broiled sardines with cheese. The sardines were very good, but our bill was around 3,000 for this small snack. Quite expensive, even for Japan.

Nice enough place, but a little too fancy for my taste.

• mikegr's Profile Photo

Tins Hall: Live music and the best burger in Osaka!

by mikegr Updated Apr 4, 2011

Without doubt my favourite bar in Osaka. Unbelieveably friendly staff (Norri, Shingo, Mie and Masa are legends!) live music at least 2 nights a week and great food (check out the huge burgers with potato wedges for just 800 yen!). Customers are a good mix of Japanese and foreigners, and the place is friendly enough so you don't feel out of place if you go there on your own. Also it doesn't have the "meat market feel of many of the other bars popular with foreigners. Tuesday nights and Saturday nights are particularly busy - although Tuesday night has no live music.

The bar opens at 6pm until late, is closed on sundays, happy hour (300 yen beer) is from opening time until 9pm.

They also have cheap drinks on nights when there is a full moon, and all food is 500 yen on public holiday nights!

Dress Code: No dress code.

High Performance Things - at Tin's Hall

Drunk Bears: A great selection of quality brews

by Circle88 Written May 25, 2010

This little pub hidden away in Osaka`s Northern centre Umeda is a great escape. Lots of quality beer from around the globe(although recently the number has decreased I think) and good food for this type of place. The place is divided into two spaces, the bar area and the restaurant area. I have only frequented the bar area which is great to get away at the end of the day but the restaurant space looks good too. Music is pretty good too differing from the standard pop and rnb onslaught in most commercial places. Prices are varying depending on what you order.
    Every 8th of the month people wearing glasses get a 200yen discount on all drinks (I think food too) as its glasses day. Also for 300 yen you can get all-you-can-eat peanuts which I always honour.

Dress Code: No dress code

• Beer Tasting

• Circle88's Profile Photo

Hub: The new pub chain that is here to stay

by Circle88 Written May 25, 2010

Hubs have started popping up like mushrooms around Osaka. Anybody remember the old Pig and Wistle. Well that is no more but Hub has taken over the spot. There is one more Hub in the Namba-Shinsaibashi area and one more that I know of in Umeda. Mixed crowed with lots of japanese and foreigners.
    5-7 is happy hour were all coctails are half price. They also offer Hub ale which has become one of my recent favorites. They also serve a variety of food but I wouldnt vouch for it though most of my friends actually like it.

Dress Code: No dress code

Doghouse Inn Pub: Tsuruhashi by night

by Circle88 Written Apr 26, 2010

If you want to get away from the norm but still have a great time this is the place to go. They offer a nice selection of local beer from microbreweries and English beer. The place is run by Osugi san and his wife Katsumi. A selection of English dishes is served including Haggis.

Dress Code: No dress code.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Kitashinchi

by Gili_S Written Dec 1, 2009

This area named Kitashinchi is one of the most popular areas for nightlife in Osaka. It has many restaurants, bars and cubs. It was anyway just between the Osaka station and our Hotel, so it was perfect to hang around here for food and drinks.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Pub Donna Canna

by Gili_S Written Dec 1, 2009

This was a small pub not far from our hotel where you sit around a big bar tables and blended with the locals. It was full with local people drinking beers, wine and cocktails and yes, they were curious to know where are we from and they had enough to drink not to be shy and ask us :) It was nice place to relax after dinner and we had a couple of GT here :) (Image 3)

• Atre's Profile Photo

Shinsaibashi: Lights district

by Atre Written Aug 19, 2007

Shinsaibashi is THE place to be seen, if you know what I mean. Its a great spot for checking out all the cool kids and their hairstyles and fashion, hah. Lots of tourists flock there and its a very busy spot, but the shopping arcades and sign lights reflected in the Dotombori river make it a must see spot to check out.

The famous lights

• Shinsaibashi: Bar Hopping Tour

by bretosaka Written Apr 28, 2007

As I promised before, I went on that guided bar tour in Osaka. It was awesome! I had been on a bar tour in Rome before, but I got more free stuff on this one - a lot more locals on the tour too, rather than just being tourists in Rome. I highly recommend it for visitors or people new in town - it's exactly as advertised: A Crash Course in Osaka's Nightlife.

• Beer Tasting
    • Singles
    • Festivals

• tenshiemi's Profile Photo

Cinquecento: Cozy martini bar

by tenshiemi Written Apr 15, 2007

Cinquecento is a cozy martini bar where all the drinks and food are 500 yen. It's my friend's favorite bar in Osaka and he really gets around =) I've been there a few times and the food was tasty and the drinks were good. It's a pretty mixed crowd with lots of non-Japanese and very friendly staff.

Cinquecento is open 7 days a week from 8pm to 5am.

• Amerika-mura: A great place to party

by Cal79 Written Apr 2, 2007

This is the place to go to see where locals party. There are live houses (live music venues) such as "King Cobra" and various eating and drinking establishments. Take a walk around and you're sure to find something to satisfy. Observing the behaviour of the local kids is entertaining in itself. Many of the bars are below and above street level and are very small, try 3-4 people! There are also nightclubs catering to different tastes and many places to eat. Check it out! Highly recommended.

Dress Code: If you want to blend in, don't be seen in anything unfashionable or stylistically bland.

• Music

• Osaka: Osaka nightlife?

by calblue Updated Mar 30, 2007

Hello everybody,
    Just signed up on this service. I`ve been living in Tokyo for a couple of years and love it ,though it can be too hectic at times with all the people rushing to and from work. Probably the best aspect of Tokyo for me is the nightlife. From Roppongi to Shibuya there seems an endless stream of bars, clubs, and pubs. I especially like club Air.
    Yesterday, I came across the post about Osaka having a guided tour and was quite surprised. I checked with my friends and to the best of their knowledge Tokyo doesn`t have a guided tour. Is their really a decent night life in Osaka? Judging by what I saw on the Internet there is. Probably sounds arrogant for people outside of Tokyo but never thought there was much going on in the rest of Japan in terms of nightlife. I`m a little curious to see what this 'guided tour' is like. Won`t be able to make it down to Osaka until summer though. Would like to hear from anyone (especially Tokyo people) to see how the Osaka nightlife measures up.

• Osaka Nightlife 101: Guided Bar Tour Osaka

by bretosaka Updated Mar 14, 2007

I've heard there's going to be a Guided Bar Tour of Osaka starting April 21st - I just moved to Osaka and I'm really excited about it. For about 30 US dollars (3000 yen) you get a guided tour of 4 bars and a club, the price includes 4 shots, Free Food, 20-30% off certain drinks and free admission into a Nightclub - After I take the tour I'll let everyone know what it was like!

Dress Code: Comfortable Shoes

Latest: Jun 1, 2014
Hotel Com's Osaka
1 Review & Opinion

Instant Answers: Osaka

Comments

Osaka Nightlife

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Osaka locals.
Map of Osaka