Oyama Travel Guide

  • Subashiri Sengen Shrine
    Subashiri Sengen Shrine
    by taigaa001
  • The Entrance Torii Gate
    The Entrance Torii Gate
    by taigaa001
  • Romon Gate
    Romon Gate
    by taigaa001

Oyama Things to Do

  • taigaa001's Profile Photo
    The Entrance Torii Gate 4 more images

    by taigaa001 Updated Jun 9, 2013

    Alternate names: Subashiri Sengen Shrine, Higashiguchi Fuji Motomiya Sengen Shrine
    Status: UNESCO World Heritage Candidate Site

    The shrine originated from the prayer site to appease the Mount Fuji Eruption in 802 A.D. is best known as the former start of Subashiri Route of Mount Fuji Climbing. These days, however, most of the Mount Fuji climbers who choose Subashiri route no longer start from the shrine about 800 meters above sea level. They start the hike from Fifth station of Subashiri Route about 1970 m ASL. The shrine has a lot of monuments and artifacts related to Mount Fuji Pilgrimmage groups called Fuji-ko who used Subashiri area as the base of Mount Fuji climbing. As the entrance Torii gate of the shrine shows Mount Fuji has been expressed in Kanji in various ways. In photo #1 the Kanji characters FUJI literally means "No two alike". Both Main Hall and Romon Gate are built after the Mount Fuji Eruption in 1707 which destroyed not only the shrine but Subashiri village as a whole. Main Hall was rebuilt in 1718 and Romon Gate was donated in 1767. The shrine precinct also has some huge trees such as 500-year-old Japanese Elm Tree, 24 meters in height, 6 meters in root circumference and 4 meters in eye-level circumference. Guardian statues of the Romon Gate was donated by one of the Fuji-ko groups.

    Related to:
    • Photography
    • Historical Travel
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Oyama

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

62 travelers online now

Comments

Oyama Travel Guide
Map of Oyama

View all Oyama hotels