Mishima Things to Do

• Spring Water from Ground Water of Mount Fuji
    Spring Water from Ground Water of Mount...
  • Another nice park with Mount Fuji spring water
    Another nice park with Mount Fuji spring...
    Lava Mound Formed by Mount Fuji Eruption

Most Recent Things to Do in Mishima

Climbing Fuji

by chodearm Updated Aug 16, 2004

Climb Mt. Fuji

It took me about 4-5 hours up and about 6 down a different route. I hear to climb before sunset to get to the top and watch the sunrise. It is said that the Japanese flag is actually the view of the rising sun as viewed from the peak of Fuji. The Gotemba route is the least tiring (steep) but ends up being alot longer. I climbed the route that faces the ocean, called Fujinomiya. It was amazing to watch a cloud come right at you and then engulf you, wait it out and blast into clear air on the other end. It was August but there was still a patch of ice here and there, with temperatures around 32 degrees farenheit. I learned that water is more important to have than 3 cameras as I did, and bring some food containing high percentages of sugar, you are going to need the rush.

CHECK OUT THE MT.FUJI TRAVELOGUE FOR AN IN DEPTH WRITE UP ABOUT THIS EXPERIENCE!

3/4 way up
    • Mountain Climbing

Monks

by chodearm Updated Aug 16, 2004

Funny story......

I'm at our house in Japan, Yuki is in the shower, its just the two of us. I hang shirtless regulary and today was no exception.

"DING DONG" the door bell rings.

I swing the door open to find a monk before me. His face spells out a suprised look as I spill forward the same. We study each other for a breif second, he makes a grunt sound and pushes past me. His robe grazes my arm hair sending tori hara (chicken skin, our equivalent to Goose Bumps) covering my epidermis, on this humid semi-tropical day. He contines quickly removing his two toed foot pieces and darting into the tatami room (traditional Japanese room, you know with the screens and all). Shortly I hear moans and groans arising with taps and rings of bells. With utter confusion and fright I run to the bathroom, rip the door open and notify Yuki of the wild bandit monk.

"Its fine Johnny, he comes every year during Obon to bless the shrine in the Tatami room."

"Oh..."

Mishima Taisha and the monk
    • Religious Travel
    • Festivals

River Walk

by chodearm Updated Aug 5, 2004

There is a slow moving river that has the clearest water I have ever seen moseying down through the center of the city. The walk is like a controlled rock jumping mission that you would do on a babbling brook through the mountains. The runoff is from Mt. Fuji being that Mishima sits in the wake of its Volcanic meltdown down in the valley. When arriving theres usually kids there looking for frogs or butterflies, and the scene is so serene and peaceful. It seems the people are there completely appreciating what the earth is giving them.

mishima river walk
    • Adventure Travel

Susono

by chodearm Updated Aug 5, 2004

Susono is real small town living in Japan. Once again I'm the only white man in sight, thats great. Our home falls into Mishima and Susono but more apart of Mishima. Susono is littered with Temples and home that a re still barely standing. Its also a place with normal everyday living needs, in that they have huge American sized supermarkets, this can be good and bad.

Yuki climbing down from the house to Mishima
    • Architecture

• taigaa001's Profile Photo

Genbe River and Time Bell

by taigaa001 Updated May 2, 2011

Time Bell in Mishima alongside the Genbe river is one of the popular scenic sites in Mishima. Genbe river comes from a spring in Rakujuen Park and walking along the Genbe river is quite refreshing.

Genbe River#1 Time Bell of Mishima Genbe River#2
    • Photography

This is Fuji from Mishima

by chodearm Updated Aug 5, 2004

Fuji from a spotting in Mishima. I would just ride my bike through these farms and rice paddys and then every second there would be another view of this momma always looming over me.

August, Fuge hairless

Instant Answers: Mishima

Comments

Mishima Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Mishima things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mishima sightseeing.