Festivals and Carnivals, Tokyo

Know about this? Rate It!

Asakusa O-mikoshi - Portable Shrine
    by FelixB
  • Festivals and Carnivals
    by luciano
  • FelixB's Profile Photo

Asakusa Sanja Matsuri

by FelixB Written Apr 13, 2005

Asakusa O-mikoshi - Portable Shrine

Favorite thing: O-matsuri or festivals are a very common feature of Japanese religious life, especially during the summer months. There are a range of different types. For example, portable shrines called o-mikoshi, sometimes as havy as a ton, are carried through the neighbourhood. This is done for the gods enshrined in the o-miskoshi not to get lonely. The most famous one of that kind is the Sanja Matsuri that is held in Asakusa on the third Saturday and Sunday in May at the Kannon Temple. very interesting is that there is not only one of those shrines but 100 of them.

Fondest memory: Close to the temple is a bureau that displays one of the O-mikoshi. After asking they let me take the picture that you can see on the right side.

• Festivals
    • Religious Travel

• luciano's Profile Photo

luciano's General Tip

by luciano Updated Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: I was walking around Ginza at night; not by the big avenue with the expensive department stores, but through small streets not far from there.

By chance, I found a very small shrine's festival: they were cutting the traffic of just one side street, and it was impossible to notice them from more than two blocks away. When they lifted up and started to carry a mikoji (small replica of the shrine), I began to take pictures until I almost finished the film. At that moment, one of the men approached and asked me where I was from, and then he invited me to join, and he took my picture! I couldn't believe it.

The conclusion is: Japan is safe and full of hidden surprises, so walk around because you never know what you may find.

Instant Answers: Tokyo