Safety Tips in Osaka

• Warnings and Dangers
    by jk_zeng
    One quick drink they said...
    by OsakaHatter
  • Warnings and Dangers
    by PartyRambo

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Osaka

• ChuckG's Profile Photo

Love Hotels...

by ChuckG Updated Apr 4, 2011

Just a quick tip....not the place to spend the night if you want quietness...they exist to bring a hide out for some unknown activities.

But when you check the pricing at the entrance...there is no mistake...

So if you find a good deal at a hotel, be careful !!!

Love Hotel

• FuGU~!!Curb your curiousity!!!

by jk_zeng Written Jun 4, 2007

Lots of us tourists are fascinated about trying the famous deadly puffer fish delicacy, but please trust me, it did not taste good at all. It was definitely money not well spent. The sashimi tasted like rubber, and the nabe version was pretty plain.
    Well, i know many of you will ignore my warning just as i had ignored others'. We are all moths attracted to the flame. But i have to express that the fugu dinner was my greatest regret in the whole of my japan trip. Good luck guys!!!

• kevarms's Profile Photo

Shin Osaka Station

by kevarms Written Jan 18, 2007

If you are moving on from Osaka by shinkansen you may want to give extra time to find the correct platform and car position, especially if you have a lot of luggage. They probably are there somewhere but I haven't seen an elevator and sometimes it can be confusing to find where you should be for your train.

• Trains

• kevarms's Profile Photo

Immigration at Osaka Airport

by kevarms Updated Jan 18, 2007

I arrived in Osaka from Seoul and was rather surprised to see that at the immigration control at KIX there were 4 desks open for about 100 Japanese, and the same number of desks open for about 500 non-Japanese!

This was a new personal record for me standing in line (90 minutes) and not a very pleasant introduction to Japan.

But once I cleared immigration everything went very smoothly. Just be prepared for a long wait at immigration.

UPDATE: I've since flown into Kansai several times and it seems my first time here was just a bad day. Subsequent arrivals have seen been go through immigration very quickly, all the desks are opened once Japanese passengers are processed

• nickinosaka's Profile Photo

Take A Deep Breath--Or Else!

by nickinosaka Written Sep 21, 2005

If you are in the Thieves' Market area (see my shopping hint), or going south from Den Den (Electronics) Town, or west from Tennoji Station, be aware of an olfactory hazard. There is an overpass under which a lot of garbage and human waste is disposed, and it smells like a dozen ripe outhouses and three dead people. I changed the route I took when I biked to work to avoid this place. Take a deep breath and pick up the pace; weak stomachs may be overcome.

• Yakuza strip joints

by osakaben Written Sep 5, 2005

Be careful about going into any adult enterainment here. Most are owned by the Yakuza(Mafia) and they will try to say you owe them a great amount of money for cover charge. If you don't pay, you get robbed and beat up!

• OsakaHatter's Profile Photo

Dangerous Drunks.

by OsakaHatter Written May 2, 2005

Don't trust these people. Just don't. Don't start drinking with them. Don't engage them in conversation. It'll all end in tears, I'm warning you now.
    See my Dangers and Annoyances travelogue for more details.

One quick drink they said...

• peemapat's Profile Photo

Do not travel with Thai Airways

by peemapat Written Aug 17, 2004

I was travel with TG from Bangkok to Osaka and found that their service are very poor. I am a Thai people but I have to warn you that the service quality is very bad, especially for Thai people ourselves. Maybe air hostess would behave nicely with foreigner, but not for Thai people.

• mikegr's Profile Photo

Shin-Sekai - I like it - you may not!

by mikegr Updated Aug 13, 2004

This is the area of Osaka where you will find find yourself if you do the sensible thing and visit Spa World.

To be blunt this area of the city has a bad reputation after dark (in daylight it is fine) - however if you are just walking between Shin Imamiya or Dobutsuen-mae stations and Spa World you will not encounter any problems.

If you go beyond Spa World you will find the seedier side of Osaka and, possibly, some unsavoury characters.

That said I really like this area of the city (also Known as Nishinari) with the eye catching Tsutenkaku Tower looking over it, and have not any problems. Its a great place to wander between eating establishments and try the inexpensive kushikatsu (meat,fish,vegetable or cheese coated in bread crumbs and fried on a skewer served with a tangy dipping sauce and raw cabbage - very good!) and the people are generally very friendly - although English is rarely spoken.

Avoid this area if you are of a nervous disposition - otherwise enjoy it.

Tsutenkaku Tower in Shin-sekai.  A retro throwback

• PartyRambo's Profile Photo

Male? Alone? "We have girls, you like!"

by PartyRambo Updated Mar 29, 2003

Living in Toronto, and having lived in Montreal & London, I've seen the seedy side of the city, but I expected the Japanese to be a bit more "subdued" in the 'adult entertainment' business.
    While wandering through this shopping arcade, I quickly became aware that virtually every guy standing to the side (mostly wearing black suits) were either pimps or pushers.
    Now, that doesn't bother me so much as this being an open, public place with lots of families out & about - even grocery stores were open here.
    Probably 20% of the businesses, I later found out, were "hostess bars" - (the following represents what I have learned - I was not witness to it, as I'm smart enough to have said "no" the first time I was approached!) - you're hustled in by the promise of an attractive young lady having a drink with you, and after a few minutes of small talk, she'll be 'busy' and have to leave - you then get the bill for anywhere from $50 to $200 for the 2 drinks!!!
    The less-reputable places will also presumably provide hostesses who have to leave (with you if the wallet is full!).

Osaka Hotels

Latest: Jun 1, 2014
Hearton Hotel Nishi Umeda
Latest: Jun 17, 2014

Instant Answers: Osaka

Comments

Osaka Warnings and Dangers

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Osaka locals.
Map of Osaka