The Pig & Whistle, Osaka

Ohatsutenjin Building B1, 2-5 Sonezaki Kita-ku

• Benoit & I take a break from the fish & chips
    Benoit & I take a break from the fish &...
    by PartyRambo
  • "Right - that's 6 Guinness & 1 Yebisu......
    by PartyRambo
  • PartyRambo's Profile Photo

The Pig & Whistle, Umeda: English-style pub, anyone?

by PartyRambo Updated Apr 4, 2011

I lived 5 months in London, and have had a fondness for British pubs since.
    I try to locate one whenever I'm travelling more than a couple of days, and here, in a foreign land of a different language, I simply didn't feel comfortable stopping at any of the local spots with my limited Japanese skills.
    I sought out the Pig & Whistle, from a brochure in the hotel - I believe there are several throughout Japan, with 2 in Osaka, one very close to my hotel - I could walk there, so off I went after a day of touring & a hot bath.
    The ambience was truly English, with the exception being the Japanese waitstaff.
    Guinness on tap, fish & chips, and some more conventional English cuisine, I felt right at home.
    Naturally, the first person I spoke to was a Frenchman, but at least there was a common language to start a conversation with!

• Beer Tasting

• PartyRambo's Profile Photo

The Pig and Whistle: English-style pub, anyone?, part 2

by PartyRambo Written Mar 29, 2003
    Benoit & I take a break from the fish & chips

PIG & WHISTLE.
    A very old sign of which there are still a number
    Thought to have been adapted from the Saxon piggen (milking pail) and wassail (be in health).
    In early days, beer was served in pails and customers dipped their mugs in and served themselves.
    The mugs were called pigs.
    An alternative suggested origin is that it was Pige-Washael, the Angels' Salutation to the Virgin Mary, which in Danish-Saxon meant "Virgin, Hail" or "Health to the Maiden".

• Beer Tasting